AirTran Airways Expands Baltimore/Washington Market With Nonstop Service to/from Detroit and Milwauk

Paul

Veteran
Nov 15, 2005
AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI), today announced the airline will expand its route map from Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport by adding new nonstop flights to Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport. The nonstop daily flights to and from Detroit will begin May 25, 2006, and will be served by the airline's popular Boeing 717 aircraft.

Additionally, the airline will begin seasonal service from Milwaukee's General Mitchell International Airport from May 25, 2006, through September 5, 2006. With the new service, AirTran Airways now serves 14 cities from Baltimore/Washington with 41 daily flights.

"AirTran Airways continues to pursue opportunities to expand our network in key business markets across the country," said Kevin Healy, AirTran Airways vice president of planning. "This new service connects these popular markets with convenient schedules designed to meet the needs of the business traveler and fare structures that will also stimulate leisure demand. Our airline is celebrated for great service at a great price, while offering amenities such as assigned seating, XM Satellite Radio and affordable business class on every flight."

Code:
		   Nonstop Service between Baltimore/Washington and Detroit

From				   To				 Departs	Arrives   Frequency
	Baltimore/Washington   Detroit			7:30 a.m.  9:05 a.m. Daily
	Baltimore/Washington   Detroit			11:50 a.m. 1:25 p.m. Daily
	Baltimore/Washington   Detroit			4:20 p.m.  5:55 p.m. Daily

From			   To					 Departs   Arrives	Frequency
	Detroit			Baltimore/Washington   9:35 a.m. 11:05 a.m. Daily
	Detroit			Baltimore/Washington   2:00 p.m. 3:30 p.m.  Daily
	Detroit			Baltimore/Washington   5:35 p.m. 7:05 p.m.  Daily

AirTran Airways will offer the following nonstop flight options to/from
General Mitchell International Airport and Baltimore/Washington International
Thurgood Marshall Airport, effective May 25, 2006:

Nonstop Service between Baltimore/Washington and Milwaukee

From				   To				 Departs	Arrives	Frequency
	Baltimore/Washington   Milwaukee		  10:44 a.m. 11:44 a.m. Daily
	Baltimore/Washington   Milwaukee		  7:45 p.m.  8:45 p.m.  Daily

From			  To					 Departs   Arrives	Frequency
	Milwaukee		 Baltimore/Washington   7:45 a.m. 10:30 a.m. Daily
	Milwaukee		 Baltimore/Washington   5:45 p.m. 8:30 p.m.  Daily

PR Newswire

Good for AirTran.

The first thing I thought of was, this is an opportunity that folks have asked us for, for years, ie: Why doesn't SWA fly east out of DTW??

NWA's response will be educational.

I do not think that NWA will respond if AAI stays down at 2 and 3 flights per day on these routes. IF they grow past that, DUCK! NWA has to get rid of some planes and will be strectching their fleet so I don't think we will see a response right now. I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again........

I do not think that NWA will respond if AAI stays down at 2 and 3 flights per day on these routes. IF they grow past that, DUCK! NWA has to get rid of some planes and will be strectching their fleet so I don't think we will see a response right now. I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again........
My bet is, NW jumps all over it like they did when FL started service from CAK-LAS & FNT-LAS. Just my hunch.... and I'm usually wrong B)

I think AAI also did a great job of staying away from SWA also. I know they go head-to-head on some routes, but I think it is great to see more routes with no SWA competition for AAI's bottom line. This way AAI can dictate the prices. just my thoughts.......