Cashless Test on Select Flights

This is an easy fix: order rechargeable OSR's configured for 400HZ power on the aircraft with a docking station located in the galley units plugged by the removal of other equipment, ovens, etc...

The charger, 400HZ for aircraft only, will accept the OSR and since it is labled for aircraft use only the unit will be less likely to be "lost" or inop.

There are several tech things that need to be configured but it is easily doable.

For the F/As'; it should be a more reliable way of distributing the concessions gained by the sales since your keycode will be entered for all items entered into the OSR prior to a data dump.

Great ideas!

JS, bring stuff from home or buy it in the airport. Then your problem is solved. Now we can move on.

I'm ok with using my credit card and selling the onboard crap to my luddite seat opponents like JS. For a buck extra per item, of course. :D

I agree with Jim. I am fine with a cashless cabin. Money sales have been problematic for years, on a variety of levels, both for flight attendants and for management.

Perhaps AA could install "pre-loaded" credit card machines in gate areas, where passengers without cards may purchase a pre-loaded card, on which they can put $10 or whatever. AA could then charge a small commission on each purchase.

I had our Marketing Guru, Dan Garton, on a flight a few years back when the Self Service machines were getting started, and I suggested allowing passengers to buy "vouchers" at check in for food, booze, headphones. The printed vouchers could be collected as payment during the flight, with no cash to mess with. He responded it would be too costly to make the Kiosks configured to charge on a credit card..... now mind you people can charge their upgrade at check in, so I am guessing that has changed.

I said it before, cashless is fine, but then give me reliable OSRs that work.

I had our Marketing Guru, Dan Garton, on a flight a few years back when the Self Service machines were getting started, and I suggested allowing passengers to buy "vouchers" at check in for food, booze, headphones. The printed vouchers could be collected as payment during the flight, with no cash to mess with. He responded it would be too costly to make the Kiosks configured to charge on a credit card..... now mind you people can charge their upgrade at check in, so I am guessing that has changed.

I said it before, cashless is fine, but then give me reliable OSRs that work.

still missing the impulse sales

Plenty of plenty are not hungry at check-in, but get hungry (or bored) in flight.

Hey, don't insult the Scouts (I used to be a Bobwhite...). They'd be prepared with their own survival kit with trail mix or something like that, and not need to buy something onboard.

If I'm reading my newsletter correctly, AA.com is now allowing me to change a reservation and pay the add collect online, so the days of needing a skilled ticket agent like me are quickly fading. If that's the fact, then the day is quickly approaching where AA isn't going to accept cash or checks for domestic ticket purchases, and almost all ticketing transactions will be able to be done online or at a kiosk.

Totally agree on the aircraft power for the OSR's. BA had a system like that about ten years ago, IIRC.

I dont beleive AA propaganda, as data used to derive the increase in sales percent is flawed...

AC,

Other airlines have done it. and seemingly successfully. It's not like AA is being a pioneer in this area.

Why are you so against us no longer having to deal with all of the problems collecting money from passengers brings?

I would be interested in hearing.

JetBlue just went cashless.

Beginning Nov. 1, JetBlue will no longer accept cash for in-flight purchases, the carrier announced Monday. The carrier will now accept only credit or debit cards from customers who wish to pay for in-flight alcoholic beverages or entertainment services. Travel Weekly writes JetBlue's move "appears to be part of an emerging trend." The publication cites Virgin America's cash-free in-flight services and American Airlines' decision to test cashless payment options on its flights from San Francisco. As for JetBlue, it offers free TV and satellite radio programming, though some movie options are on a pay-per-view basis.

In a press release, JetBlue says the cashless option will improve customers' experiences "by providing a quick and hassle-free way to purchase alcoholic beverages and future in-flight offerings onboard." JetBlue did not specify what the "future" offerings might be, but it -- along with several other carriers -- are on record as saying that they are at least exploring options for fee-based options for in-flight Wi-Fi.

USA TODAY

I realize that AA has a "buy on board"program, a broad international system, and is a much larger airline than F9 or B6 etc, but if you open your mind you're going to love being cashless. At F9 we have two CCD's (Cashless Cabin Device) per aircraft. One is to always be used unless inop etc. Then the backup goes into operation. There is also an extra battery on ea aircraft. Although there will always be glitches with technology...no different than with kiosks, pc's, etc. this system is very simple and an asset to both the FA and company. We do not have dock stations etc onboard. We've been cashless since 4/1 and I think I've had to change a battery once and had to call for a new CCD once. That's pretty good in my opinion. I don't know what F9's revenue difference has been since we went cashless, but I can't imagine that it's been less since this definately cuts down on internal theft, both by FA's and revenue accounting. I can also count on 1 hand the times I've had a passenger not have a cc for a puchase and when this has happened they've either been ok with it or worked out a deal with another passenger. Believe it or not, passengers can think and get very creative when they need to. It's almost like watching a child have a new experience....lol. Just keep an open mind, have some patience, and embrace the fact that your company is actually doing something to make the FA job a little easier (since it's been the opposite for the last 6 yrs). :up:

AC,

Other airlines have done it. and seemingly successfully. It's not like AA is being a pioneer in this area.

Why are you so against us no longer having to deal with all of the problems collecting money from passengers brings?

I would be interested in hearing.

..here is why...

I am based in SFO and have worked 11 "cashless" departure in y/c this month. (Sept)

80% of the surveys I have collect told American they liked having the cash option.

Cash WAS deposited on many of the cashless legs-hence skewing the numbers that comprised the alleged 7% jump in sales for September. we really dont know the true numbers generated from this test.

The OSR ( hand held devices) used are unreliable and substandard/ I can assure you that they are inferior to other cashless carriers.
Americans matrix is much different than B6, F9 etc....so our cashless program has to be developed as such, as of now its not.

thats why I am opposed.

When these issues are addressed and corrected cashless will be a dream, right now I consider it a nightmare..

I think you will find many who feel the same way who work these trips on a regular basis.

WOW. I haven't had nearly the trouble you have with the OSR. They always seem to work fine for me. Some might not appear to work, but after rebooting it, 90% of the time it is fine. If they are there, they work great.

WOW. I haven't had nearly the trouble you have with the OSR. They always seem to work fine for me. Some might not appear to work, but after rebooting it, 90% of the time it is fine. If they are there, they work great.

Mine always seem to work, especially when I take the time to reboot. Guess I am just lucky, too.

We may have some inop units, but, for the most part, there is always at least one or two operative units on board.

Mine always seem to work, especially when I take the time to reboot. Guess I am just lucky, too.

We may have some inop units, but, for the most part, there is always at least one or two operative units on board.

Consider that 80-90% of the time your OSRs work, but 80-90% of your sales are cash.

If you could only use the OSR, for EVERY sale and say one of up to 3 work, you have to reboot, and pass around the A/C.....?

The issue is using it in the aisle as the sole means of sales....
I think you might get the picture....