AirTran pilot layoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any information about the layoffs, specifically the pilots? I heard they didn't get enough Voluntary leaves and they ended up having to cut quite a few pilots.

Are they saying how long for? How long can you be on Furlough before you get called back? Can you still fly?

I am not an Air Tran employee and this side of the board stays pretty quiet, but I have a close friend who was affected and it makes me curious to see what is going on - - it is sad to see this industry in dire straits but it breaks my heart when people I love are left basically optionless.

To anyone who lost their job, especially the pilots who have put so much into their education and training, I know my compassion isn't much to offer, but you have all of it. Best of luck to you, I really, really hope things turn around for you.

Does anyone have any information about the layoffs, specifically the pilots? I heard they didn't get enough Voluntary leaves and they ended up having to cut quite a few pilots.

Are they saying how long for? How long can you be on Furlough before you get called back? Can you still fly?

I am not an Air Tran employee and this side of the board stays pretty quiet, but I have a close friend who was affected and it makes me curious to see what is going on - - it is sad to see this industry in dire straits but it breaks my heart when people I love are left basically optionless.

To anyone who lost their job, especially the pilots who have put so much into their education and training, I know my compassion isn't much to offer, but you have all of it. Best of luck to you, I really, really hope things turn around for you.
Last number I heard was 177 pilots (out of about 1700) will be furloughed/taking a voluntary LOA. Not sure how many of the 177 are involuntary. Length of time will probably be until the first part of 2010, when we'll restart delivery of new aircraft. Our contract dictates the rules pertaining to furloughs, and I left my copy of it in my flt. bag. It lists all rights that furloughed pilots have, and each section usually contains the phrase "whenever possible...", or "at the discretion of the company...", or "when operations allow...". :rolleyes:

Thanks for your thoughts and concerns. It's my belief that we all will get through this (only to do it again, at some future date, for the same or a different reason, like we always do every so often).

Status
Not open for further replies.