Afa Wants To Authorize Strike

Imagolfer said:
Do you have proof of 90% of f/a's have college degrees? That seems like a huge STRETCH to me.
[post="201752"][/post]​

Certainly, 90 percent of the ones who started within the past 10 years do, plus many more who began before then. You would be surprised what the promise of a domicile overseas or a flexible schedule can do to even the most successful corporate people. At my domicile, I know tons of people with master's degrees, even an MBA from Notre Dame. I have an M.A. from the same school, and am pursuing an MBA and a CPA designation at another reputable private school. Yet another person I know has my background and is now in med school. This idea that we are nothing but beverage girls and boys needs to end.

sastal said:
Certainly, 90 percent of the ones who started within the past 10 years do, plus many more who began before then. You would be surprised what the promise of a domicile overseas or a flexible schedule can do to even the most successful corporate people. At my domicile, I know tons of people with master's degrees, even an MBA from Notre Dame. I have an M.A. from the same school, and am pursuing an MBA and a CPA designation at another reputable private school. Yet another person I know has my background and is now in med school. This idea that we are nothing but beverage girls and boys needs to end.
[post="201802"][/post]​

Hard to justify that when FAs at JBU or ATA are making far less.

The Gopher said:
All proof that we overpay flight attendants. If you have time and/or money for education like that as an FA, you are overpaid. And yes, I have an MBA and work at WHQ, and got a job and 20% raise based on my degree. You know, the way it works in the rest of the world.
[post="201804"][/post]​

If you wanted to do things that way, good for you. That's not the point of my post. I hope the raise was a while ago, given our recent vicissitudes. At least I didn't play a part in managing this mess.

sastal said:
[post="201802"][/post]​

With an education like yours, I would have to question your sanity...why would you be a flight attendant?

Imagolfer said:
With an education like yours, I would have to question your sanity...why would you be a flight attendant?
[post="201811"][/post]​

To be closer to my family in Europe. Enough said, right? Some things just don't have a price tag. Besides, you CAN really see the world as a f/a. I hope my friends and all colleagues around the system find a way out of this. United gave me what I could only have dreamt of having at another company --a ticket home. I still remember when I joined the airline, not too long ago, what a powerhouse it was. The million-dollar Narita flights and the launch of the 777, the Starbuck's commercials and the round-the-world service. What a mess this has become.

Gopher:

Your comments about flight attendants being overpaid are rather offensive to me. Just so you know, I worked for United for five years based and living in the city of San Francisco on an $18,000 a year salary. I worked damn hard to finally make it to A scale in my sixth year. Once I hit A scale I was actually able to RENT an appartment on my own. On A scale I think I may have pulled in $30,000 during one of those years. The beauty of the job was lots of time off and the ability to pursue other interests, including going back to school, which I did. Since the AFA's first concessionary agreement, all quality of life went out the window. We went from 60-75 hour line month averages to more than 90 hrs. Yeah, a few senior babes with 30+ years seniority can make $45,000 and have more time off, but that is not the reality for the vast majority of UAL F/A's. The reality for most of us in my seniority range...I will have 10 years in April...is that we worked for peanuts for five years, most of it on reserve (i.e. minimum days off). We finally make it to having a liveable wage and the carpet gets pulled out from under us. I have hardly ridden a gravy train during my tenure with United. So how much is "too much"? I am so tired of comments about how flight attendants are uneducated and don't deserve to earn a liveable wage....

Gopher what I want to know is what is managements concession package this time,hopefully not what you got last time,this time you guys need to come off the bench and join the team
Last time
1.under $30,000 NO paycuts
2.paycuts from 3 to 11% depending on salary
3. 11% was only the top 8 executives, most if not all frontlines employees supervisors took not even half of what the frontline employees took no matter whether they were, at step one (1yr) or step ten (10yrs)
4.Those part time employees at the early steps would have liked that management only under $30,000 no paycut rule

Now,

Before we get too far ahead of ourselves with bold statements and chestbanging - let us try to remember similar situations in the fairly recent past.

Didn't TWA face a F/A walkout? It seems that they trained thousands of new ones in a stadium over a weekend. My understanding is that the minimum training requirements are something like 48 hours - a lot less than the 3-6 weeks that airlines choose to do today to try to improve on the customer skills.

With that in mind, the walkout may just be a one-way stroll ?? :(

Globetrotter11 said:
Now,

Before we get too far ahead of ourselves with bold statements and chestbanging - let us try to remember similar situations in the fairly recent past.

