AAnger Manaagement...NYT 7/22

featheroleather

Advanced
Aug 9, 2004
Anger Management at American Air

Gerard J. Arpey, chief of American Airlines, says collaboration with unions can increase worker productivity.

By JEFF BAILEY
Published: July 23, 2006
Fort Worth, Tex.

A GRAND experiment is playing out behind the scenes at American Airlines. Just listen.

Top executives complain openly that they are underpaid. Mechanics swear up a storm at their bosses as they explain the proper way to operate maintenance plants. Gate agents freely tell pilots to consider working longer hours so their company can become solidly profitable. Pilots refuse to discuss working more because they are angry about management’s $100 million bonus program.

Chaos? Actually — at a company throwing off its famously buttoned-downed culture and endeavoring to replace management-by-edict with freewheeling collaboration — these are the early, uncertain sounds of survival and possible renewal.

“If we go down the tubes, we all go down together,â€￾ said Anne Helton, a gate agent in Nashville who is weary of brinkmanship between pilots and management, two groups that make a lot more money than gate agents do. “I’m sorry they’re not feeling the love,â€￾ she said of the pilots. “You’ve got to suck it up. We all go home dead tired at the end of the day.â€￾

For his part, Gerard J. Arpey, American’s 47-year-old chief executive, has traded away the bankruptcy card used by most of his competitors — which gave them shelter to prune debt while also tossing out labor contracts and pensions — for the hope of trying to motivate workers. “Our fundamental objective is to make organized labor and our front-line employees our business partners,â€￾ he said, asserting that the world’s largest airline cannot become more efficient without such collaboration. “If they don’t want to do it, it ain’t going to happen. It doesn’t matter how brilliant you are.â€￾

“Call me old-fashioned,â€￾ he added. “But I think companies ought to pay people back. And I think companies ought to make good on commitments to employees and communities.â€￾

American is the only old-line domestic airline that has never filed for bankruptcy protection, and Mr. Arpey intends to keep it that way by fostering open dialogue, teamwork and a relentless focus on efficiency. Three years into his experiment, he can claim one huge and as yet uncompleted success: an agreement with mechanics to operate maintenance plants more effectively that could save American more than $1 billion a year by 2008.

He won that victory, however, only because union workers sensed that their jobs could be largely outsourced, as they were at other airlines. Other workers at American, particularly pilots and flight attendants, have tried to collaborate with management to become more competitive — but then walked away from the process in January after American disclosed management’s bonus program.

Mr. Arpey now needs pilots, flight attendants, and everyone else back at the same table. He wants management and labor to stop fighting each other, a decades-old pattern at the company that has sapped productivity and forced it to shrink in recent years. Mr. Arpey has voluntarily forfeited his own raises and bonuses recently — an unusual gesture in an era when excessive executive compensation has drawn heightened scrutiny. He also plans to make good on $11 billion of pension obligations and offer a little more job security to a work force of 86,500 that remains shellshocked after losing more than 20,000 colleagues to layoffs and attrition since 2001.

Some of American’s numbers are promising. Its parent company, the AMR Corporation, reported a $291 million second-quarter profit last week, and analysts expect the company to eke out a profit for the year. It has about $5 billion in cash on hand and by many measures is operating far more efficiently that it did in 2003 when, on the brink of bankruptcy, it handed the chief-executive reins to Mr. Arpey. But like any executive taking a sizable gamble, Mr. Arpey is toeing a delicate line.

The airline industry as a whole has lost more than $40 billion since 2000 and is contending with rising fuel prices and intense competition. American itself lost $861 million last year, is saddled with $20 billion in debt and has a pension plan that is underfunded by about $3.2 billion. Without the wage cuts that other airlines are extracting through the bankruptcy process, American could hit the next economic downturn in a vulnerable state. If that happens, Mr. Arpey stands to catch the blame, regardless of his enthusiasm for corporate warmth and collaboration.

“It’s a risk,â€￾ said Robert Hughes, president of Overland Resource Group, a consulting firm hired to help American and its unions work together. “If it doesn’t go well, he’s put himself out there.â€￾

There is plenty of room for American to loosen its corporate screws. Flight attendants often need a doctor’s note to take a day off. But with the airline covering most medical costs, whom does that policy hurt the most? The company so strictly defines which flight attendants can handle certain flights that it finds itself needlessly shorthanded at times. At its maintenance bases, managers once turned a deaf ear to mechanics, a group that includes many compulsive and adept problem solvers.

