AA lets you annoy your neighbor longer than any other airline

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030626/dath031...tml

FORT WORTH, Texas, June 26 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines customers soon will be able to use their cell phones longer before departures and sooner after landings on most aircraft as American becomes the first airline to increase talk time for customers on the ground.

Effective July 8, customers will be able to use cell phones, two-way pagers and other electronic devices until the aircraft door is shut, giving them additional time to stay connected as they prepare to depart. Customers on most arriving flights will be able to use cell phones shortly after landing, while the aircraft is taxiing to the gate.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030626/dath031_1.html

I actually look at this as a pretty good thing. Many passengers complained about having to turn their cell phones off immediately upon boarding. With this new policy, passengers can squeeze in that last call to family or business associates, which is something many of them will value. And there''s really no marginal cost to AA.

Ooops! omg, I didn''t know they had to turn them off on boarding....yikes, all this time I just waited until "Flight Attendants, prepare for takeoff" So (at least on my flights) we''ve been doing this the entire time.

----------------
On 6/27/2003 9:22:05 AM LaBradford22 wrote:

I actually look at this as a pretty good thing. Many passengers complained about having to turn their cell phones off immediately upon boarding. With this new policy, passengers can squeeze in that last call to family or business associates, which is something many of them will value. And there''s really no marginal cost to AA.

----------------​
Agreed. Since the old rule was that they had to be turned off when the seat belt sign was lit - that meant that plenty of people boarded when it was illegal to use their phone to call and let someone know that they were able to board (like standby).

Annoying loud talkers are a different story.

Don''t WN and US already allow the use of cell phones until the doors close? That has always been the enforced rule on flights I have been on but perhaps I''m mistaken. The flight crews even make announcements on these flights to remember to turn them off once the door closes and they are ready to push back. But this makes AA the "first"?

Allowing people to gab on their cell phones three inches from my ear right after landing gives me yet another reason to avoid flying AA.

----------------
On 6/27/2003 9:42:37 AM Ch. 12 wrote:

Don''t WN and US already allow the use of cell phones until the doors close?  That has always been the enforced rule on flights I have been on but perhaps I''m mistaken.  The flight crews even make announcements on these flights to remember to turn them off once the door closes and they are ready to push back.  But this makes AA the "first"?

----------------​

TWA allowed cell phone use till the door closed. This ISNT a new concept......just like more room in coach.....been there-done that.

----------------
On 6/27/2003 9:22:05 AM LaBradford22 wrote:

I actually look at this as a pretty good thing. Many passengers complained about having to turn their cell phones off immediately upon boarding. With this new policy, passengers can squeeze in that last call to family or business associates, which is something many of them will value.
----------------​

Plus now they can show the world longer that "Hey! I''m an IMPORTANT fellow! I''m on a cellphone! I can call anyone I want to, at anytime, anywhere!"

Just like my on my last flight, an all-nighter, this "helluvaguy" was on the cellphone the minute he was onboard the plane until we had to tell him to turn it off 5 times. who he was calling at 2 am eastern time we''ll never know, after all he is an important person, a hey look at me I have a cellphone type of guy. I wouldn''t even call it "talking" on a cellphone because he wasn''t really talking, seemed more like a teenager saying "Ok, you hang up first, NO...you hang up first. ok let''s hang up together at the count of 3...one...two...three, oh you cheated! No, you hang up first."...and this was a guy in his 30''s!!!!

only thing worst than that is a Flight Attendant walking through the airport, pulling her bags, and talking on the cellphone, as if to say "hey Look me over! I''m a Flight Attendant and I have a cellphone! I can walk, drag my bags and talk on the phone at the same time, call anyone anywhere at anytime!". guees who she''s talking to? her boyfriend, the one she called right before she left her base airport and is now calling 2 hours later to tell him she''s landed and is now boarding her next flight and will call as she lands at her next destination, in about 2 hours....no, you hang up first, No you hang up first..ok, at the count of 3 we''ll hang up together...1...2...3.

----------------
On 6/27/2003 2:17:53 PM desertfox wrote:

TWA allowed cell phone use till the door closed. This ISNT a new concept......just like more room in coach.....been there-done that.

----------------​

Correct. On LLC flights, right up to the end, cell phone use was allowed until the door was closed.

MK