airtran tops TPG offer

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
AirTran Holdings Inc. said Tuesday it raised its offer to buy rival Midwest Air Group Inc. to $16.25 a share, or about $445 million overall, exceeding the value of a buyout deal accepted by Midwest at the weekend.

The move comes in response to requests from Midwest shareholders, said AirTran, which has been pursuing Midwest for several months. Two institutional shareholders have publicly encouraged Midwest to do a deal with AirTran, despite the objections of Midwest's management.

On Sunday, Midwest accepted a $16 per share buyout offer from private equity firm TPG Capital, backed by Northwest Airlines Corp.

story here

Clearly FL sees some sort of potential snag with the TPG deal. The TPG deal has been announced and I suspect that there would have to be something wrong for the YX board to back away now. That said, I doube FL would go through this exercise if they didn't see at least a small chance of success.

Clearly FL sees some sort of potential snag with the TPG deal. The TPG deal has been announced and I suspect that there would have to be something wrong for the YX board to back away now. That said, I doube FL would go through this exercise if they didn't see at least a small chance of success.
IIRC, the Shareholders have to accept the deal and this may sweeten the pot. That said, I'm sure the other bidder will up again as well

Midwest Employees should start a "Just Say No To Forklift Joe" campaign. Similar to what DL employees did.

I remember hearing something about this idiot 'joe' years ago, using a fork lift to install an engine or something? I believe it resulted in a number of deaths when the engine fell off during flight.

Is this the same FORKLIFT JOE??? If so, WHY is he running an airline?

As loathsome as a toad my dear citrus jock, it would appear you opened your pie hole a wee bit too soon. Now would somebody please tell that fool forklift Joe to stop begging Midwest and go make themselves another hub the old fashioned way, namely via hard work.

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews...20070817?rpc=44
Congrats on the "unwadding". My comments were directed towards the way your underwear seems to creep when deadlines are extended, or when things that seem final turn out not to be. Your last post implied that AirTran's acquisition attempts were over, therefore my pie hole spoke a timely truth. I've been against this deal all along, so if this is indeed the end, then I'm satisfied with the outcome (and we can quit talking about pies and holes). I'm sorry I can't say the same for people like you and Pine tree boob. Judging from both of your comments, your satisfaction appears to hinge on someone else being unhappy. Perhaps you noticed in previous posts that when I talked about my opposition to this deal, I was able to do so without name-calling, disparaging others, etc. (I did just call Pineybob "Pine tree boob", but only because he called Joe Leonard "fork-lift joe" :p ). I even referred to Midwest as being a top-notch airline based on the many comments I've heard about them. Your hatred for one man prevents you from doing the same, and that's sad. How long will your happiness with AirTran's failure to acquire Midwest last? Will you need another failed merger attempt to ever be happy again? That's a sorry way to live, but ultimately your choice.

Just because i was against forklift Joe and his failed hostile takeover attempt of another carrier doesn't make me an unhappy person. In fact, i'm downright giddy now that Midwest has told Airtran to go piss in the wind for the umpteenth time. Cheerios :up:

Just because i was against forklift Joe and his failed hostile takeover attempt of another carrier doesn't make me an unhappy person. In fact, i'm downright giddy now that Midwest has told Airtran to go piss in the wind for the umpteenth time. Cheerios :up:
Just read on our website that we made another offer for Midwest, this time for $25 mil. more...just kidding. :lol: I never said that I thought you're an unhappy person because you're against somebody or something; I said it's the way that you choose to state your position that's sad. You and I are both against AirTran acquiring Midwest. I'm able to communicate my position without resorting to adolescent name-calling; you're not. My happiness isn't based on what others can't/don't do; your's is. Your attitude is what took the best airline in the world (Delta) and made it mediocre. When your efforts are mostly focused on what others are doing, instead of being focused on doing what you yourself are doing, things go bad quickly. If AirTran went out of business tomorrow, you'd probably be "downright giddy" again. But Delta would still be mediocre. If Delta went out of business tomorrow, I'd feel sorry for all the Delta employees and passengers affected. You'd let your hatred for one person overshadow the compassion due others that you don't hate. Peace.

Just read on our website that we made another offer for Midwest, this time for $25 mil. more...just kidding. :lol: I never said that I thought you're an unhappy person because you're against somebody or something; I said it's the way that you choose to state your position that's sad. You and I are both against AirTran acquiring Midwest. I'm able to communicate my position without resorting to adolescent name-calling; you're not. My happiness isn't based on what others can't/don't do; your's is. Your attitude is what took the best airline in the world (Delta) and made it mediocre. When your efforts are mostly focused on what others are doing, instead of being focused on doing what you yourself are doing, things go bad quickly. If AirTran went out of business tomorrow, you'd probably be "downright giddy" again. But Delta would still be mediocre. If Delta went out of business tomorrow, I'd feel sorry for all the Delta employees and passengers affected. You'd let your hatred for one person overshadow the compassion due others you don't hate. Peace.

