AA tightens Advantage requirements.

WorldTraveler said:
of course they are coming.

the only reason why AA hasn't moved to a fare based FF program is because AA doesn't have the ability to do it across two res systems.

instead, AA will be faced with missing one of the key components that have driven fare increases at DL and UA. Is it a surprise that AA's average fare growth is now pushing their RASM to the top of AA and DL after months of lagging DL in the FF upgrades?

the FF upgrade is one part but not the whole of why AA is underperforming the industry on RASM production.

DL and UA have the systems in place to maximize their revenue which AA does not.

AA will pay the price with lower RASM now and will be playing catch up from a position that is further and further behind DL and UA by the time AA is finally able to cut over.
They're doomed! I'm job hunting first thing in the morning...Hopefully I'm employed at least until Christmas...

Reactions: 4 people
AANOTOK said:
They're doomed! I'm job hunting first thing in the morning...Hopefully I'm employed at least until Christmas...
Exactly.    Avoiding bankruptcy will be impossible for new AA, as the profits so far this year are only $3.1 billion (excl special items).   AA's generous AAdvantage program is no doubt why AA filed for Ch 11 in the first place.    :D

Just another place for WT to repeat, ad nausem, his mantra of "AA bad,  DL good."    

Reactions: 2 people
Exactly.    Avoiding bankruptcy will be impossible for new AA, as the profits so far this year are only $3.1 billion (excl special items).   AA's generous AAdvantage program is no doubt why AA filed for Ch 11 in the first place.     :D

Just another place for WT to repeat, ad nausem, his mantra of "AA bad,  DL good."
[/quote
I'm sure it is hard for you to grasp the concept but companies that can sell their product don't need to give it away.

but given that frequent flyer programs are the norm, companies that command higher prices for their product don't need to give away AS MUCH.

and let's be clear that AA knows this reality very well.

while you and others tout how great AA's program is for you, it costs the company money.

I will bet you a healthy chunk of your AAdvantage account balance that AA will have announced a revenue based program in place within a year after their res system cutover, if not before.

the only reason AA hasn't done it is because they can't without a whole lot of expense.

Reactions: 1 person
WT SkyMiles gives away plenty of free DL upgrades awards and product it just isn't as well structured as AA and also has inferior partner redemption opportunities. DL gives away Medallion status like free candy, all the new analysts that just joined my firm all got free Platinum Medallion and we aren't even big DL customers. Yes there will be reforms to AAdvantage but they aren't goinh to do the BS DL does like not awarding EQMs for trips on "partners" (you may not be aware but buying a KE F or J ticket earns you ZERO MQMs on DL). AAdvantage provides AA customers value and is profitable to AA.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
WorldTraveler said:
I'm sure it is hard for you to grasp the concept but companies that can sell their product don't need to give it away.
The only thing I'm finding it difficult to grasp is how little you know about AAdvantage (and SkyMiles, for that matter).
WorldTraveler said:
I will bet you a healthy chunk of your AAdvantage account balance that AA will have announced a revenue based program in place within a year after their res system cutover, if not before.
I've posted numerous times that Parker will likely implement a revenue-based system ASAP, but once again your ignorance shines thru (your assumption that I don't see a revenue-based system on the way).

No shortage of WT ignorance on display in this thread. Delta waives the MQD requirement for anyone spending $25k on their DL AMEX, which is child's play.

So it looks like DL is willing to give it away.

WorldTraveler said:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/american-airlines-introduces-combined-aadvantage-130100455.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-28/american-boosts-requirements-by-20-for-top-loyalty-tier.html?cmpid=yhoo

AA is increasing requirements to obtain top benefits in the Advantage program, proof that consolidation in the industry is targeting higher fares and reduced perks.
The only substantive change to AAdvantage qualification for Executive Platinum is aligning the segments required with the other airline programs (120 segments) and you ignorantly proclaim that it's "proof that consolidation is targeting higher fares and reduced perks. AA hasn't reduced any perks, despite your ignorant, uninformed and false claims to the contrary.

I never said that you haven't acknowledged that a revenue based program is coming.

I have said that AA can't implement one now and will be forced to accept lower revenue performance because, as long as you have less financial control over your product than your peers, then you will trail them in revenue.

the changes that DL and UA have made and which are not much different from what WN has in concept or what most airlines have is the ability to revenue control your frequent flyer product. not the seats per se but the product itself.

As two who are addicted to the crack of frequent flyer programs, it is doubtful you will get it.

and the big black box that you can't see at DL is the value of what Amex pays DL for miles that have nothing to do with airplane seats - and, hint hint, isn't taxed the way airplane seat seats are taxed.

DL might create status based on the Amex card but that status means nothing until money is spent. and the whole point of a revenue based FF program is to incentivize a customer's revenue maximizing behavior for the company... something that doesn't exist with a miles based program.

On yet another issue, AA is the outlier in the industry and its below average revenue performance shows it.

of course AA's ongoing practice of throwing capacity into int'l markets faster than it can be absorbed certainly helps to drive down RASM but being unable to incentivize the right kind of behavior from customers is no less of a cause

Yes that's right DL drove down margin by 47% - DL is driving margin in the right direction

AA continues to grow revenue and still has not fully integrated and will continued to spank DL

AA's revenue growth has been the worst of the big 4 and only AS had weaker RASM growth.

AA's RASM declined in every global region - the only US carrier to do that and AA had the largest RASM decline in Latin America of any airline in any part of their system in decades.

Even AA's domestic RASM - the strongest part of the US airline system - was well below what other carriers have been posted.

AA's revenue growth is far from anything to right home about.

the reason why AA's NET - NOT GROSS - profits are stronger is because they are not accounting for taxes (neither is UA but DL and WN are) and AA is paying no profit sharing.

Parker is using the same strategy that he used at US; why anyone can't see it is beyond belief, esp. since a lot of people lamented that AA would be remade in the image of US - and that is exactly what is happening.

AA is adding capacity in order to drive down CASM but in so doing is also coming nowhere close to building a viable, premium driven network and is also doing what he is doing because of having the lowest paid employees among the big 4.

Why anyone wants to argue that is not what is happening now when it was apparent during BK that is what he would do is beyond comprehension

Yes that's correct DL had the worst performing operating margin of the majors

Hail to DL

Reactions: 2 people
no, DL had the highest GROSS operating margin of the majors but a lower NET PROFIT MARGIN because DL accounted for taxes - something AA and UA don't have to do and DL paid profit sharing to the tune of 15% of annual salaries, something that AA employees don't want because they think they will be better off without.

Latest posts