Air Force Advice Given.......

mudduck

Nov 28, 2003
Anyone wanting information on Aircrew Selection, Basic Training, Second Language Training, Primary Flight Training, and Moose Jaw, ask me here. I will try to give some good advice. I have just gone through it all..
Cheers

Hi Mudduck! :D

Thanks for the help... :up:

I just want to know if you already had a pilot licence before getting to the basic flying training.

They told me back at Trenton that because I have my CPL Multi-IFR I could jump right into the Harvard II at Moose Jaw.

As for the second language, how they test your knowledge.
I heard that the demand for pilots is so high that they bring all the pilots directly to the basic flying training without having any type of course on second language...

is this true?

I didn't have any flight experience when I went through, but a private license would have helped alot, not for the flying part but for the met and studying. I was one of the few guys that had not been through a groundschool of some kind.
I would go to Portage if they let you. The flying would be basic, but you would get a taste of the 'military life'. Also, its good to get in with the class since you will be spending alot of time with these people over the next couple of years. (just watch out for the bluberry blondes...)

As for French language training.. We had to get to Level 2 before heading to Moose Jaw. Level one is the sandbox level, level two being basic conversation and writing. St'Jean is great though, lots of French girls wanting to learn english... fun times..... :rolleyes:

The military is bad for rumours. Don't belive anything you hear, especially from a recruiting office, until you have orders in hand and are heading to the base. Don't listen to others on your same course that say "he is going here or there are 5 jet spots... etc. " I saw alot of people worry a bunch about stuff that was out of their control...
Let me know what the recruitng office told you and I will translate it for you.....
Cheers
MD

Hey mudduck,

Are you waiting for AFT now? If so, what kind of waits are people looking at for AFT? What kind of slots did you get for your course (ie. 1/2/7)?

my course got 4 jet, 4 multi and 6 chopper I think... something close to that. Didn't matter where you ended up.... Top student gets his pick, but after that its a free for all...
Guys can wait up to 6 months for a hornet course, a couple of months for a chopper course and I have heard up to a year for a herc.

I could use some advice...I recently went through the Aircrew Selection process and did not pass the flight simulator test. I have no real flight experience (other than a couple of flights with an instructor friend of mine and Microsoft flight sim). Nobody in my group without flight experience passed...but I heard that there is a pretty good pass rate for those that go away, get their private pilots licence and then re-take the aircrew selection test. Any word or advice? Anyone out there done this? This is something I know I could do with a bit of practice and I am starting my ppl this weekend. Thanks.

What would it be like if I was engaged/married? Are there any special accom or anything for spouses? Are you required to live on base? what are the hours like?

thnx

:D Hey!!! Guys!!! How is it going?

As I told you the last time I've posted something here (a very long time ago.. :( ) I'm in St-Jean now for the basic officer training.

Just finished the week #10 of 14 and just to give you an idea of what I think about this experience.....well It's really not something I will do a second time.....and that's for sure! <_<

But...the good thing is....that I will probably be in my plane at the beginning of May in Portage. :up:

To answer the question of mcjeffren, yes the army have special accomodation for your family BUT there is so much info on that subject that you should emailed all your questions to the Air Force Headquarters at Winnipeg. Don't and I repeat Don't go to a recruitment center to ask your questions. If you want precise answer about your questions they will give you the correct answers!!!!

Well that's it, I will give you guys some news after the end of the basic training. As now, for the guys how are flying be careful :p and for those how are dreaming like me of being at the control af an airplane...like I said many times...don't give up!!!!!!! :up:

I have a few questions, i was trying to get in the march aircrew selection but missed it. The recruiting center told me that they dont know if they will offer cotp for pilot (countining education training program). You dont need university to get in on this plan. I was wondering how desperate they are for more pilots as i am nevous about wheather or not they will offer it, and if they dont i may miss my chance on other trades....also what exactly do you get tested on at aircrew selection? I have my PPL and 200 hours, with aerobatic experience. Should i do some IFR flights for the airecrew selection? How much fitness tests and exams are there?

SHawn F

Back