AirTran''s negotations with Flight Attendant''s is proceeding very slow

N464AT

Aug 22, 2002
www.usaviation.com
The current 4-year agreement was up for ammendment last Ocyober 2002 and items on the table are a little more than half done as to agreements signed. Negotations are proceeding slowly with big items such as pay, per-diem and hours of service still open. The company has been proposing some real wacky items such as a limited term contract for new hires that would end their employment after a term of years with a seperation bonus. Is there anything like that out there in the business?
It might be very optimistic that a new contract would be up for vote by this October.
Lately management has been hinting that the pilot group pay rates are in line with the rest of the industry, which I don''t agree. It sounds as though they are trying to reduce labor costs, at the same time they are announcing a 72% load factor for the month of May. It''s a bit puzzling.

I think they are trying to do what Jetblue does and what Song is doing as far as compensation for a period of time and then buy out your contract so to speak. I hope you guys don''t go for that.

I understand term contracts are common in Europe. I''m not familiar enough to know how well they work/don''t work for the employee.

It''s an interesting concept. Say the term is for three years. Most flight attendants I know went through a morale "slump" about then. The excitement wears off, the routine gets old, people start to get on ones nerves. Amazing how the little things can really bug you. Like how someone doesn''t know how they take their coffee. "Cream or Sugar?" Blank stare. Why that used to drive me nuts, I don''t know but it did! Now I''ve figured out it''s the lack of oxygen.

It could work out well if the pay-out is good enough. Maybe 5 years of passes or a lump sum of a reasonable amount. It could move up the stagnant seniority list. Perhaps if it was offered as choice to be made by the employee at the end of the three years, it could be a good thing.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I recieved some more information reguarding this, The company''s idea of a seperation bonus in $1000.00 per year served. Almost all flight attendants I have spoken with give a big thumbs down for the concept altogether. Most want to make this a long term career. The very few that showed any interest said that they would only consider for something like a year or two''s worth of pay up front ($65.000.00 +), very far apart from what the company has been thinking. I don''t think it''s going to go anywhere.

It''s a way to keep costs down. That way, they can just stop pay scale at five year level and keep new hires with first year pay around. Sad to say, and I hope it''s not the wave of the future. But, what they could do, is use contracts for fas furloughed from other airlines.Song is using that with their fas from mainline Delta. After a few years, you can go back to Delta and that''s it. I know the contract thing is a norm with Singapore Airlines and some other Asian carriers, in particular with stewardessess. Very few stewardesses fly past the age of 37 with SIA, and only 10% of the stewardess corp have their contracts renewed.But, the boys can fly up to their forties. Very unfair but that''s how they keep the Singapore Girl ad campaign going, plus, it''s something prestigious to have on your resume that you were an ex-Singapore Girl. It may not work in the US! What do you think?

If you listen to the negotitians hotline(dated June9th) they seem to be back on track. I guess the company proposed it but the union shot it down. Good deal. Its getting close. 90% contract is done. The meat and potatoe is all that is left. Compensation and work rules(the hard part)!!

Contract work is fine for some, but I want a career! It seems like many of the airlines are looking for ways to make that less and less of a possiblity for their front line employees.

It irks me to no end that a bunch of money hungry execs have collectively decided that this should no longer be a decent paying job.

Good luck with your negotiations!