Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Baggage weighs
down US Airways
Airline ranks last in customer service
STEVE HARRISON
[email protected]
US Airways is again taking its lumps when it comes to customer service, ranking last among 14 major carriers in the annual Airline Quality Rating released Monday.

The Tempe, Ariz.-based carrier fared well in the percentage of flights that arrived on-time and in the rate of passengers bumped from flights during 2006.

But US Airways mishandled luggage at a greater rate than any other major carrier, and its rate of customer complaints tied with United Airlines for the highest.

The good news for US Airways, which has its largest hub in Charlotte, is it was one of only two airlines that scored higher compared to 2005. Northwest also improved.

What's unclear is what drove the improvement.

"US Airways got better than anyone else," said Dean Headley, associate professor of marketing at Wichita State University, which conducted the survey along with the University of Nebraska-Omaha. "Was that because they merged with America West and America West didn't drag them down? Given what they are trying to do -- put two corporate cultures together -- improving is a pretty good feat."

In 2005, the last time the airlines were surveyed separately, America West ranked sixth of 17 airlines, while US Airways came in 15th.

The survey uses U.S. Department of Transportation data for its rankings and then applies them to its own formula. The rankings have been issued since 1991, and take disjointed government data and packages them for consumers and the media.

US Airways spokesman Phil Gee said some of the airline's problems last year were because of its merger with America West. When the two airlines merged their Web sites in May, passengers were irked by glitches such as displaying inaccurate Dividend Miles balances.

The airline averaged 1.3 complaints per 100,000 passengers through the first five months of 2006. From June through August, US Airways' average rose to 1.8 complaints per 100,000 passengers. The rate of complaints dropped in the last four months of the year.

The airline's other problem is mishandling luggage. US Airways mishandled 7.8 pieces of luggage per 1,000 passengers, compared to an industry average of 6.5. Among the nation's largest carriers, Delta Air Lines had the second-worst baggage performance, at 6.8.

In 2005, US Airways' rate was worse, at 9.6. US Airways has said the luggage problem is focused in Philadelphia, which has been plagued by ramp worker shortages and outdated equipment. The airline is spending $20 million to improve Philadelphia, the airline's second-largest hub.

The airline believes it's already getting better. The percent of flights where baggage is sent to the carousel in Philadelphia within 30 minutes of the plane's arrival time was 95.5 percent in March, up from 82.2 percent in October.

"I think in Philadelphia we've seen some real movement, but it's not consistent yet," Gee said.

Charlotte has long been considered a relatively trouble-free hub for US Airways, though it's been beset by problems recently. When the airline switched to a single reservations system March 4, the airline's self-service kiosks didn't work, and the airline was overwhelmed by long lines, with some passengers waiting more than three hours to see an agent.

Two weeks later, a late winter storm caused cancellations throughout the east coast. There were again long lines in Charlotte, and roughly 3,000 people slept in the airport one night.

Some ticket and gate agents have complained that understaffing made problems worse at Charlotte. Airline executives said they have no plans to increase staffing here.

Those problems would appear in the next quality survey released in 2008.

Overall, most airline's quality rankings diminished last year.

Headley attributed the decline to airlines flying nearly full. Because of high fuel prices, airlines have been hesitant to add new flights.

"It's small planes and less mainline capacity (non-regional airlines)," Headley said. "The growth in the system has all been regional carriers. Load factors are now above 80 percent. Even after 9-11, they were at 65 or 70 percent."

Hawaiian Airlines had the best score, followed by JetBlue. The Airline Quality Rating was first used in 1991. To read the full report, go to www.aqr.aero.

Baggage weighs
down US Airways
Airline ranks last in customer service
STEVE HARRISON
[email protected]
US Airways is again taking its lumps when it comes to customer service, ranking last among 14 major carriers in the annual Airline Quality Rating released Monday.
<SNIP>

Perhaps when the numbers are in for March, then MAYBE the brains in Tempe will realize that something is definitely WRONG with US. Hopefully thousands of consumers complained to the DOT regarding our poor performance and service failures due to misconnections, long ATO lines, cancelled flights and PAWOBS, and the non-functionality of SHARES. Perhaps then the DOT will investigate as to why these failures spiked in March. Tempe has to listen to the DOT as its obvious that they don't listen to their consumers nor their employees, all of whom are impacted. No doubt we will be again at the bottom for On Time Performance, PAWOBS and Complaints.

