Joining The Canadian Forces.

Gand

Nov 12, 2003
Hello Everybody,

I'm hoping that some current CF Pilots might have some answers to my questions.

Here's my situation. I'm a 21 yr old college aviation grad with a commercial Multi-IFR, finishing up an instructor rating, and sitting at about 250 hours. I've been in the civilian aviation industry for over three years, and despite its tendency to eat its own young, the market is opening up once again.

From my current position, with the usual amount of hard work and some time, I can probably make a descent career for myself. But, the forces are still an option, especially with the CEOTP still open, at least for now, and I must admit I’m tempted once again.

So assuming I can actually work my way through all the known steps, and I choose to sign the papers, what can I expect from there on? That's a pretty vague question I know, but any information regarding everything from the flight training to the lifestyle, job satisfaction, and quality of life of a forces pilot is much appreciated.

During the course work, how big are the flying classes, and what seems to be the best skills or tools to have to have a real shot of finishing at the top? Is it practical flying stuff; met, air law etc? Or is it more of an abstract topic base?

I'm also wondering about things like, can I use the privileges of my civilian licenses, say instructing at a local flight school on the weekends while currently in the forces? Also, at what point can you start living off base if you choose? What about flying "tours" versus desk jobs. How much of you seven years can you expect to be pushin' pencils, and how much of that is at your control?

Anyway, sorry for the longer post, I’m just really interested in getting some "real" info from those in the training process and those already serving our country. Any information is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Gand

A search of this forum will reveal many answers to the questions you've asked...

Do you care what kind of aircraft you will eventually fly? There's a 50-70% chance you will get helicopters. If you don't want helo you'll have to do exceptionally well. Ground school/air law type stuff is a bit of a moot point as most people do well in groundschool (92% average in mine). If you want top spot you'll want to do extremely well on every flight and have almost perfect tests. This sounds ominous, but the instructors teach to a higher standard than the testors mark at, but definitely not a piece of cake. Training backlog has been whittled down quite a bit so look forward to getting winged in about 2.5 to 3 years. The big wait for you will be for your OTU (airframe specific course, Griffon, Herc...). After wings you will owe the 7 years so look at spending at least 9-10 years in the CF. You can fly on the side but don't count on your boss scheduling around your part time job!

If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer...

Thanks donnybrook, i appreciate the reply. If you don't mind, here's a couple more questions for ya.

I've heard the story that the top of the class get to choose his future platform. If this is true, how is the rest of the class divided up? Do the candidates that finish better than most generally get fixed wing, or is there some other predictable pattern?

Thanks again.

Gand

The short answer...it depends. It depends on how many of each slot the course gets, how many people are on the course, who does the selection, etc. I would join with the mindset that you are going to fly a helicopter, and then if you get a FW platform it's gravy! However, GENERALLY, the top person will get his/her pick if the slot is available, but there have been courses where everone went rotary. Also, the top dog might get the "jet" slot, but they will end up in Moose Jaw instructing on the Harvard if there isn't a Hornet seat available. It's a wild roll of the dice, but if you can be happy no matter what you fly, it's a good gamble!

Latest posts