AA getting 4 gates in LAX T6.

IORFA

Veteran
Feb 7, 2003
AA made a deal with UA to take over their 4 gates in T6. Supposed to close in the 3Q. This is a good sign. We still technically have one gate in T3 as well. Local management made no comment about that gate. Looks like there is going to be some shuffling going on soon. I hope the first thing they do is refresh that dump known as the UA gates. Also included in the deal is counter and office space.

and UA's pulldown of LAX kicks into high gear.

congrats to AA but LAX will be a customer service nightmare for them with operations spread out over 4 terminals.

Would AA keep the one exclusive/preferred gate in T-3 if it obtains four gates in T-6?   Apparently,  US has been using the other two gates (divested as part of the antitrust settlement) in T-3 as common-use gates for flights to PHL, CLT and PHX.   

FWAAA said:
Would AA keep the one exclusive/preferred gate in T-3 if it obtains four gates in T-6?   Apparently,  US has been using the other two gates (divested as part of the antitrust settlement) in T-3 as common-use gates for flights to PHL, CLT and PHX.
I hope so. We can use all the gates we can get!

I assume these are gates 60-63, and possibly includes the United Lounge?

If it includes lounge space, I'd say put JFK and SFO departures there for sure.

No word on lounge space. I would assume they won't need it anymore. I'll ask. You would really put those flights there, instead of 40 and 41? Of course after 41 reopens this summer. Between 40, 41 and 43 those seem better for those types of high demand flights. There are a lot of connections to those places and T6 wouldn't be all that convenient. After the TBIT connector is finished T4 will become more available. Mark, what kind of info can you find on it? LAWA needs to redo the public restrooms by the UA gates in T6 as well ASAP. They are gross. Re read the announcement. They say "some" flights may eventually move from T3 to T6. So maybe they plan on keeping the one gate.

If you reopen the T4-T5 connector and takeover the UA lounge space, then yes, I think it's a good idea to put the "shuttles" there to JFK and SFO (I'm assuming SFO frequency will keep going up).

Walking from T4 to T6 is relatively quick, it's not much different than walking between a dozen or so gates at MIA or DFW.

It actually is a 10 minute walk just from T5 to 6 but DL has electric carts available.... I'm sure there will be some process put in place to verify who is using those.

However AA passengers connect, the T5-6 connector is full of DL advertisements.

I would agree that the JFK and SFO flights make the most sense.... the question is whether putting flights there that have high connectivity to AS flights makes more sense.

Still, gaining any gates at LAX is a coup for AA and will allow them to grow their operation.

It should be clear that, between DL's growth at LAX and SEA and whatever AA does with LAX - which will undoubtedly include more north-south flying on the west coast, UA's position in the west is very much at risk. Given that so much of their income comes from their SFO-Asia operation, becoming marginalized in other parts of the west will have a negative effect on them.

These four gates and UA's inability to defend LAX will look a whole lot like what Pan Am went thru when it could no longer defend some of its key routes.

Supposedly, the tunnel is reopening around the time gate 44 reopens. Which last I heard was going to be around October. Being LAWA, who knows for sure. I agree it will be helpful, however there will be only stairs and an elevator going UP from the tunnel. Sort of inconvenient in one direction.

MAH4546 said:
If you reopen the T4-T5 connector and takeover the UA lounge space, then yes, I think it's a good idea to put the "shuttles" there to JFK and SFO (I'm assuming SFO frequency will keep going up).

Walking from T4 to T6 is relatively quick, it's not much different than walking between a dozen or so gates at MIA or DFW.
A trusted friend just let me know that yes the shuttle busses are planned to be stopped to T6 once the tunnel reopens. Yes, that reopening of the the tunnel is planned for this fall/winter. Secondly, it was also mentioned that the UA club is planned to be returned to LAWA so it can be turned into some sort of "concession". If there won't be an Admirals club, then the JFK/SFO scenario wouldn't make sense. I'm not sure which flights would make the most sense to be placed there. Any ideas?

IORFA said:
A trusted friend just let me know that yes the shuttle busses are planned to be stopped to T6 once the tunnel reopens. Yes, that reopening of the the tunnel is planned for this fall/winter. Secondly, it was also mentioned that the UA club is planned to be returned to LAWA so it can be turned into some sort of "concession". If there won't be an Admirals club, then the JFK/SFO scenario wouldn't make sense. I'm not sure which flights would make the most sense to be placed there. Any ideas?

4 gates can be upwards of 35 daily flights. There needs to be some sort of lounge space regardless of what operates there. The cheapest solution - and one that I actually would love - is to simply allow AC members access to the Alaska Airlines Board Room just like at SEA and PDX. And I would love this since Board Rooms are the best domestic airline-operated lounges, bar none - bagels, pancakes, salads, soups, yogurts, good quality complimentary liquors. 

Works for me. Also, don't F/C 3 class folks get to use the Flagship lounge? If so, then moving those flights to T6 wouldn't work. Also, is the Board room big enough to handle all the potential AA peeps? Maybe as a member you can make the suggestion. I would guess with these new gates that there is a great potential for the AA/Alaska partnership to increase.

Delta has been fighting it, but in the end has no say. AA is paying for the upgrades by itself as Delta said no. Either way, it was supposed to be open before the escalator/elevator replacement shut the area down till October. We were just told again today that it's opening when gate 44 opens back up. Then the shuttle to T6 will stop as well. I guess plans could change, however from the way management talks, this is a done deal. Especially with us having 4 gates in T6 soon.

Back