Alabama's Us Airways Investment Up In Air

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Bronner left open the possibility that if US Airways does come up with sufficient cost cuts, then the pension system, which has a 36.2 percent stake in the company, might invest more money in the second reorganization.

Complete Story

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

I haven't read the article yet, but I say get Bronner the hell out and have the labor leaders approach TPG with serious discussions of making a DIP bid in exchange for meaningful and reasonable concessions to bring this airline back from the edge of oblivion.

Well her is the last sentence in the article.....

"In order to compete, we've got to have lower wages," Bronner said. "That's the key to our survival."

Carrot and the Stick...

Stick is going to be the main theme in the near future. But soon IMO it will be "carrot time" to entice concessions rather than force.

But, be warned, the carrot will only be growth, and the benefits that come from it, bet me...

You like predictions, I have one...

One of the mentioned parts of the transformation plan was growth into widebody, long distance, international flying... Make due (for now) with current fleet types, but a few years (after a successful reorganization) I bet they plan to be one of the first US carriers to introduce the brand new 7E7...

Would not be avail. until 09, but this is exactly the sort of thing that would grab the attention of labor, investors, and Judge Mitchell...

Gotta have a carrot to make this plan work. EMB-190 growth is not it, Airbus growth will help sway a few votes, but only something like this will really ungrunt the disgruntled.

but in order to get the 7e7, usair will have to make amends with the boeing as currently they dont get along, at least that is how i understand it to be. i thin that may be the b-767-400 would eb good but i dont know

Yeah, it is all about warm fuzzy hugs and campfire songs... :rolleyes:

IF US Airways is amoung the first domestic carriers in financial shape to, have financing for, and a market to operate the 7E7 in..., Boeing would act like a long lost friend to US Airways in a heartbeat.

My idea was to be the first to predict the possibility of the 7E7 at "Airways III".

My point is that all "Doom and Gloom" will not work for anyone involved with Airways (employees, investors, creditors). There must be some reason for people to look to the future, to hold out hope, and to fight for survival.

Growth is it.

And the 7E7 thing mirrors what CO did, coming out of their own morass to find success. They utilized their older DC-10 fleet until they were strong again. And that strength was no better symbolized than when they took delivery of their first B777.

E-170/190 and Airbus growth might be the workhorses of the new Airways B) , but the mental leverage from a tentative order for widebody growth (my guess, the 7E7 ;) ) is what will win hearts and minds... :D

Everyone has to realize, that the opportunity to fail is real, but at the same time, success remains a possibility too...

This is just business, people have been taking this whole affair way too personal, and reacting with emotion rather than clarity.

BK has arrived, Life goes on. Airways moves forward...