Afa Loses Again

Piney,

From my perch, your not too savvy on figuring out strategy or tactics for negotiations, for a person who is as outspoken as yourself. Most of your posts indicate that from my perspective. You seem to spot the "underdog", and tend to jump in and hammer away. Everyone likes a winner, but you appear to be obsessed.

I am not trying to psycho anaylze you, even though I do that as my business. But you are a Monopoly poster, and like buying "boardwalk" and "Park Place" every chance you get. :) Try giving the unionized employees and their leadership a chance at "fair play". You tend to do that quite generously for this management.

Here is an interesting article in a local newspaper about U.

Robber barons

Back in not-so-long-ago industrial age America, companies controlled the towns they created around their factories and coal mines.

In a company town, the company dominated all aspects of its workers' lives and those of their families. It controlled where one worked, where one shopped, where one lived and what money was used (company scrip).

The company also controlled what was thought and heard. Union organizers and political activists - anyone who deviated from the company line - were run out of town (if they were lucky) or killed by the Coal and Iron Police.

Fortunately, that era no longer exists - except in the efforts of officials running US Airways, who seem bent on controlling their employees' lives 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

Within the last week or so, the airline has sent a 26-page booklet to all employees, titled "Business Conduct and Ethics Policy." The booklet's first page reads: "As an employee of US Airways Inc., or of one of the wholly owned subsidiaries of US Airways Group, you have an obligation at all times to promote the company's interests."

Among many things, that means not talking to the media, identifying themselves online as US Airways employees or discussing company business with others.

Unfortunately, this isn't a First Amendment issue, which comes into play only if the government tries to censor speech. As private concerns, companies have the power to control what their employees say and do.

In this case, it means that US Airways can control the message with little fear of rebuttal or contradiction from individual employees.

So if a company official trashes the unions for not automatically and immediately crumbling to the airline's demand for more concessions, it means a flight attendant can be reprimanded for pointing out in a letter to the editor that workers have given up $1 billion in annual concessions.

It means a pilot can be fired for going online and informing the public that his union has given some $4 billion in concessions to the company, including the trashing of its pension fund.

It means a mechanic can be penalized for complaining to a counterpart at another airline about the company's latest demands.

It means the company can tell the public whatever it wants and have little or no fear about it being questioned.

Here's an example related directly to the booklet that was sent out. When a company spokesman was asked what was old and what was new in the policy booklet, the response was, basically, "It's none of your business."

But this isn't just a US Airways concern. The company has received $1 billion in taxpayers' dollars via a loan from the Air Transportation Stabilization Board. Local and state concessions have gone into keeping the airline afloat. By muzzling its employees, it is, in effect, telling taxpayers what the airline does is none of their business.

US Airways is intent on creating a modern-day version of the company town. The robber barons of late 19th-century America must be smiling, wherever they are.

BRAVEHEART B)

Braveheart said:
Here is an interesting article in a local newspaper about U.

Robber barons

Back in not-so-long-ago industrial age America, companies controlled the towns they created around their factories and coal mines.

In a company town, the company dominated all aspects of its workers' lives and those of their families. It controlled where one worked, where one shopped, where one lived and what money was used (company scrip).

The company also controlled what was thought and heard. Union organizers and political activists - anyone who deviated from the company line - were run out of town (if they were lucky) or killed by the Coal and Iron Police.

Fortunately, that era no longer exists - except in the efforts of officials running US Airways, who seem bent on controlling their employees' lives 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

Within the last week or so, the airline has sent a 26-page booklet to all employees, titled "Business Conduct and Ethics Policy." The booklet's first page reads: "As an employee of US Airways Inc., or of one of the wholly owned subsidiaries of US Airways Group, you have an obligation at all times to promote the company's interests."

Among many things, that means not talking to the media, identifying themselves online as US Airways employees or discussing company business with others.

Unfortunately, this isn't a First Amendment issue, which comes into play only if the government tries to censor speech. As private concerns, companies have the power to control what their employees say and do.

In this case, it means that US Airways can control the message with little fear of rebuttal or contradiction from individual employees.

So if a company official trashes the unions for not automatically and immediately crumbling to the airline's demand for more concessions, it means a flight attendant can be reprimanded for pointing out in a letter to the editor that workers have given up $1 billion in annual concessions.

It means a pilot can be fired for going online and informing the public that his union has given some $4 billion in concessions to the company, including the trashing of its pension fund.

It means a mechanic can be penalized for complaining to a counterpart at another airline about the company's latest demands.

It means the company can tell the public whatever it wants and have little or no fear about it being questioned.

Here's an example related directly to the booklet that was sent out. When a company spokesman was asked what was old and what was new in the policy booklet, the response was, basically, "It's none of your business."

But this isn't just a US Airways concern. The company has received $1 billion in taxpayers' dollars via a loan from the Air Transportation Stabilization Board. Local and state concessions have gone into keeping the airline afloat. By muzzling its employees, it is, in effect, telling taxpayers what the airline does is none of their business.

US Airways is intent on creating a modern-day version of the company town. The robber barons of late 19th-century America must be smiling, wherever they are.

BRAVEHEART B)
YES...I read that at work last night and was thinking of posting it...thanks much because it rings so friggen true it's scary.

HELLO management team…come and get me…I have no disclaimer beside my screen name. You bunch of cowards!

PineyBob said:
1990Supra said:
Piney,

From my perch, your not too savvy on figuring out strategy or tactics for negotiations, for a person who is as outspoken as yourself. Most of your posts indicate that from my perspective. You seem to spot the "underdog", and tend to jump in and hammer away. Everyone likes a winner, but you appear to be obsessed.

I am not trying to psycho anaylze you, even though I do that as my business. But you are a Monopoly poster, and like buying "boardwalk" and "Park Place" every chance you get. :) Try giving the unionized employees and their leadership a chance at "fair play". You tend to do that quite generously for this management.
Fair Play?

You think this is Little League? There are BILLIONS at stake! You think the IAM is "Playing Fair"? They are playing to WIN! and so is Jerry Glass!

This does not make them evil people who beat their spouses and children. What it does is make them focused, hard nosed business people who play to win and when you play to win there are casualities. Unfortunately very human, touching and tragic collateral damage in a global political, economic chess game that any of us have little control of. I think Shakespere said it best. "All the world's a stage and we're merely players"

All we can do is constantly change and adapt in order to preserve the things we hold dear to our hearts. Some like myself have chosen NOT to play "the corporate game" we work in corporate America not to climb the ladder but to earn a living and milk every last perk and dollar from the system in hope that we can market ourselves to the next employer prior to the next reorg or downsizing.

I make no bones about it. My loyalty to my employer extends through Friday when my next check arrives. A better deal comes along that meets my specific needs and I'm gone.

Supra,
As for negotiating skills, I have a wall full of plaques for outstanding sales performance dating from 1985 until I transitioned into Sales Training in 2000. So I must have SOME negotiating skills having grown my former employers sales from a startup branch to number 1 in sales for my region in under 18 months. I teach negotiating skills and have been an award winning trainer. So you will pardon me if I don't give a fat rats arse what your opinion is. I have the awards, recognition and compensation to prove my skills. We are done and BTW welcome to the debate! Keep up the attack it keeps me sharp for my day job.
Piney,

The employees are playing for survival.

You obviously have no idea what I am implying above. It takes a higher thought process to conceive. You need to attempt to take yourself out of every equation and ease up with the I'm-the-pope vision of yourself in every scenerio.

If you were Pope of USAirways, it would not be in existence today. You would have no following, no passengers, because you would reek of greed as you so eloquentely stated above. LUV succeeds in their constant, orginal form because they elevate their employees to the top of the hiearcy. The same with B6

You're too occupied giving this management team your undivided attention, and ignoring the real assets this company has. You give employees a few words of gratitude here and there so that you don't lose their attention completely and then post topics in hope to lure their participation to prove to only yourself that you may have some leadership influence. To prove to whom is anyone's guess. But its certainly comical to watch and anyone can figure out the MO.

You are at best, entertaining. :up:

Geez Supra,
I don't see why you need to make it so personal against Piney. He just offers a little balance here, sometimes some common sense. One needs to look at what he's posted over the long run. Without him and some others that are perhaps a little less vocal, much of this would just be a big union bit(h-fest. Personally I think US would be a better place with people like him directly involved.

1990Supra said:
I am a new here

and no matter how frustrated I get when I am in long lines or waiting on the phone to rebook, or whatever, I remember these boards, and I make sure I remain courteous to all of you.

You deserve the best, sincerely.

I

WELCOME ABOARD !!!!

Glad to be able to sit back and see 2 Customers going at it rather than the Typical 2 Employees !!!

Although (as you should know by now) I am Furloughed.... Thanks for the Support !!! :)

Guess you were wrong when you said AFA would lose again on January 14. Now don't you think you owe AFA an aplogy?

And furthermore, AFA did not "lose" as you state it in the reserve arbitration. An arbitration is where the parties submit their differences/disagreements to a neutral party and that party makes the decision. To say AFA lost is an expression of you lack of understanding of the entire arbitration process. Exactly how many arbitrations have you participated in? How much experience do you have in such matters? Please let us know.

Latest posts

Back