AA to go cashless on domestic and Canada flights

I think this is a great idea. I can't remember the last time I paid cash for something.
Finally! It will be nice to be free of the cash, the need to find change, the hassle of depositing the envelopes, etc. It is true, however, that the OSR is a hopelessly antiquated device. It is slow and malfunctions frequently. AA will need to come up with something better.

Art in MIA

I see only one small problem with this, AA will have to charge less that a dollar for every item. As long as they are flying in us air space there is a little message that is on every form of paper money that will preclude this. "THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE" If AA or its represenative's (f/a) refues to accept paper money according to the treasury department the bill is considered paid in full. This does stand up in a court of law.

This is the usual bogus response to the act of going cashless. How have Frontier and Southwest among others been doing it for so long? Why haven't the "FEDS" put a stop to it? My magazine subscriptions refuse to accept cash as well. What about them? Before you respond, one is local and has an office yet still won't take cash. Something about not wanting it on premises. I've been wrong before, but AA and for that matter every other comany that does this exact thing, are not that stupid to do something like this if it was illegal. Let alone put out a press release celebrating the change. Don't forget, AA accepts cash for travel, just not onboard purchases. Maybe they will allow you to purchase coupons using paypal or western union for onboard purchases. :up:

I agree with IORFA. This should have been done a year ago. I love the company's argument that we must do this gradually because of our customers. Wrong! It was the fact that the company was not willing to spend money on advertising the changeover. At Southwest, one day they were cash only. The next day they were credit card only. It can be done. To the person who thought this would work only at "small" airlines, I would have to ask...why do you consider Southwest to be a small airline? Also most, if not all, European airlines have been cashless for years.

Someone else posted that they have their doubts about the company's commitment to keeping them in good working order. To that I say, AMEN. If you call the OSR hotline today, you get a 10 minute recorded "lecture" on why you shouldn't have called that number. If you persist, it will take a message regarding flt, date, stat, unit number, etc. No feedback ever as to whether or not the freakin machine got fixed.

Another issue that the company will have to get serious about...punishing those f/as who are deliberately sabotaging the machines because they think they can force the company to do away with them. I know it is going on, and so do the rest of you. I also know a couple of f/as who consider the deposit envelope to be a supplementary pay envelope. Needless to say they are opposed to the cashless idea. :shock:

By the way, AMEX purchased the machines, but AA has to pay for repairs and replacements. I don't think they are going to put up with the sabotage much longer.

BTW...How is AA going to only do Cashless for domestic ,and not international?....Nothing at this airline seems to be the same across the board. I am really pitying those international passengers making domestic connections saying...."Yes sir, U payed cash on your international leg, but where's the credit card now?"...Sorry

I see only one small problem with this, AA will have to charge less that a dollar for every item. As long as they are flying in us air space there is a little message that is on every form of paper money that will preclude this. "THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE" If AA or its represenative's (f/a) refues to accept paper money according to the treasury department the bill is considered paid in full. This does stand up in a court of law.

The United States Department of the Treasury does not agree with you:
Question - I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

Answer - The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.
http://www.ustreas.gov/education/faq/curre...-tender.html#q1

So much for that free snack box I was hoping to get by pretending not to have a credit card....

I've been a big proponent of this for a long time. Reported sales went up pretty remarkably with the OSR's, and that's not just because plastic is more convenient for most of us (I never carry cash unless I'm overseas where plastic is not as widely accepted).

I seem to recall talk of a sailboat in SAN or SFO named "HIDEP".... Somehow, I don't think there will be one named "OSR" anytime soon...

Can someone still give me a reason as to why they are going cashless only on Domestic, and not International flights? Last time I checked all of my major credit cards worked just fine when visiting other countries.

I see a reduction in realization of total on board revenue when cashless goes into effect. With the OSRs being in the condition they are nobody will hesitate to give these items away.
If we had better tools, this might not be the case. If everyone had or used a their credit/debit card, this might not be the case. Additionally, if nobody ever took a "cash cut", this might not be that case as well. But unfortunately these factors are real and will impact the success of this new program.

also...

I don't see how offering customers less choices can be billed as a positive. AA cracks me up with their spin on things sometimes, well..most of the time.

So much for that free snack box I was hoping to get by pretending not to have a credit card....

I've been a big proponent of this for a long time. Reported sales went up pretty remarkably with the OSR's, and that's not just because plastic is more convenient for most of us (I never carry cash unless I'm overseas where plastic is not as widely accepted).

I seem to recall talk of a sailboat in SAN or SFO named "HIDEP".... Somehow, I don't think there will be one named "OSR" anytime soon...

I heard, back in "the day" that this vessel was moored in SJU and named "Headset" !!

Latest posts