Airbus 350, better late then never

flyingcat

Veteran
Oct 10, 2005
It seems that the 350 might once again be delayed. ATW is now reporting that the composite/aluminium frame may be scrapped in favor of an all compossite airframe the new EIS would be in 2014.

Now to recap US ordered the first version of the 350 MK.1.

Now it has not been reconfirmed, yet, for the Mk 2 and the 2012 EIS date.

With another delay for the Mk 3, can US even wait that long?

Absent the DL merger which is a whole other thing best kept to another thread because I fear hijacking. <_<

It had better be really special if it's gonna be delayed until 2014. And even then, airlines might not wait around that long. Airbus may eventually be relegated to a narrowbody niche - given the widespread success of the A320 and the dismal acceptance of its other products lately.

And, of course, who knows what kind of widebody would be the choice of the new USDL (assuming it ever happens)?

Interesting times to be sure. The A350's were to have been delivered starting in 2011, so it's now at least a 3 year delay.

Two other tidbits:

- The order is for the "A350 aircraft to be built in accordance with the then current standard specifications of the manufacturer of such aircraft.

- Up to 10 of the A350 orders can be converted to the A330.

It looks as if US may have some decisions to make after this merger hoopla is over.

Jim

The Boeing 787 line seems to be running along right on schedule. Then again, there might be some used DC-10s and L-1011s sitting in the Victorville and Marana deserts that we could always pick up (note sarcasm here, please! If I never work on another DC-10 again it will be too soon!).

Interesting times to be sure. The A350's were to have been delivered starting in 2011, so it's now at least a 3 year delay.

Two other tidbits:

- The order is for the "A350 aircraft to be built in accordance with the then current standard specifications of the manufacturer of such aircraft.

- Up to 10 of the A350 orders can be converted to the A330.

It looks as if US may have some decisions to make after this merger hoopla is over.

Jim

With these delays from Airbus Industrie, our CEO should be trying to convince the higher ups in Toulouse to give us 2 A330s for the price of 1. Just use the approach that we get on the front line from passengers on a delayed Ft.Lauderdale flight...."How are you going to compensate me for my inconveeeeeenience?"

If anything, Airbus should give brand new 330s as a temporary stopgap. They have been busting their butts to win and keep 350 customers that they will be so desperate they might give us anything we want. :up:

This could end up being the best discount that Airbus has ever given US.

Even topping the Stephen Wolf and the pantless frenchman deal.

:mf_boff:

There's one factor with the A330's, even the one's we've got coming in 2009-2010, that could make a difference (at least it'd be something I'd look at closely) - operating cost.

I suspect it's almost guaranteed that the A330's will end up leased by virtue of a sale/leaseback, since HP leases all their airplanes. With the significantly better operating economics of the 787 and the A350 when it's available, would we be able to get some relatively short term leases on the 330's, or would we be stuck with a less efficient airplane for a number of years.

If I had to guess, it would be that Tempe would go with the cheapest to acquire. But giving up the operating efficiency for a number of years could get expensive, especially if fuel gets very expensive.

Jim

If anything, Airbus should give brand new 330s as a temporary stopgap. They have been busting their butts to win and keep 350 customers that they will be so desperate they might give us anything we want. :up:

This could end up being the best discount that Airbus has ever given US.

Even topping the Stephen Wolf and the pantless frenchman deal.

:mf_boff:

Bend over, Frenchy, daddy needs some widebodies. :shock:

Yeah but the 787 and the 350 will be more effecient than the 777-200 and carry the same amount of passengers.

The 787 will actually make the 777-200 obsolete. :shock:
If US were to make an order for the 787, when would it be available for US to receive? I understand there is abit of a backlog for them.

Also Why not order some 767's. They are still making them, and US needs something rather quickly. Either that or push up the A330-200 order. But then again, I am sure they can afford to wait, with all this seat pitch and cabin changing, they'd be better off just staying put. No need for additional planes, there won't be any customers.
I hope that last statement I made was wrong, US does have some great employees, but for sandcastle's sake. <BLEEP>

Yeah but the 787 and the 350 will be more effecient than the 777-200 and carry the same amount of passengers.

The 787 will actually make the 777-200 obsolete. :shock:

While the 787 will be a leap forward, not sure it will make the 777 obsolete. The 787 cabin will be about 15 inches narrower than the 777, which will mean one less seat per row, and will have a range of about 1000nm less than the 777LR. Still gonna be an ultra-long range market for the 777LR that the 787 can't do. Not to mention the 777 will have a 100,000 mtow advantage, aka more/heavier cargo.

While the 787 will be a leap forward, not sure it will make the 777 obsolete. The 787 cabin will be about 15 inches narrower than the 777, which will mean one less seat per row, and will have a range of about 1000nm less than the 777LR. Still gonna be an ultra-long range market for the 777LR that the 787 can't do. Not to mention the 777 will have a 100,000 mtow advantage, aka more/heavier cargo.
---------------------------------------------------------

And the closest I will get to this magnificent machine is a jumpseat....
I would prefer to be a company j/s rider but if the deal falls thru can I still ride? Ill buy the first round in europe!......