In short, American has been a command-and-control organization in danger of suffocating itself. Mr. Arpey intends to change all of that.

An airline executive’s son, Mr. Arpey seems an unlikely candidate for such an abrupt corporate overhaul. He spent most of his career in finance, away from flesh-and-blood workers who fly planes and load bags. Rail thin with a wide smile, his demeanor seems positively Sunday-school-teacher-like when compared with his better-known mentor, Robert L. Crandall, who ran American like a drill sergeant until the late 1990’s.

BUT for the task at hand — persuading distrustful employees that management is sincere in seeking collaboration and is not just trying to smooth-talk its way to more labor concessions — Mr. Arpey may be the better man. “Gerard has a nice way about him,â€￾ said Edward A. Brennan, the retired Sears chairman and a longtime AMR board member, noting that it was Mr. Arpey who convinced dubious board members that collaboration was a wise strategy. Mr. Arpey’s personal distaste for bankruptcy also helped to strengthen the board’s resolve about avoiding Chapter 11.

Even with willing workers, however, few companies ever truly master continuous improvement — the task of making and sustaining incremental productivity gains that, compounded over time, propel an operation past competitors. Dell once did it with computers, as did Wells Fargo in banking. And — this comparison stings at American’s headquarters — Southwest Airlines has done it.

Mr. Arpey will not easily move American into such a rarefied club. American’s managers and workers, in seeking to improve, mostly compare themselves with other airlines. Southwest aside, that is hardly stiff competition. The recent management bonuses, in fact, were made fatter because American’s surging stock price looked even better when compared with a group that included Northwest Airlines and Delta Air Lines, both now in bankruptcy, their shares all but worthless.

Also working against Mr. Arpey is a fading sense of urgency. Since 2001, domestic airlines trimmed fleets while the economy grew. That resulted in fuller planes and higher fares. Even with oil above $70 a barrel, much of the airline industry may report an annual profit for 2006. American’s labor costs were relatively low after unions made $1.62 billion in annual concessions in 2003 to stave off bankruptcy. But United Airlines, Northwest and Delta, running through bankruptcy, have since pushed their costs lower.

The big draw of collaboration is the opportunity it provides to tap into workers’ knowledge so the enterprise as a whole can find and exploit unseen efficiencies. At American, that means more than simple wage and cost cuts. It means changing how the entire company functions. One of the most telling examples is American’s giant maintenance base in Tulsa, Okla.

The base employs about 7,000 workers and two years ago seemed a candidate to have most of those jobs outsourced. Every five years, Tulsa overhauls American’s MD-80’s, the workhorses of the company’s fleet, for about $1 million a plane. If outsourced, the cost would be about $500,000. Cutting costs at the base seemed unlikely, Mr. Arpey said, because “it was a very hostile work environment, labor and management virtually at war on a day-to-day basis.â€￾

Mechanics, represented by the Transport Workers Union, literally sat, often playing cards or reading the newspaper, for more hours than they worked on MD-80’s, a joint analysis by the company and the union showed. Fearful of giving more work to an unproductive crew, American had outsourced many small tasks at top dollar. Realizing all the jobs were at risk, the union and management set aside hostilities and brainstormed at an offsite retreat. Since then, they operate in two-man teams with one manager and one union representative, led by Carmine J. Romano, an American vice president in charge of the base, and Dennis Burchette, the Tulsa union chief.

Overhauling each MD-80 now costs about $750,000 in Tulsa, and that figure is still declining, American says. Now, 400 workers do what 700 once handled. Rather than laying off the surplus workers, American is bringing in maintenance work from other airlines to keep them employed.

“I built this model,â€￾ Mr. Romano said of the old approach in Tulsa. “It’s not working. I confessed.â€￾

Mr. Burchette has his own confessions. “It’s not all fun,â€￾ he said. “I’ve walked out of meetings. He’s walked out of meetings.â€￾

After one argument, Mr. Burchette said, he and Mr. Romano were headed to the same flight but drove separately to the airport. Cooling down as they passed through security, Mr. Burchette turned to Mr. Romano and said, “Sorry, dude.â€￾

“Now, we kind of feel badâ€￾ after a blowup, Mr. Romano said.