Please spare me your preaching, i have my pastor for that. I must say however, i love the way you word your backhanded compliments, quite clever. Sort of a kill them with kindness mentality, in an attempt to make you seem above it all. Yes, i did single-handedly cause Delta to become the "mediocre" carrier it is today, please accept my sincerest of apologies. As you said, however, at the end of the day Airtran will have no part of Midwest, which we both seem to agree was the possible outcome.

Please spare me your preaching, i have my pastor for that. I must say however, i love the way you word your backhanded compliments, quite clever. Sort of a kill them with kindness mentality, in an attempt to make you seem above it all. Yes, i did single-handedly cause Delta to become the "mediocre" carrier it is today, please accept my sincerest of apologies. As you said, however, at the end of the day Airtran will have no part of Midwest, which we both seem to agree was the possible outcome.
Preaching? Nah, just opining. Clever? Yes, and good-looking to boot. Above it all? Not really. I just come on here and post my thoughts and opinions, interjected with my form of humor (see "good-looking to boot" above). My first choice is to converse with those who want to exchange thoughts or to debate. There are those who choose to call someone else names or sling mud, and I occasionally choose to jump in the pig trough with them. I simply found you interesting due to your hypocrisy concerning deadlines. I didn't realize that it was really an anger/hatred issue. You should see your preacher about that. I'm amused at the indignation shown by some when they get a dose of their own medicine. Single-handedly caused Delta to become mediocre? Not even you could do that on your own.

Hopefully this is the last we hear of Forklift Joe.

It's my fondest wish that TPG's investment pays off for them and the Midwest's unique business model propels them to more growth.

Hey Joe where going with that gun in your hand?
He's on his way to your house, boob. :mf_boff:

Preaching? Nah, just opining. Clever? Yes, and good-looking to boot. Above it all? Not really. I just come on here and post my thoughts and opinions, interjected with my form of humor (see "good-looking to boot" above). My first choice is to converse with those who want to exchange thoughts or to debate. There are those who choose to call someone else names or sling mud, and I occasionally choose to jump in the pig trough with them. I simply found you interesting due to your hypocrisy concerning deadlines. I didn't realize that it was really an anger/hatred issue. You should see your preacher about that. I'm amused at the indignation shown by some when they get a dose of their own medicine. Single-handedly caused Delta to become mediocre? Not even you could do that on your own.

You sound like a cross between Bill O'Reilly and Paris Hilton. You love to opine and your "good-looking to boot", not that i asked. I especially like the comment about the pig jumping into the trough, another one of your well-timed back-handed compliments. Silly me, you never "sling mud". Not only are you egotistical, your narcissistic as well, helluva combination.

As for you calling me hypocritical with regards to deadlines, please refresh my memory. When DAL entered bankruptcy, we, the employees were told all the t's had been crossed and the i's dotted. We would be out of Ch. 11 in no time, but alas, it was not to be. Was i happy about it, no, the extra time in court was essentially to exert more concessions from the creditors. Not a proud moment for the company but necessary considering the precarious position we were faced with.

Actually - how giddy would you be when all the dust settles and it turns out that being turned down by Midwest makes Airtran stronger? Can anybody show me ANY airline merger where things actually made both airlines better?

You sound like a cross between Bill O'Reilly and Paris Hilton. You love to opine and your "good-looking to boot", not that i asked. I especially like the comment about the pig jumping into the trough, another one of your well-timed back-handed compliments. Silly me, you never "sling mud". Not only are you egotistical, your narcissistic as well, helluva combination.

As for you calling me hypocritical with regards to deadlines, please refresh my memory. When DAL entered bankruptcy, we, the employees were told all the t's had been crossed and the i's dotted. We would be out of Ch. 11 in no time, but alas, it was not to be. Was i happy about it, no, the extra time in court was essentially to exert more concessions from the creditors. Not a proud moment for the company but necessary considering the precarious position we were faced with.
I didn't say I never sling mud. I "sling" only at those who have also done so (my pig trough analogy, remember?). I'm able to converse without slinging mud with those who choose not to sling mud. Again, I'm amused at the reaction of those that have mud on their hands, when they find some on their face. If you had said you don't like the guy, and here's why, we could have kept it on that level (and for a time, that's what happened). If you remember, when you told me why you don't like Leonard, and I told you why I thought your argument was wrong, it was kept at that level. When you started calling names, then we started talking about personalities. But, we can talk about whatever you want.

As for refreshing your memory: I agree that while in bankruptcy, the deadlines that Delta missed were so Delta could benefit from the entire process. That's what your leaders felt was a wise business decision, and it's their job to make those. While trying to acquire Midwest, AirTran set, and then exceeded deadlines, to benefit from what our leaders felt was a wise business decision. You were vocal about AirTran's missed deadlines, while I don't recall any comment about Delta's missed deadlines. Would you have preferred that Delta honor all of its deadlines, exhibiting "pride", while emerging a less successful company? Of course not. But you do think that AirTran should be embarassed for extending deadlines for doing the exact same thing: making decisions based on what's best for the company. Thus, your hypocrisy.

If you had originally said, "I hate fork-lift Joe, I hate fork-lift Joe, I hate fork-lift Joe", while holding your breath and stomping your feet, it would have saved us both a lot of time (aw...there I go again, being clever :rolleyes: ).