Airline Industry Is Doomed

usair_begins_with_u said:
They will make money when pilots salaries are cut by about 60%.... theres no flocking way a pilot deserves to make more than 70K a year.
[post="287692"][/post]​
Cutting salaries and or people is the easiest way slash costs. But, what do after that is done? True efficiency is when you keep Value (knowledge based employees) and improve the processes/product costs, etc. Cutting salaries do not make long term savings... Let's pray the new regime has bigger sights on cost savings than doing the "easy way out" by cutting salary.

usair_begins_with_u said:
My first clue is that the airline industry as a whole has lost many billions since deregulation. Pilot salaries are the only big ticket cost left that management has control over... trust me, its going to happen in time. I envision day piolts are taken out of the loop.. If they can shoot a 20 ton missle 8000 miles away and hit a target within 9 meters.. surely they can program planes to take off and land.. just look at a cruise missle.. same concept. These high salaries will only speed up the technology conversion. We may not see this next year, but some of us wil surely see it in our life times.
[post="287755"][/post]​

It's relatively easy to fly something THAT IS SUPPOSED TO CRASH at the end of it's journey...entirely different to arrive safely.

And I'd imagine you'd feel different if you or a beloved one was non-reving on that Boston flight awhile ago.

Y'alls assumptions are wrong. WN is the best example. WN's wages and bene's are higher & they have the highest % of union employees of all the airlines.