Didn't TWA face a F/A walkout? It seems that they trained thousands of new ones in a stadium over a weekend. My understanding is that the minimum training requirements are something like 48 hours - a lot less than the 3-6 weeks that airlines choose to do today to try to improve on the customer skills.

With that in mind, the walkout may just be a one-way stroll ?? :(
[post="201873"][/post]​

Yep. In 1986 the TWA FA's struck over pay cuts. Tough to do when you can be replaced in a week. Carl Icahn didn't even blink, and life went on. The replacement FA's wound up being great to work with. Today's management at UAL and U would be smart to educate themselves on that little bit of airline history. So would the AFA.

I/S

CapnCockroach said:
Yep. In 1986 the TWA FA's struck over pay cuts. Tough to do when you can be replaced in a week. Carl Icahn didn't even blink, and life went on. The replacement FA's wound up being great to work with. Today's management at UAL and U would be smart to educate themselves on that little bit of airline history. So would the AFA.

I/S
[post="201884"][/post]​

a "smart strike" would leave no time to train-or even re train f/as-
In 93 Pena mandated a 10 day training for AA repacement workers (SCABS)
they never made it to the charm farm............

who would want to work with anyone trained in a stadium-where ARE you getting your information??

sastal said:
[post="201802"][/post]​
Then you are the MOST educated idiots I know....... :shock:

sastal said:
To be closer to my family in Europe. Enough said, right? Some things just don't have a price tag. Besides, you CAN really see the world as a f/a. I hope my friends and all colleagues around the system find a way out of this. United gave me what I could only have dreamt of having at another company --a ticket home. I still remember when I joined the airline, not too long ago, what a powerhouse it was. The million-dollar Narita flights and the launch of the 777, the Starbuck's commercials and the round-the-world service. What a mess this has become.
[post="201825"][/post]​
Wait a minute...with all these MBA's from Notre Dame and CPA's and whatever, you stuck around a "non-paying, peanut fetching, coke spilling, people puking, customer bitching job for "flight bennies".....people with those pedigrees are up in first class...being SERVED BY YOU....now I know your full of it..... :shock:

The Ronin said:
The mechanics aren't striking....
[post="201081"][/post]​

Ronin,

Are you sure about that?
That isn't what I am hearing (or reading).

AMFA plans term sheet response

The ATSB said “no†to a flawed business plan when it rejected the loan guarantee. The banks remain skeptical. While some managers clearly want a “new†UAL by seeking more outside maintenance work, others are locked in the past hoping to wait out the latest “lean†models.

Your union leadership is dead-set against new concessions…

The mechanics are caught in the middle—losing jobs and hope. We do the work but management will not listen to us.

The proposed “term sheet†is a slap to our face. It indicates that the “old way of thinking†clearly rules in upper management. Their solution to our financial crisis consists of massive employee concessions. This solution ignores the fundamental systemic changes required to sustain the long-term survival of our company.

The test for AMFA is how we respond. Your union leadership is dead-set against new concessions and will do everything possible to offer an alternative vision to “save†United and protect our wages and jobs.

B) UT

UAL_TECH said:
Ronin,

Are you sure about that?
That isn't what I am hearing (or reading).

AMFA plans term sheet response
B) UT
[post="201909"][/post]​
Pure rhetoric, as ALL the unions will publicly announce. I have walked from gates to hangers, engine shop to backshops. NOBODY likes any of this, but will they "fight and possibly die" over it. Look at the demographic...minimum senority is at 15yrs. Most are to old to start over at the bottom somewhere else (in any industry). I WISH they would stand for something, but most are slugs who never pushed themselves and certainly was never pushed by UAL or its unions to be anything better. Now don't get me wrong, we have some "real players". Smart, hard working, driven and THEY are willing to fight, cause they carry the fight everyday. They're just not enough of them to offset this perversion guiled behind a word we refer to as "unionism" in this industry. I call it subsidized wellfare for if you worked at a small business (notice I did not say bloated company or corporation) most would not be working now. This will roll over rather uneventfully IMO, those that can fend for themselves will move on OR they will just find other means to produce income while this career fades into a part-time job. The others will subsist knowing that no-one else would even pay them this on the outside.

BTW...anyone notice there was not a peep out of AMFA or anyone else until the AFA burned their bra's and raised their skirts to show who the REAL men are around this company....maybe it's because when AMFA dropped their pants....everyone giggled..... :D

The Ronin said:
I have walked from gates to hangers, engine shop to backshops.
[post="201910"][/post]​

Must be a long walk from ORD to SFO.

:p UT