Fly

Veteran
Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
United chief predicts airline mergers

By Doug Cameron in Chicago
Thursday, January 19, 2006
Posted: 06:50 PM EST (23:50 London)

Changes in the regulatory environment are likely to permit mergers between major US airlines, Glenn Tilton, chairman and chief executive of United Airlines, said on Thursday as the carrier looks to a future beyond three years in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

Many industry observers expect a reorganised United to take part in future consolidation, after a bid to buy US Airways in 2000 was blocked by the US Department of Justice. US Airways was subsequently acquired last year by America West, a smaller rival, but speculation continues that United could eventually combine with Houston-based Continental (NYSE:CAL) .

United expects to receive court approval for its restructuring plan on Friday, paving the way for it to leave Chapter 11 on February 1.

United has cut $7bn from annual expenses after two rounds of pay cuts and the dumping of its underfunded pension plan, and Mr Tilton said the current restructuring plan was "light years" away from previous efforts that twice saw applications for federal loans turned down.

"The positive surprise is going to be the resilience of this particular piece of work," he said. "I think we're going to do well in a good market and do better in a difficult market."

Mr Tilton defended the strategy against criticism that elements such as revenue growth were overly optimistic, and said it was "just scratching the surface" of efforts such as attracting more business passengers with extra amenities and more leg-room. "Our revenue assumptions are conservative," he said.

United has one of the strongest networks in the US and has expanded its hubs at Washington Dulles and Denver while shifting capacity from the domestic market to more profitable routes to Europe and Asia.

Mr Tilton said the syndication of a $3bn loan to fund its exit from bankruptcy was oversubscribed, and the carrier forecasts a return to profitability this year after running up operating losses of $2.5bn over the past three years. The restructuring plan was backed by unsecured creditors, and United overcame the last big obstacle on Wednesday when the bankruptcy judge approved a management compensation plan despite widespread opposition from unions.

The Justice Department will be much more favorable to airline mergers after so many carriers have filed bankruptcy. UA may participate in merger activity or may not. We must clearly understand, however, that any merger activity will be initiated with the express purpose of reducing "back office" and support costs and for expanding market reach without adding capacity to the system. Any merger between US carriers will result in significant reductions in headcount at the "acquired" carrier's headquarters: staff representatives, analysts and, yes, vice-presidents. If you work at any carrier's headquarters, watch out, here it comes.

Of course, the highest ranking among the displaced will be comfortably protected with golden parachutes, but over time, the savings to the combined carrier will be real.

The interesting thing to look for once UA finally emerges from Ch. 11 is a bit more hard-hitting information on what their competitive business plan is going forward. For the last 3 years or so, they've basically been focused on balance sheet yoga and survival. Now it's time to see what their plans on for competing and regaining lost market share. I honestly do no think Glenn Tilton is interested in running UA for the long haul. I believe he was brought in to do a job: navigate UA down the long, tough road of Chapter 11 and bring them out on the other end. Now that he's done that, I don't expect he's really interested in sticking around for the long haul. I think he's more interested in taking his millions and moving on to the next challenge. If nothing else, he is smart enough to know that there is no long-term future for airline executives. Better to leave on a high note with a reputation for having helped get UA through bankruptcy successfully than stick around too long and be remembered as the guy who couldn't get it done for the long haul.

Look east, far far east, for airlines w/ cash who want to gain more US market share.

"Paging Mr.Chew Choon Seng please" (all you wiseasses can google him....)

Course Denny Hastert has to first do something about that bothersome 24.9% rule.

How about Big Brown for a partner?

Look east, far far east, for airlines w/ cash who want to gain more US market share.

Course Denny Hastert has to first do something about that bothersome 24.9% rule.

naaahhh :D

How about ExxonMobile for a partner, instead?

Dave:
That may be the single best comment made on this board in awhile. It makes too much sense................... I'm sending off an email to the CEO right now.

==========================================================

"HEY",
That will work for me !!

AA and FEDEX have been "BUM BUDDIES" for a long time
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

NH/BB's

NHBB,

The only reason AA & FED EX had been bum buddies was only during the purchasing of AA's MD-11's that AA'S maintenance department converted to freighters. And if my memory serves me correctly that purchase of the MD-11's also included some JT8D hush kits that FED EX got for an awful great price???

And once upon a time Big Brown did try to use some of their 727's for charters with roll in roll out seating on weekend untilization that flopped!