Airline Will Try To Beat The Heat

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
By Steve Halvonik
Sunday, May 16, 2004

US Airways will hold its annual shareholders meeting Wednesday in Alabama as the airline prepares for what experts say will be a make-or-break summer.
In spite of a bankruptcy restructuring, $1.8 billion in cost-cutting, a $1 billion federal loan and the elimination of thousands of jobs, US Airways is still teetering on the brink of financial collapse. Its cost structure remains the highest in the industry, it's under assault from Southwest Airlines in its most lucrative market and it's confronting soaring fuel costs -- its second-biggest expense -- at the start of its busiest season.

"It appears they've reached their triple witching hour," said Olivia S. Mitchell, executive director of the Pension Research Council at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of Business.

Management's immediate task is to convince disgruntled employees and restive shareholders that its latest turnaround plan, which has been revealed in bits and pieces over recent weeks, really will work. If it doesn't, the company is likely headed for a second bankruptcy and possible liquidation.
"The big question is this: Will the new model fly?" said Ray Neidl, aviation analyst with Blaylock & Partners in New York.

Chairman David Bronner will lay out his case to employees and shareholders Wednesday.

The new model calls for a total reinvention of US Airways, from a traditional hub-and-spoke mainline carrier to a modern point-to-point flier in the mold of low-cost carriers like Southwest and AirTran. US Airways' goal is to protect its Eastern stronghold by matching competitors' cheap fares.

US Airways already has slashed ticket prices in Philadelphia, its most profitable market, to hold off Southwest Airlines.

Making the new model work won't be easy. The company must slash an additional $1.5 billion from expenses through union concessions and overhauling hub operations in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Charlotte, N.C. Airline experts said all of this probably has to be accomplished by the end of the summer, or US Airways won't survive long enough for another shareholders meeting.

"Their options are narrowing as time passes," said Phil Roberts, vice president and managing partner of R2A Transportation Management Consultants in San Francisco. "This summer is absolutely crucial for cash generation."

Getting the unions to go along is the biggest hurdle. Having conceded $1 billion in wages and benefits in two earlier rounds of cost-cutting, employees are not in a particularly giving mood. Many of them believe that David Siegel, US Airways' former chief executive officer, squandered those concessions.

Their refusal to negotiate further givebacks led to Siegel's departure last month. It's now up to the new CEO -- Bruce Lakefield, who is reportedly on friendlier terms with union representatives -- to obtain $800 million to $900 million more in labor concessions from the airline's 28,000 workers.

"You're talking about a huge change in cost structure, and it's not clear the unions are going to cooperate," Mitchell said.

Jim Roddey, the former Allegheny County chief executive, said: "They may get the pilots (to cooperate), but I don't think they're going to get the mechanics. They're the toughest."

Bronner's changing of CEOs may have improved the negotiating atmosphere, but it hasn't altered the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers' bargaining position, said union spokesman Joseph Tiberi.

"We believe we can help the company save substantial amounts of money, which it needs, without reopening our contracts," Tiberi said. The contracts, signed during bankruptcy reorganization, don't expire until 2008, he added.

Jack Stephan, a spokesman for the Air Line Pilots Association, said he was optimistic that his union could reach a new agreement with US Airways.

"We definitely like the Bronner-Lakefield team," Stephan said. "Bronner is a straight shooter, and Lakefield brings incredible integrity and credibility to an organization where it was lacking."

Neidl said he remained optimistic that US Airways management could succeed.

"Can they move quick enough? I think they can," Neidl said. "They're doing a good job and they're getting some favorable buzz. All they need is employee enthusiasm."

Jack Stephan, a spokesman for the Air Line Pilots Association, said he was optimistic that his union could reach a new agreement with US Airways.

"We definitely like the Bronner-Lakefield team," Stephan said. "Bronner is a straight shooter, and Lakefield brings incredible integrity and credibility to an organization where it was lacking."

Neidl said he remained optimistic that US Airways management could succeed.

"Can they move quick enough? I think they can," Neidl said. "They're doing a good job and they're getting some favorable buzz. All they need is employee enthusiasm."

Everybody at US Airways is frustrated and angry with what has happened to our company and our jobs, but logic should prevail.

For those of us who are angry and would rather see the company "burn to the ground" instead of accepting an America West type of contracts, I believe Dave Siegel made a valid point during his webcast. He went so far as to encourage employees to leave the company if new work contracts aren't agreeable, rather than to fight the change. "If it doesn't work, I'd encourage you to support the change, and then go on and find something else," he said. "It's better to have a job when you're trying to find another job."

The only people who will benefit if US Airways fails willl be the competition.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Bronner's changing of CEOs may have improved the negotiating atmosphere, but it hasn't altered the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers' bargaining position, said union spokesman Joseph Tiberi.

"We believe we can help the company save substantial amounts of money, which it needs, without reopening our contracts," Tiberi said. The contracts, signed during bankruptcy reorganization, don't expire until 2008, he added.

"It appears they've reached their triple witching hour," said Olivia S. Mitchell, executive director of the Pension Research Council at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of Business.

Management's immediate task is to convince disgruntled employees and restive shareholders that its latest turnaround plan, which has been revealed in bits and pieces over recent weeks, really will work. If it doesn't, the company is likely headed for a second bankruptcy and possible liquidation.
"The big question is this: Will the new model fly?" said Ray Neidl, aviation analyst with Blaylock & Partners in New York.

700UW:

You can pound your chest and the keyboard all you want, but the current environment will not support the current cost structure.

David Bronner has said the "Transformation Plan" will go forward "with or without employees" and I believe if the IAM formally takes the position they indicate in the press, then the company will enter bankruptcy, seek to eliminate the mechanics through the S.1113 process, which will make the IAM irrelevant to the process. Or if the company strikes new accords with all of the employee groups except the IAM and loses the A320 overhaul arbitration, then the company will implement their IAM "painful plan".

It's the IAM's choice to be part of the process or carved out of the company. There are no other options for IAM members except corporate failure and liquidation.

By the way, I am positioned for a corporate failure and my income will not change, although my lifestyle will because I will work more with a more rigid schedule. With all due respect, how about you?

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Yep and you can get on your knees and bendover for Bronner everytime like your group has and it still has not changed a thing.

And like I told you numerous times before since 1113 inception no contract in the airlines has been abrogated, it is not simply the stroke of a pen, but hey we all know you choose to ignore facts, since they always prove you are wrong, and hey it would be veryhard to keep a plane airworthy with no TRAINED mechanics to keep them flying, no rampers to load them, no agents to take phone calls and check people in, but hey don't let facts get in your way.

And like you posted on another thread US is gearing up for an Eastern Airlines Bankruptcy (guess you forget eastern liquidated and Lorenzo wa removed and banned from the airline industry), but hey once again, don't let the facts get in your way.

And where has almost $4 billion in concessions gone all ready?

To refresh your memory once again read below:

Levine also went over all the procedures and steps in the bankruptcy codes. One item she covered in depth is the 1113 letter, which refers to the section of code that ensures that a company negotiates with the union before they seek abrogation of the labor agreement. When a company seeks protection, the agreement remains in effect. When a union negotiates an 1113 letter it secures an agreement with the company showing that the company will not seek further cuts from labor. To this date, no company that has had an 1113 letter negotiated has ever asked the court to abrogate it.

Companies that request abrogation of the labor agreement but it must meet the following nine (9) distinct requirements:

1. The debtor in possession must have made a proposal to the union.
2. The proposal must be based upon the most complete and reliable information available at the time of the proposal.
3. The modification must be necessary to permit reorganization.
4. The modification must provide that all affected parties be treated fairly and equitably.
5. The debtor must provide the union with such relevant information as is necessary to evaluate the proposal.
6. The debtor must have met with the collective bargaining representative at the reasonable times subsequent to making the proposal.
7. The debtor must have negotiated with the union concerning the proposal in good faith.
8. The union must have refused to accept the proposal with good cause.
9. The balance of the equities must clearly favor rejection of the agreement.

With " all due respect" usa320pilot, I'm beginning to side with 700UW when he has repeatedly asked you what this "painful clause" is. Why keep it a secret? Surely you would rather the IAM know what this is so that they might change their mind about concessions and make the surviveability prospects a lot easier.......?

700UW:

I understand the process, but Bruce Lakefield and David Bronner have let it be known to every union they will get "whacked" if they do not participate in the "Transformation Plan" and the new market realities. With all due repsect, get ready my friend...

