Airtran to slash workers pay...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pay cut is not voluntary and it is what it is whether I like it or not. Not many choices out there now so I shove in my REO Speedwagon tape and play 'Ridin' the Storm Out'! Layta!!! <_<
I hear ya. I only hope that when we're done "ridin' the storm out", our "top mgmt." hasn't created too much ill will, by keeping their $, and we've still got some good folks left. :huh:

He said that when one of their union higher-ups spoke with our Senior VP of Ops., the VP was asked if upper mgmt. would be keeping their bonuses in light of labor job cuts, pay cuts, capacity reduction, etc. The VP's reply was, "Damn right we're keeping them. We're the best mgmt. team in the industry". :lol:
I wonder what his severance package looks like. If an exec has the cojones to say that, If I were you, I'd excuse myself from the cockpit and tell that "best damn management" team to get this plane to Orlando because this person who wasn't worth keeping their salary is not going to fly it. I'd tell that "best damn managment team" that while they are at it, they can serve drinks in the cabin, because the FA's who had to take a pay cut weren't going either. And I'd tell that "best damn management team" that when they got to Orlando, they need to scurry down those stairs and unload the baggage that the rampers who took the pay cut aren't there to do.

So far, it just seems like LUV management even has a clue that if it weren't for those folks that the public has an interaction with every day, they wouldn't be the "best damn management team". Period. Herb Kelleher said over and over again that if it weren't for his employees, his airline would be nothing. I wonder...what does Airtran's annual shareholders report look like. The ONE thing that stood out for me when I got the LUV report was that within the first sentence, credit was given to the employees. Not what a great job "the best damn management team" had done. If I were that mechanic, and that pompous a-hole would have thrown that "best damn management team" line out, I would have looked him in the eye and asked when he went to work for Southwest.

KC

Well said. However, when it comes to accolades, our mgmt. team is real quick to throw them out. If you look at press releases regarding traffic for the month or quarter, earnings statements, and on time/baggage/customer complaints statistics, we "team members" are constantly given the credit "for a job well done...blah, blah, blah."

What separates LUV's mgmt. team from ours (and others) is that LUV mgmt. doesn't expect their employees to pay mortgages, car payments, etc. with the compliments showered upon them. LUV is obviously in a better financial position, but I'll never entertain the argument (that some of our mgmt. might put out) that its only because of LUV's fuel hedges that their mgmt. isn't treating their employees like ignorant pieces of crap. Or put another way, AirTran mgmt. must ask it's employees for pay cuts, while keeping their own bonuses, since we're not hedged as well as LUV.

If I were to approach fuel conservation like our mgmt. is approaching employee relations, I would fly at Mach .82 with the spoilers fully deployed, burning 6000# of fuel per side (as opposed to the normal 2250#), while saying, "Golly gee, we've got the best damn mgmt. team in the industry". Using our mgmt.'s logic, our fuel consumption would drop like a rock.

I have to wonder if the "Best Mgmt Team in the Industry" quote is hearsay or truth. Knowing how some can twist words to make a story I wonder what was said, word for word, and by exactly whom... With the new re-structuring of Mgmt, it could be 'SkyKing' or Perry Mason? If it is true, very crass IMO. If not, Union bellowing to stir the pot. Knowing a few of the Union Dudes, that wouldn't come as a surprise either. Time to go fill some more sand bags so I can 'Ride the Storm out'.... Dang REO is getting old already! :ph34r:

I have to wonder if the "Best Mgmt Team in the Industry" quote is hearsay or truth. Knowing how some can twist words to make a story I wonder what was said, word for word, and by exactly whom... With the new re-structuring of Mgmt, it could be 'SkyKing' or Perry Mason? If it is true, very crass IMO. If not, Union bellowing to stir the pot. Knowing a few of the Union Dudes, that wouldn't come as a surprise either. Time to go fill some more sand bags so I can 'Ride the Storm out'.... Dang REO is getting old already! :ph34r:
I understand your point QA, and maybe we'll never know. But for me, it doesn't matter whether it was said or not. Actions speak louder than words. The action of mgmt. using one of their hands to collect my pay cut while using their other hand to protect what's in their own pockets speaks volumes.

How 'bout some Beastie Boys or The Clash? You won't be able to think about anything after one of them. :shock:

I understand your point QA, and maybe we'll never know. But for me, it doesn't matter whether it was said or not. Actions speak louder than words. The action of mgmt. using one of their hands to collect my pay cut while using their other hand to protect what's in their own pockets speaks volumes.

How 'bout some Beastie Boys or The Clash? You won't be able to think about anything after one of them. :shock:
Anything but Rap!!! Please! :lol:
BTW, We are having a meeting tomorrow morning on the latest updates.... I'll keep you posted if worthy.

Airtran has about 9000 employees. Assume the CEO's pay went to zero from $500K, retroactive to the beginning of the yar. Heck, let's take next years salary, too, because CEO's are heartless bastards.

That comes out to about $110 per employee.... Somehow, I don't think that alone is going to save the company.

Airtran has about 9000 employees. Assume the CEO's pay went to zero from $500K, retroactive to the beginning of the yar. Heck, let's take next years salary, too, because CEO's are heartless bastards.

That comes out to about $110 per employee.... Somehow, I don't think that alone is going to save the company.
Don't recall anyone saying mgmt. foregoing bonuses would save the company; just said it was wrong for them to keep them while asking for labor pay cuts, furloughing, etc.

Reducing capacity, by itself (without cutting costs, deferring deliveries of new aircraft, cutting unprofitable routes entirely, etc.) won't save any airline. So, using your logic, no one should reduce capacity. :blink:

What's going to save yours? :ph34r:

It's a concept that management these days does not grasp. A gesture...a simple gesture...that would show the employees that you really ARE in this together. I don't think that anybody was saying management should forgo any pay, only that it's much easier to take an 11% cut just after you got an 80% increase.

It's a concept that management these days does not grasp. A gesture...a simple gesture...that would show the employees that you really ARE in this together. I don't think that anybody was saying management should forgo any pay, only that it's much easier to take an 11% cut just after you got an 80% increase.
KC.... very valid points. IIRC, the Senior Mgmt are taking 15% cuts which, after an 80% raise, I doubt will cramp their/his style. The bonus issue may be another story. If the company performance shows weak, if not horrible, which it probably will, their bonuses should take a hit as well, IMHO. I just hope all of us in this crazy industry will get through this but, as we know, some are being 'Kicked to the curb' already. These are very trying times and I wish the best to everyone.
I do have faith in our CEO that he will try make the right calls as we navigate through this storm but, he doesn't have a crystal ball either.

Airtran is done. You will be Going out of business in the next 6 months. I wish you the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts