AA's on its hubs

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
1413818605d6DsZZ.png

Reactions: 2 people
Is ORD ever going to see a return of the mainline service it used to see? When is ATL, EWR, DEN, MCI, YYZ, SLC, BDL, IAH going to return to mainline service? It is encouraging to see DTW go back to mainline. I would think many of these markets from ORD would be great for the A319?

I agree, but there are only so many 319's to go around right now, and after the F100's were retired, there just wasn't anything left between the 50 seat RJ's and 130 seats on the MD80...

Just give it time.

Reactions: 2 people
the fascination of adding mainline to ORD has to be weighed against the reality that UA is also redoubling its commitment to fight for the Chicago market while WN also has a hub in the region which absolutely pulls a significant amount of local Chicago traffic - and pushes fares down - and they are getting larger aircraft which allow them to very economically add seats to the market.

AA can certainly add larger aircraft but doing so would likely push down yields in the local market and would be matched by other carriers doing the same thing.

The fascination of your AA bashing overshadows any ones thoughts on any AA hub

How is the DL list coming all no of there issues - I see you are still struggling to come up with anything

Hail to DL, hail to DL, hail to DL

Keep up the daily affirmations - just curious do you do those affirmations in front of the mirror?

Reactions: 5 people
AdAstraPerAspera said:
Is ORD ever going to see a return of the mainline service it used to see? When is ATL, EWR, DEN, MCI, YYZ, SLC, BDL, IAH going to return to mainline service? It is encouraging to see DTW go back to mainline. I would think many of these markets from ORD would be great for the A319?

What??
Oh no!!!!
DL will absolutely crush AA on ORD-DTW.  AA will regret the day!  Maybe DL should just finish them off once and for all!
:lol: :D :p

Reactions: 7 people
probably not.

DL flies DTW to both ORD and MDW just as NW did before; they do the same thing to ATL and MSP as well.

DL has the largest share of segment on the local.

Both ORD and MDW to DTW have very high ratios of connecting traffic which validates my statement that adding more capacity only will decrease fares because the amount of local traffic is already highly divided up between the flights that do exist.

The types of connections that exist are different; DL obviously pulls traffic from Chicago going east while AA, UA, and WN pull traffic from DTW going west.

Chicago is a larger city and also has more hubs but fewer cities served west than DL has going east so additional capacity by AA is likely to hurt AA's results more than it will hurt DL.

Further, AA's share gains in the market have come largely from UA which probably recognizes it is not financially worth flying an hour with a bunch of connecting passengers and competing with not only DL's nonstops from DTW to many of the same locations, DL's hubs at MSP and SLC - which carry more westbound DTW traffic that doesn't fly DL nonstop than any other carrier carries westbound from DTW - while also competing with both AA and WN via Chicago.

or perhaps I actually look at the data which confirms the truth, not just mindless guesses.

in this case, AA's gains on DTW-ORD are coming at the expense of AA.

trying to turn it into an AA-DL discussion is inaccurate. the fact that DL is already the largest airline in the market is true regardless.

it is driven by DL having the most service between CHI and DTW and is also precisely why DL fought and succeeded to get into DAL.

Right the DTW-ORD market is the crown jewel in the DLs network - thanks for pointing that out I don't think anyone knew that

eolesen said:
I agree, but there are only so many 319's to go around right now, and after the F100's were retired, there just wasn't anything left between the 50 seat RJ's and 130 seats on the MD80...

Just give it time.
Hint Hint
Express

Latest posts