AirTran going Airbus???

Emirates give 3bn euro jumbo lift to Airbus
Oliver Morgan, industrial editor
Sunday February 23, 2003
The Observer
Dubai airline Emirates is set to confirm an order worth up to 3 billion euros for at least 10 Airbus A380 'superjumbo' aircraft, significantly boosting the Anglo-European plane maker in its flagship project.
Airbus, based in Toulouse, is also soon to announce a further push into the low-cost market fulfilling an order from US budget carrier AirTran for between 50 and 60 short-haul A320 planes.
http://www.observer.co.uk/business/story/0...,900855,00.html

ITRADE, unfortunately Boeing has not made the 300 series and considering todays market i don't think they will.

If Boeing lets this order slip... it will be a big mistake. There is concern in Seattle about some big production lines, the B757 and B767s. I would have to think, with a substantial enough order, Boeing should be willing to build a B717-300. Maybe AirTran just doesn't want enough of them?

Of course, Boeing could give them a 737NG deal to keep them too... If they are won't make the 717-300, then AirTran gets to buy what they feel is the best plane for the money...

The latest from the rumor control office is, Airbus is offering to include in the deal a refinance of the major outstanding portion of AirTran's debt at much lower rates than they have been able to secure stateside. This includes the 717 debt.

With Delta starting to look for a 100 seat aircraft, AirTran goig with Airbus may be all that incentive Boeing needs to cut a sweatheart deal with Delta. Delta is already making plans to deal with JB and AT, and if Boeing decides to give them some help with financing aircraft, Delta would get a head start with their plans.

Why would DAL need to BUY airplanes? They seem to have plenty of 737's sitting around the desert. I would think using the airplanes you own (lease) would be cheaper. I do not expect a new DAL order anytime soon.

It was reported that DL is looking for an aircraft to replace older 737-200 aircraft now being sent back to mainline. The airline says that although an order will not be placed for between 1 and tow years, it is looking and airbus is an option, although thats probably jst to scare boing, but hey US airways, United and Northwest all said they were looking at airbus planes and look what happened to them

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/26/2003 1:17:35 PM PLANES333 wrote:

It was reported that DL is looking for an aircraft to replace older 737-200 aircraft now being sent back to mainline. The airline says that although an order will not be placed for between 1 and tow years, it is looking and airbus is an option, although thats probably jst to scare boing, but hey US airways, United and Northwest all said they were looking at airbus planes and look what happened to them
----------------
[/blockquote]

Interesting... I wonder why they bother to fly the -200s and park the -300's. Maybe its pointless to get the better CASM of the -300 (a few more seats + fuel effieciency = lower CASM) if there is no demand to fill 'em. I would have to think an order is more than a year away in the current industry environment... Until the industry improves, they can just replace them with the 70 seat RJ's (not a popular choice, but these aircraft are already coming anyway).

~thread drift warning horn sounds~

PULL UP
PULL UP
PULL UP

Anyhoo... Another factor dooming the 717-300 is that Boeing is nowhere near production with the aircraft. If Boeing were to commit to the aircraft today, and AirTran signed an order today, it would still take much longer than AirTran would like to get the planes in service. FL wants to capitalize on the opportunities the current market is offering.

I've heard it said that AirTran is looking at the 737-700 and the A319 because the pilot pay rates are somehow already covered in the current contract. If they go to a 320 or -800, they would have to negotiate the pay rate.

Joe Leonard has said that FL needs a plane in the 140 seat range. Personally, I'm hoping for the 319. But thats just my personal pref. I hope the company decides to buy the plane that they can make the most money with the fastest!

Yeah, there appears to have been some confusion or panic by someone enough to warrant a story:

[a href="http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=businessNews&storyID=2333381"]Click for story[/a]

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Discount carrier AirTran Airways said on Wednesday its temporary use of Airbus SAS EAD.DE EAD.PA jets on new routes did not signal a switch from its current all-Boeing Co. BA.N fleet, at least not yet.

The AirTran Holdings Inc. AAI.N unit has said it will order up to 100 new jets this summer, taking proposals from both manufacturers and opening a window for Airbus to move in on an exclusive Boeing customer.

When it announced new West Coast flights from its Atlanta hub this week, AirTran said it would serve Las Vegas and Los Angeles with two Airbus A320 narrow-body jets for one year because its growing fleet of Boeing 717s has insufficient range.

"That decision has nothing to do with the RFPs (request for proposals) to Boeing and Airbus for longer-range aircraft," said AirTran spokesman Tad Hutcheson.

Well, It's been more than a week and no announcement. I wonder if some confusion was created over the Ryan International wet lease of A320'S for ATL to LAX,LAS service?

That is what the press release states but consider this.

FL had a few carriers with which to choose subservice, they went with the Airbus carrier. In doing so they are able to work an Airbus on their system, and see how economical it can be. Also, it will give the rampies, gate agents and FA's all training on the aircraft. If Joe chooses the 'bus down the road he will already have everyone in the company trained on it (except the pilots). Either that is a LOT of pressure to put on Boeing, or FL maybe grownig tired of their foot draging (on the 717-300) and are leaning toward Airbus.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/10/2003 9:17:00 AM citrusflyer wrote:

That is what the press release states but consider this.

FL had a few carriers with which to choose subservice, they went with the Airbus carrier. In doing so they are able to work an Airbus on their system, and see how economical it can be. Also, it will give the rampies, gate agents and FA's all training on the aircraft. If Joe chooses the 'bus down the road he will already have everyone in the company trained on it (except the pilots). Either that is a LOT of pressure to put on Boeing, or FL maybe grownig tired of their foot draging (on the 717-300) and are leaning toward Airbus.
----------------
[/blockquote]
Not really, I understand it that Ryan Employees will be flying the a/c just under the AirTran name. Who really knows except the people in Orlando. Personally I hope they stick with Boeing or my business travel gets pulled completely from them and moved over to Delta or American.