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Jwp767:

When I am told something in confidence I will not destroy that person's trust. To do so would violate their trust and then I would not have integrity.

In regard to the IAM, they will likely soon find out if 700UW's sentiment is that of the majority. Jerry Glass is an experienced negotiator and David Brooner is not dumb, they know what they're doing.

It's up to the mechanics and they have a choice, just like every other labor group. The message is simple: Strike a deal and if you do not, we will enter bankruptcy and dependent upon the situation, either seek to abrogate (gut) your contract or liquidate.

That news was given directly to all of the unions last week.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
I understand the process, but Bruce Lakefield and David Bronner have let it be known to every union they will get "whacked" if they do not participate in the "Transformation Plan" and the new market realities. With all due repsect, get ready my friend...
Respectfully,
USA320Pilot
Then so be it and let the IAM members make their OWN choice and stop posting false information and idle threats, we are all adults and we can make our own decisions in life and have to live with the ramifications, all you do by posting your scare tactics is make IAM members more adamant in saying NO once again.

There is life beyond US Airways, no one in the IAM wants to see it go out of business, but with Bronner's plan they do not want a maintenance department and they want to gut the retiree's benefits, those people are on fixed incomes and we have what we have because they fought the good fight and laid the path for us, we should not abandon them and hurt them like UAL is trying to do at this moment.

By the way, it is several months, still waiting for the "painful" clause!

You are so full of it, yep more cockpit chronicles with Jerry? Like they are gonna tell a line pilot (regular employee) their devious scams to attack labor.

Sounds like the SEC and Elliot Spitzer needs to know about you or the 1-800-usratline.

If jerry is such a great negotiator why has what they negotiated not worked?

And if he so great why did they not get what they say they really needed?

The reality is there is NO "painful" clause in the IAM Mechanic and Related Contract and a320 was exposed for posting fraudulent facts and he can't admit to the board he was just trying to scare and intimidate, his modus operandi for years on the boards.

And don't worry about the IAM, it seems you are obsessed with the IAM actually standing up for its members and not cowering in fear like yourself and your union.

Scared we might impact that $200,000 a year income and benefits you posted that you enjoy?

Let the IAM members make their own decisions and stay out of it, because you will never learn that we don't believe chicken little when he says the sky is falling.

Let Bronner tell Johnny O to start flying 737, A320, 757/767 and A330s and violate your contract and them come back and tell me how you feel?

I mean you were Dave's # 1 fan,they they terminated your pension and you hated him, told everyone to shut the company down and you were gonna take a foreign flying job, then you are Dave and now Brucie's #1 town crier trying to spread their work, guess you don't even have the INTESTINAL FORTITUDE to back up and do the things you spout!

OK........let's say the "painful clause" gets rid of the IAM. Can the company survive this chaos period of transformation to a purported "plan B" when they are presently in a death spiral to liquidation?

I just don't see how there is enough time left to be able to logistically make an alternate plan work that does not include the mechanics.

Or are you really saying that liquidation IS the plan and a white knight is waiting to pick up the pieces...and some of the employees....but definitely no one from the IAM?

I have a question and a comment. Is there any evidence that U will be profitable or the CASMs will come down even if U are forced into AWA wages and work rules? Is it not true, that the structural anomolies of UAIR are still there? Management has yet to address these issues...and could have at any time over the past years. What good will AWA type contracts do if it only lowers the CASMs a penny or two? I guess you keep your job a little longer? Then you hope things will turn around?

Ah, yes, hope. You always sell your prospect on hope to reel them in. It appears to me you are being high pressure sold on something. JMHO

USA320Pilot said:
Jwp767:

When I am told something in confidence I will not destroy that person's trust. To do so would violate their trust and then I would not have integrity.
:lol:

in·teg·ri·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-tgr-t)
n.
Steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code.
The state of being unimpaired; soundness.
The quality or condition of being whole or undivided; completeness.

700:

I hope the IAM membership does vote down changes
to their contract. Then, we won't have to ready any
more of the rhetoric that is being put on these
boards by the union militants because they will no
longer be employed by US Airways. I really can't
wait for the day the militant IAMers are thrown off
the property because they will have no one to
blame but themselves.