So whatever happened to your friend that trekked out to Tempe to try to "change their ways?" Haven't heard much; still too soon??? :huh:

Perhaps when the numbers are in for March, then MAYBE the brains in Tempe will realize that something is definitely WRONG with US. Hopefully thousands of consumers complained to the DOT regarding our poor performance and service failures due to misconnections, long ATO lines, cancelled flights and PAWOBS, and the non-functionality of SHARES. Perhaps then the DOT will investigate as to why these failures spiked in March. Tempe has to listen to the DOT as its obvious that they don't listen to their consumers nor their employees, all of whom are impacted. No doubt we will be again at the bottom for On Time Performance, PAWOBS and Complaints.

Pre merger Us airways, was also having problems with Baggs (i.e. Christmas in PHL) as well the Customer service wasn't stellar one. Hence, no change since the merger just continue the same unacceptable pattern.

as well the Customer service wasn't stellar one.

Part of the problem is staffing. We just hired 6 people about 1 month ago. 1 quit after 2 weeks and so far 2 have failed out of class leaving us with 3 of the original 6 and they still have 2 weeks of class to go before coming back to the station. Now we are 3 short to start with again. This doesnt include the training agent who has been in CLT/PHX for a year, the agent who became auditor/temp station secretary, and numerous other people I've lost track of in the shuffle. They just need to hire a lot so at the end of the training we might actually have a couple left on property to get back up to minimum staffing numbers. Its bad where I work and I can only imagine what its like in the bigger cities trying to get people hired and get them to pass class and actually stay more than a couple weeks. Until they get the starting $ and hiring/training issues worked out, things arent going to get much better customer service wise.

We just had a new hire say he would be right back. Never to be seen again! not the first time it's happened.

I heard from an agent in phl on B concourse last week there were 4 agents on the nit shift to handle 16 gates...but hey staffing is just where it should be right :blink: SO if you sit and wait for a jetway driver please have a little sympathy for us. We can only be in one place at one time. We just had agts leaving in drove after QIK came on board and the rest of us are busy having nrevous breakdowns!!!!!

I heard from an agent in phl on B concourse last week there were 4 agents on the nit shift to handle 16 gates...but hey staffing is just where it should be right :blink: SO if you sit and wait for a jetway driver please have a little sympathy for us. We can only be in one place at one time. We just had agts leaving in drove after QIK came on board and the rest of us are busy having nrevous breakdowns!!!!!
4 agents for 16 gates? That is even a low average if you are a baseball player too. McDonald's has better staffing levels. I don't know how many Part Timers there are, but they should increase it somewhere along the line, whether it be PT or FT. They should know the percentage of new hires that stay on and the ones that leave. If they need 200 workers, that is all they hire. But there will be a certain percentage that won't stay. I am not sure what the percentage is, but they are supposed to be good at Excel, obviously somethings gone wrong. They need 200 workers, they should hire 250. There will be attrition among them. And it will take new hires time to get adapted to things so, don't schedule them all at the same time, spread them out. Its just that management got to start doing their job.

4 agents for 16 gates? That is even a low average if you are a baseball player too. McDonald's has better staffing levels. I don't know how many Part Timers there are, but they should increase it somewhere along the line, whether

That is a really sad statement of the "State of Affairs" at LCC. BUT - the flip side of that is as a customer - I often see jets waiting to be marshalled in and a group of ramp agents just standing around talking and ignoring the fact that there is a plane out there - so it's hard to have sympathy in this case. (Mostly Terminal F in PHL - I know I know - but........)

I once even witnessed a pilot walk up to a group of employees to get one of them to board our flight since it was already 10 minutes past departure and no one was doing anything. So again - hard to have sympathy when you witness situations like that.