I.T. @ AA

AAviator

Veteran
Nov 12, 2002
This came in an e-mail. How does AA I.T. compare in the PLI process? Anyone see anything yet?

Fellow Pilots,

Forcing major changes in corporate culture is never easy. While I remain generally hopeful about the path that American Airlines and its unions have chosen to collaboratively retool our company into a major competitive force within the industry, the hard reality is that periods of progress are inevitably interrupted with examples of regressive behavior by middle management. Holding management accountable is a very necessary element of ensuring that your interests are protected.

On January 3, the AA Information Technology (IT) Department notified APA of yet another delay in the testing and implementation of the enhanced HI-33 display for our reserve pilots. While this was troubling enough, within hours the AA Flight Department announced the addition of a new feature on the AAPilots homepage allowing individual pilots to display their “Attendance History†in an easy to view format. Your Association was not made aware of the existence of the attendance history tool until the Flight Department announced it via HI-6 message. When I first heard about this project, I was absolutely appalled by this apparent misallocation of scarce programming resources and the message of complete indifference to the needs of our pilots it sent. Association representatives have spent the past several days investigating the circumstances around this project and why seemingly simple commitments regarding our programming issues are being repeatedly delayed. Ironically, the programming tasks that were promised to APA are no more difficult to execute than the application recently completed for the Flight Department.

It appears the new attendance display function has been under development for more than two years. Even before pilot sick rates became a topic of interest, this project was undertaken to automate the previously labor intensive procedure of tracking pilot attendance with an ultimate goal of reducing administrative overhead. I will not criticize any effort to streamline and shrink management ranks. That being said, I am dismayed that the largest airline in North America – which once led the industry in technology – cannot accomplish such a straightforward automation task inside of six months, much less two years. This event really begs the question of whether there are other administrative areas that can be consolidated but for the lack of a sufficiently nimble IT department.

Beyond the obvious technical failings, I am particularly exasperated by the Flight Department’s demonstrated lack of leadership and understanding of pilot needs and their failure to function as an advocate for those needs to other departments. I am confident Flight Department administrators and managers find their new attendance monitoring tool useful. However, attempting to proudly “share†this new toy with line pilots when they know our projects are languishing in IT purgatory demonstrates an amazing lack of either awareness or concern on their part.

One of the cornerstones of the Working Together process is, “Share before announcing.†If anyone in the Flight Department had bothered to consult APA before offering this feature to line pilots, this is what we would have told them: “We have yet to hear from a single line pilot who wants an ‘enhanced sick display.’ Our pilots do not need slick graphics providing them with historical information that is both known to them and already available via an HI-10 entry.†We would have asked them, “How many Flight Department administrators and/or managers do you plan to eliminate?†We would have reiterated that what our pilots need are software tools they can use – tools that make their life easier. We need an enhanced HI-33 display. We need a more capable and user-friendly reserve preference ballot that was promised in 2003, but not yet delivered. We need reserve GTD credit for training – now! What we don’t need is to have to remind management again that these items have already been agreed to!

For many months, we have been demanding faster progress on several IT projects that will benefit pilots. We have waited patiently while various company representatives have committed that adequate resources would be devoted to these tasks. Sadly, when those commitments go unfulfilled and we rightfully bring that to the attention of the Vice President of Flight, we are met with a stream of communications that attempt to shift the blame and defend the indefensible. When presented with the opportunity to advocate for pilots, Captain Hettermann regretfully chooses instead to abandon a professed commitment to accountability to defend an inefficient and non-responsive IT department.

If management had been attending to the needs of its employees, most of us wouldn’t really care about a new software tool placed on the Flight Department’s web site. If management representatives had put half the effort into addressing our concerns as they have in defending their mistakes, we would not be wasting our time with this issue at the expense of focusing on the very serious competitive issues facing our airline. Through bureaucratic ineptitude and inertia, any goodwill that might have resulted from the timely completion of our projects has been needlessly squandered. Once management fulfills their commitments on these long-delayed projects, instead of receiving credit for a job well done, the collective response will be, “It’s about time!†This episode is just one more misstep in a recent string of stumbles that call into question whether middle management is able to adapt and evolve in the same manner that line employees are being asked to adapt and evolve.

Next week the APA National Officers will meet with AMR CEO Gerard Arpey. We will take with us a list of issues highlighting where various levels of management are failing the line employees of this airline. We will be reminding Mr. Arpey that this is his problem to solve – not ours. This is our airline, and we are committed to doing what is right to make it – and our careers – better and stronger. However, we cannot and will not continue to pull more than our share of this load while the proverbial “layers of clay†between Mr. Arpey and line employees continue to stumble and fall. Our pilots are held accountable for their conduct and decisions each and every day. We expect the same level of accountability from management. There cannot be a double standard.