Cooperation has allowed the plant to overcome deep dysfunction. A fuel-efficient tail cone American had been buying for $240,000 each from a manufacturer is now fabricated on site for $39,000. Broken pumps on airplane toilets are fixed for $50 instead of replaced for $3,000. And a waste hauler now pays $330,000 a year for the plant’s scrap metal, up from a giveaway price of $7,000 before.

Beyond maintenance, American is a service operation where labor is, in many instances, a fixed component: two pilots and three or more flight attendants per plane, a set baggage crew for each airport gate. There is no opportunity to radically reconfigure work, so in many cases people either have to work longer hours or for less money if American wants to be more efficient.

American pilots fly an average of 608 hours a year, or about 51 hours a month, largely because of work rules in the pilots contract. That means American has to employ roughly five pilots for every four working at Continental Airlines, where pilots fly 754 hours a year, or about 63 a month.

In December, Ralph J. Hunter, president of the Allied Pilots Association, and other union officials and consultants visited nine cities to present American’s pilots with the findings of a union-management group survey that had looked into productivity. The pilots, who had given up $660 million a year in the 2003 concessions, were suspicious. By pushing them to consider being more productive, Mr. Hunter said, “I went out on a limb.â€￾

American flight attendants make about $7 an hour more than those at United, a difference that amounts to an extra $100 million a year in costs. Just before managers and union officials were about to brief flight attendants on that and other data in January, American disclosed to employees that several top executives were getting bonuses of more than $1 million (Mr. Arpey had taken himself out of the program.) American was still losing money, but the program, covering nearly 1,000 managers, took into account American’s buoyant stock price.

Union leaders felt betrayed. “Cancel it. Cancel it now,â€￾ Mr. Hunter said he advised Mr. Arpey. “I told Gerard, these may well be the most expensive bonuses you’ve ever paid out.â€￾

The episode was a near-repeat of a 2003 dust-up. Then, Mr. Arpey’s predecessor, Donald J. Carty, had put in place retention bonuses for executives and also funded a pension plan for top officers in a trust to protect those pensions in the event of a bankruptcy filing. Unions, preparing to give back $1.62 billion a year to avert bankruptcy, were livid, and the issue cost Mr. Carty his job.

Although Mr. Arpey personally retains the respect of union leaders, talks with pilots and flight attendants on significant productivity improvements have stopped.

EXECUTIVES were unapologetic about the bonuses, and it became clear that management and labor — efforts at collaboration aside — live in very separate worlds. Bob Reding, a senior vice president overseeing pilots and maintenance, collected $1.6 million under the bonus plan. He said American’s brass is underpaid and the company is in danger of losing its best talent. “I am sure we are all getting calls from headhunters,â€￾ he said. “Why did people get upset? It’s because they don’t understand management compensation. None of our investors were upset.â€￾ :shock:

Mr. Reding is not alone. Daniel P. Garton, an executive vice president, collected about $1.9 million and said headhunters call him, too. “And I obviously answer the phone,â€￾ he said. “There are days when the executive compensation issue becomes a little overwhelming. Why am I doing this?â€￾ :down:

So is Mr. Arpey’s budding partnership with unions crumbling? “I don’t control them,â€￾ he said. “I’m continuing to press on many fronts.â€￾

Indeed, initiatives aimed at saving fuel, reducing costly workplace injuries and speeding the turnaround of planes between landing and takeoff are all gaining momentum. At some American locations, the number of union grievances filed against the company has declined sharply.

But that is mostly small stuff, financially speaking, compared with pilot and flight attendant labor productivity, said Roger E. King, an analyst at CreditSights. “Airlines are a service business,â€￾ he said. “At the end of the day labor has to decide how much it is willing to give up.â€￾

Mr. Arpey says he can be patient. “The only schedule I have is continuous improvement,â€￾ he said.

American flight attendants make about $7 an hour more than those at United, a difference that amounts to an extra $100 million a year in costs.

That's true.

BUT, they also layover so amazingly short (hmm....14 hours GRU) then what's the point of being a f/a? No one ever signed up for the money, so why would you want to layover at the airport hotel? (gru - UAL 38 hours AMR 14 hours??!!?? YIKES)

This article failed to mention that after Tulsa,AFW,and MCI give up every last drop of concessions. They will get outsourced anyway.

That author is obviously on AA's payroll. What a lousy peice of PR schlop.

"For his part, Gerard J. Arpey, American’s 47-year-old chief executive, has traded away the bankruptcy card used by most of his competitors ."

No, he used the BK card and in one fell swoop slashed compensation far more than any of his competitors.

