AFW FIASCO AT BAY 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting and at the same time, I'm not surpirsed. There was once a supervisor that came out of stores and into A/C Maintenance at LAX. He is the only person that I ever heard of at AA to fail a Gen Fam.

There are positions in M&E management where the A&P isn't required, i.e. running the admin office, Six Sigma, resource planning, and a few positions in the engineering side. But it's extremely limited.

Last I knew, f you are a first or second level superviser for A&P's, you need to be licensed. That may even extend into the third and fourth level of supervision. I don't necessarily agree with it beyond the first level supervisor (discussed ad naseum here before), but that's the way it has been at AA since the DC3 days.

There are positions in M&E management where the A&P isn't required, i.e. running the admin office, Six Sigma, resource planning, and a few positions in the engineering side. But it's extremely limited.

Last I knew, f you are a first or second level superviser for A&P's, you need to be licensed. That may even extend into the third and fourth level of supervision. I don't necessarily agree with it beyond the first level supervisor (discussed ad naseum here before), but that's the way it has been at AA since the DC3 days.

The problem is that if you are going to have a supervisor/manager/director/vp oversee aircraft mechanics and aircraft maintenance policy and procedures, he or she should have the A&P license and have actually used it throughout their career.
Would it be ok to have the VP of flight operations not be a pilot?

But on the flip side, we have a new supervisor, er I mean Manager, who never worked as a mechanic. This person worked for Rockwell Collins, and I am sorry to say, is clueless and has embarassed the station and continues to do so with the lack of knowledge. But has a license.
So in this case, the certificate means nothing.

Having said this, however, the person who moved that gear handle without checking and rechecking to see if the gear pins were installed is to blame in my opinion. Regardless of who was supervising that day.

Anyone involved in making decisions regarding how aircraft maintenance is run should either be an A&P or an engineer. Having people unfamiliar with the process and why its that way in charge is a recipie for disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts