AA to prohibit customers from tipping skycaps

If you're going to hold one party to the letter of the law, don't be surprised when the other party applies the letter of the law.

$15 an hour to cart bags around? That's more than the agents are making for essentially doing more work.

Mark, I'm not so sure it's enforceable. If I as a customer insist on giving a tip after being told you can't accept it, at some point you're now offending me. IIRC, even AA had a policy at one point which said you had to refuse a tip twice. If the customer still insisted, you could accept it without risking discipline.

It is enforceable. The employee contract is will be something along the lines of: "Don't take tips. If you take tips, you will be reprimanded, and possibly fired." Enforced "no tipping" policies exist in other businesses (i.e. some bus companies), this isn't any different. I believe that certain airlines (not sure if AA among them) have "no tipping" policies enforced at their lounges.

If a customer gets offended because an employee is following the rules and wishes to keep his job...well, then that's too bad, and it is extremely disrespectful of the customer to not respect an employee's regulations.

It is enforceable. The employee contract is will be something along the lines of: "Don't take tips. If you take tips, you will be reprimanded, and possibly fired." Enforced "no tipping" policies exist in other businesses (i.e. some bus companies), this isn't any different. I believe that certain airlines (not sure if AA among them) have "no tipping" policies enforced at their lounges.

If a customer gets offended because an employee is following the rules and wishes to keep his job...well, then that's too bad, and it is extremely disrespectful of the customer to not respect an employee's regulations.

I beleive all nAAtives should be allow to except a small token for services that are not the normal for there usual assigned task. When you or your compAAny are in the service industry and subsAAndard service is your normal stAAndard service, maybe that small token is trying to tell the compAAny to pay their employee a wages that is compareable to the service that they do not provide. Like the Japanese, if the customer leave a small token there trying to tell you the service you or your compAAny provide, that you may need to look else where for employment or get out of the business.

I always give a token for the services that any employee provide. When company regulation or country culture restrict exceptional kindness, a token like a Ben..., Hamp..., or Jack... and a explanation for their kindness is always worth some time.

Nothing will be enforced..it will simply get swept under the rug just like when the sky caps accept a $20 tip instead of charging the passanger the fee for a overweight bag. Both the sky cap and passanger come out ahead money wise.

Latest posts