Fraternally,
XXXXX XXXXXX

Too late. Almost all of our programming is already outsourced, and has been since Sabre was segregated into its own division (years before their IPO and eventual spin-off).

What's left internally is either highly proprietary information (revenue management, capacity planning), GUI development, and some tactical development (i.e. crisis response programming). Even there, a lot of the programming resources are contractors and not full-time employees.

With regard to pilots and flight attendants, a lot of our IT capabilities are hamstrung by the fact that everything from crew training and quals, to scheduling and payroll is housed in FOS. It's essentially a 40 year old programming language (TPF) that isn't taught in schools any longer. All TPF programming is done by EDS or Sabre programmers (although there still be one or two on AA payroll), and at a very high cost given the scarcity of that skill on the open market.

As a former programmer, rolling out something on AAPilots is quite cheap compared to making changes to FOS. FOS rarely can be updated for less than $50K, and the process is measured in months. Web programming is typically measured in days, and can use internal programmers or outsourced programmers at a fraction of what an EDS or Sabre programmer costs.

To IT's credit, they'd already started the process of moving all the crew related systems to web based platforms, as well flight planning, weight and balance, maintenance tracking and routing. Unfortunately, it's a multi-million dollar project that had to be shelved in 2003, and didn't come off the shelf again until late in 2004.

As for the nifty attendance monitoring display they're rolling out, you can probably blame me for that, and it does serve a purpose.

About three years ago, my group designed and implemented a similar attendance view within eManager, which was used for monitoring ground employees, and it did wonders for finding the habitual abusers. Supervisors were finally able to see where sick calls fell with regard to days off and shift trades. The previous system only showed sick calls with regard to days off. It was shocking to see how many times there would be a sick call smack in the middle of a two or three week period of CSO's.

We also used this to start tracking the people who were blowing thru the 50% CSO cap and retaining full benefits. Again, there wasn't a simple way to track this, and once the hub admin supervisors had a way to find the abusers, 15-20 people suddenly resigned when their CS privileges were revoked.

Before all the naysayers start bitc#ing about the money spent on our system, we did it in about two weeks, and at a total cost of less than $50K including our internal labor, some EDS labor to give us the datafeed out of Autota, and buying the servers that ran the databases and website.

If you add up the cost of benefits being provided to the people who decided to quit when they got caught on the CS scam, it paid for itself in less than four months, and continues to pays off every time someone is caught abusing either the sick time or CS cap.

Next week the APA National Officers will meet with AMR CEO Gerard Arpey. We will take with us a list of issues highlighting where various levels of management are failing the line employees of this airline. We will be reminding Mr. Arpey that this is his problem to solve – not ours. This is our airline, and we are committed to doing what is right to make it – and our careers – better and stronger. However, we cannot and will not continue to pull more than our share of this load while the proverbial “layers of clayâ€￾ between Mr. Arpey and line employees continue to stumble and fall. Our pilots are held accountable for their conduct and decisions each and every day. We expect the same level of accountability from management. There cannot be a double standard.

Fraternally,
XXXXX XXXXXX

remeber these layers of clay are the ones that put this airline in the position it is today.
Therefore I wouldnt expect to much from a bunch of clueless individuals who couldnt manage a candy store.
:rolleyes:

Looks like our whole IT department needs to be outsourced. Why are we overpaying for computer geeks when we can get them for minimum wage and get better results?

Go ahead now and call me names. It's funny how several departments at AA have been calling on AA outsource all their aircraft maintenance, but these same departments are the ones that are worthless and need to be flushed down the toilet. I say outsource IT all to Perot systems or EDS.

Most of the ITS department are liasons between AMR and EDS anyway. Why else would it's costs be so high and implementation be so slow?
Just as an example: The Quatum Project.

Oh, you can't do without your basic liaison types. If you eliminated these positions, you would have to layoff management people who no longer manage anyone because their employees have been eliminated. :shock:

It's kind of like the time at the Jane Allen Town Hall meeting where I asked the following question...

Me: "Ms. Allen, as I understand the organizational chart, here at DFW we have a Manager of Operations in each terminal."

JA: "That's correct."

Me: "Also, here at DFW in each terminal, we have an Operations Manager."

JA: "Yes?"

Me: "Could you explain the difference in duties, scope of control, etc between those two titles?"

JA: "Are there any other questions?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Most of the ITS department are liasons between AMR and EDS anyway. Why else would it's costs be so high and implementation be so slow?
Just as an example: The Quatum Project.
Yesterday, they started installing the quantum project computers in my work area. There were "five" computer techs following the one tech who knew what he was doing, actually do the work. A total of "six" techs to install a computer and hook in into a new system, how hard could it be.

We were actually having a good laugh comparing it to Scab Air taking six scabs to change a tire.