"Our fundamental objective is to make organized labor and our front-line employees our business partners,â€

Now is that a line of BS or what? Business partners, you give up 25% of your pay while we line our pockets with bonuses, serps and golden parachutes.

“Call me old-fashioned,†he added. “But I think companies ought to pay people back. And I think companies ought to make good on commitments to employees and communities.â€

"old fashioned" didnt come to mind, LIAR did.

He won that victory, however, only because union workers sensed that their jobs could be largely outsourced, as they were at other airlines. Other workers at American, particularly pilots and flight attendants, have tried to collaborate with management to become more competitive — but then walked away from the process in January after American disclosed management’s bonus program.

More lies, most of the line mechanics voted against concessions and do not support any of the "collaborative" efforts of the TWU.

BUT for the task at hand — persuading distrustful employees that management is sincere in seeking collaboration and is not just trying to smooth-talk its way to more labor concessions — Mr. Arpey may be the better man.

In other words Arpey wants more concessions, but because they are productivity improvements and not outright cuts in pay he has redefined the term "concession". The fact is, and has been for over 100 years that when labor agrees to productivity improvements its a concession thats usually balanced out with in increase in pay. Productivity improvements without anything in return is a concession.

Without the wage cuts that other airlines are extracting through the bankruptcy process, American could hit the next economic downturn in a vulnerable state.

What planet is this guy from? He writes as if we didnt give up more in one fell swoop than any other carriers workers.

Now, 400 workers do what 700 once handled. Rather than laying off the surplus workers, American is bringing in maintenance work from other airlines to keep them employed.

More lies, the fact is that AA continues to reduce headcount through attrition.

That's true.

BUT, they also layover so amazingly short (hmm....14 hours GRU) then what's the point of being a f/a? No one ever signed up for the money, so why would you want to layover at the airport hotel? (gru - UAL 38 hours AMR 14 hours??!!?? YIKES)

Those amazingly short layovers are some of the most senior trips in the system too. Go figure. 10 days on property a month has its appealing points.

I'd take the days off anyday of the week. I would rather see my family than waste time and money on a layover for 38 hours. NO THANKS!!! Plus, 14 hours still allows you to do any necessary errands with time for food and sleep. FLY- I guess we just value different things in life. No big deal.

I'd take the days off anyday of the week. I would rather see my family than waste time and money on a layover for 38 hours. NO THANKS!!! Plus, 14 hours still allows you to do any necessary errands with time for food and sleep. FLY- I guess we just value different things in life. No big deal.
Some people may have another home away from home! :rolleyes:

And the VERY BEST thing about NOT flying for UA is that we don't have to work with that BITTER, TWISTED SHREW, FLY.

What a pathetic human being "it" is.

And the VERY BEST thing about NOT flying for UA is that we don't have to work with that BITTER, TWISTED SHREW, FLY.

What a pathetic human being "it" is.

????

I happen to agree with Fly about our ridiculously short layovers. Fly, if you think the GRU layover is short, you should see some of our domestic layovers "negotiated" by our union, the Blessed Order of the Perpetually Trip-Removed.

Besides, I have found Fly to be one of the most reasoned, objective posters on this entire bulletin board.

UA has really short domestic layovers as well. I hear them complain just the same on the commuter hotel bus. The older International ones STILL complain about losing there 48 hour layovers in NRT. My god man 48 hours, why would you want to be gone that much, while not making money? I mean a trip here and there, but every trip? NO THANKS!!!

That's true.

Ever since the lay over was shortened we can not get rid of the 30 hour plus lay overs. Every one want the short lay over. So do not complain about short layovers

Ever since the lay over was shortened we can not get rid of the 30 hour plus lay overs. Every one want the short lay over. So do not complain about short layovers
Could that be because they have to fly more hours?

If they have long layovers and have to fly more then they would never be home.

Fly more hours? AA flight attendants at New York probably fly over 90 hours a month (by their own choice).
I have been trying to fly one of those short GRU layovers for years. I will probably never see one as my awarded line.
Our 10 hour turns are the most senior trip on the bidsheet (JFK).Yet at the domestic bidsheets like DCA you see f/'a stuck with crappy 5 hour t/a's to MIA sitting for almost 3! How about building those lines to fly almost 10 hours in one day and still be back home!? Sure you will be exhausted, but that is an additional 6-7 days off per month and still no layover expenditure on the part of the company! If they want to make us more productive all they have to do is schedule it!