Against the tide

getitgoin

Apr 29, 2008
If the media and your bosses and the government all tell you that times have changed, and we have to get used to changing jobs eleven times in our lifetime, and we've got to build our own retirements, and we've got to get used to lower wages, and higher energy costs, and not as many opportunities for our kids, and this and that and the other thing and so...on, yet we see a record number of billionaires appearing, and corporations are exploiting the labor of other countries, oil companies with record profits, and you get the picture.

Then we have the American public going along... like so many do, just taking for granted that our government is good. Too apathetic to care about how Americans have gained the right to enjoy the fruits of their labor. A curious anomoly among the public. I think most people believe that governments intent,is as good as their own. And so they say, when I say give me back what you've taken, "you have to go along". "You can't make waves". Or,"times change and you must too".

Governments good intent..... hmmm. Well now. That leads to questions for everyone.

If our government is inherently good.... then why did labor unionists die by the hundreds in battles against our government and it's greedy enablers? Better yet,"why do we need labor unions"?
Why, did our government change the way of calculating unemployment numbers to not include the unemployed that are longer receiving unemployment benefits and yet are still out of work?

I don't think I need to go on. However these are things that labor-unionists care about, and more importantly, speak out about. We don't go-along.

If the media and your bosses and the government all tell you that times have changed, and we have to get used to changing jobs eleven times in our lifetime, and we've got to build our own retirements, and we've got to get used to lower wages, and higher energy costs, and not as many opportunities for our kids, and this and that and the other thing and so...on, yet we see a record number of billionaires appearing, and corporations are exploiting the labor of other countries, oil companies with record profits, and you get the picture.

Then we have the American public going along... like so many do, just taking for granted that our government is good. Too apathetic to care about how Americans have gained the right to enjoy the fruits of their labor. A curious anomoly among the public. I think most people believe that governments intent,is as good as their own. And so they say, when I say give me back what you've taken, "you have to go along". "You can't make waves". Or,"times change and you must too".

Governments good intent..... hmmm. Well now. That leads to questions for everyone.

If our government is inherently good.... then why did labor unionists die by the hundreds in battles against our government and it's greedy enablers? Better yet,"why do we need labor unions"?
Why, did our government change the way of calculating unemployment numbers to not include the unemployed that are longer receiving unemployment benefits and yet are still out of work?

I don't think I need to go on. However these are things that labor-unionists care about, and more importantly, speak out about. We don't go-along.

You are so right about the apathey. Corporate america (in conjunction with conservative America IMHO) spends billions maybe even more on spin campaigns designed to convince us all that standing up for ourselves is a communist idea. They talk about how labor unions are and have been corrupt. But any corruptness that the labor unions are guilty of corporate America are guilty 10x that amount. It is ashamed that I feel like corporate America is the bad guys but they are the ones with the money which is power. They accuse anyone that wants to check thier power as being anti business or even better anti small business. They love to call themselves small business. In the past corporations were the hope of our nation. Now IMHO, global cororations are killing us as a country. They are defiling our constitution, the American Dream and our envirornment. In the past we polluted because we didnt know any better. Now we pollute out of shear greed. When I say "we" , I mean we as a collective. IMHO, government is supposed to be leaders. Now our government is controlled by corporations which suite thier profit needs at the expense of what is good for the rest of us. I watch CNBC a lot and it amazes me how many on there brag about profits being the only thing that matters. No one seems to counter that presumption. Profits are important but not the most important. Just look at our healtcare system. We are not being treated regardless of the cost, someone in a room with no windows does a cost benefit analysis (someone who has no emotional attatchment to those being cared for) and our lives hang in the balance. If it cost more than their profit line can afford then you are screwed. Plus they get a bonus if they turn you down for treatment. Now I know this is probably not the proper thread to vent my dissatisfaction on but I didnt start this thread. Just saw the opportunity and couldnt resist.

Back