Alcoa Signs Agreement With American Air

ICEMAN

Jan 24, 2006
AP
Alcoa Signs Agreement With American Air
Monday July 17, 10:22 am ET
American Airlines to Provide Cargo Conversions and Maintenance Services for Alcoa

SIMI VALLEY, Calif. (AP) -- Aluminum maker Alcoa Inc. said Monday it has reached an agreement with American Airlines that will allow the airline to perform cargo conversions and maintenance on 757-200 aircraft for Alcoa's Alcoa-SIE Cargo Conversions business.
ADVERTISEMENT

Financial terms were not disclosed.

Alcoa said the addition of American Airlines Maintenance Services will significantly boost the capacity and expertise of Alcoa-SIE's 757 freighter conversion program.

Alcoa-SIE will convert aircraft in dedicated hangar bays with additional bays available for future expansion, the company said.

Alcoa officials said the agreement gives them largely unlimited capacity in terms of hangar space and brings in experienced aircraft maintenance technicians.

Officials for American said they plan to complement Alcoa-SIE's conversion process by offering a number of services including aircraft light and heavy maintenance checks, engine, component, landing gear repair and overhaul services.

Alcoa shares fell 24 cents to $30.55, while shares of AMR corp., American's parent company, rose 31 cents to $23.56, both in morning trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

The Mechanics in Tulsa that were bumped to OSM and lost their $5.00 license premium are throwing a fit that MCI is getting this work and leaving them in the cold.

First time an MCI Mechanic gets re-called and leaves these guys on the short stick will be when the AMFA cards begin to get distributed again.

Seems Tulsa TWU signed some side letter of agreement in exchange for lowering the labor rate for bidding third party contract work that provides attrition levels of appx 14 heads per month through the end of 2006.

No Recalls, No Upgrades, or the labor rate goes up for bidding on work.

And we thought the jobs were saved with the concessions. Ppffttt, we gave the jobs, the pay, the benefits, and the paid time off. We gave the farm. Or should I say, the DICTATORS have sold the farm?

Funny, I don't remember getting to vote on this side letter! :eek:

The subtitle says "more jobs," when should we expect the massive recall?

From USAToday
http://stocks.usatoday.com/custom/usatoday...C3278042D7C1%7D

SIMI VALLEY, Calif., Jul 17, 2006 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Alcoa Inc. [AA] announced today an agreement with American Airlines [AMR] to perform cargo conversions and maintenance on 757-200 aircraft for its Alcoa-SIE Cargo Conversions (ASCC) business unit. The addition of American Airlines Maintenance Services adds tremendous capacity, experience and expertise to the ASCC 757 freighter conversion program.

ASCC will have initial capacity to convert aircraft in dedicated hangar bays with additional bays available for future growth of the program. Crew training and planning between ASCC and American have been underway for months to ensure a smooth introduction of production at the facility.

"Due to the demand coming from the market for our 14Plus conversion we needed to add capacity to our program," said Gary Batey, President of ASCC. "This agreement not only gives us basically unlimited capacity in terms of hangar space, it also brings in the most experienced aircraft maintenance technicians for working the 757 airframe that can be found in the world. Combine that experience with American's expertise in process improvement and we are confident that we can deliver the most cost effective 757 cargo conversion available, on time and with the highest standards of quality in the industry."

David Campbell, Vice President Base Maintenance, said, "The signing of the agreement between American and Alcoa-SIE Cargo Conversions (ASCC)is a natural fit for American's MRO business strategy. This program is AA Maintenance Services' first step toward creating the premier cargo aircraft maintenance business in the Americas."

Campbell said American plans to complement ASCC's conversion process by offering a full range of services including, aircraft light and heavy maintenance checks, engine, component, landing gear repair and overhaul services, as well as line maintenance support. The combination of the two companies' brand recognition and reputations for providing high quality products and service offers the customer assurances no one else can match, he said.

Is this the beginning of the spin-off of maintenance?

The Mechanics in Tulsa that were bumped to OSM and lost their $5.00 license premium are throwing a fit that MCI is getting this work and leaving them in the cold.

First time an MCI Mechanic gets re-called and leaves these guys on the short stick will be when the AMFA cards begin to get distributed again.

Seems Tulsa TWU signed some side letter of agreement in exchange for lowering the labor rate for bidding third party contract work that provides attrition levels of appx 14 heads per month through the end of 2006.

And we thought the jobs were saved with the concessions. Ppffttt, we gave the jobs, the pay, the benefits, and the paid time off. We gave the farm. Or should I say, the DICTATORS have sold the farm?

And yet once again you are wrong. Do you dream these things up and then write it down, and that makes it so???? Classic, just classic.

Why don't you produce this "side letter" so that we can all see it. You don't have a clue brother.

And yet once again you are wrong. Do you dream these things up and then write it down, and that makes it so???? Classic, just classic.

Why don't you produce this "side letter" so that we can all see it. You don't have a clue brother.

Secret Side Letters are just that "SECRET", but alas and TWU Local 514 Union Officer told me this information so if anyone is clueless, it must be him.

Maybe you could embark on us exactly how many died, fired, and retired, have left and not been replaced?

<_< ---- Tell the boys in TUL not to get their panties in a wad! ALOCA hasn't had too much success finding a 757 to work on! And remember what Cambell said " "reputation for high quality work", that leaves TULSA out!!!! :p

Secret Side Letters are just that "SECRET", but alas and TWU Local 514 Union Officer told me this information so if anyone is clueless, it must be him.

Maybe you could embark on us exactly how many died, fired, and retired, have left and not been replaced?

Oh, I see, NOW it's secret. :ph34r: Sorry, but I don't know exactly how many have left and not been replaced and would question anyone else on these boards who produces a number (Amfaman) without showing proof of those numbers. But for example compare Amfaman's numbers with the number system wide.....wow what a loss! :shock:

I am dumbfounded every time I read a post that says "more work for less". Hell, 5 years ago, 1 year ago, the company was lucky to get 2-3 good works hours out of most but now that you are required to put in 8 hours of actual work you bi*ch and moan that you're overworked. Boo hoo, cry on someone elses shoulders and grow a pair. It's pathetic really.

Oh, I see, NOW it's secret. :ph34r: Sorry, but I don't know exactly how many have left and not been replaced and would question anyone else on these boards who produces a number (Amfaman) without showing proof of those numbers. But for example compare Amfaman's numbers with the number system wide.....wow what a loss! :shock:

I am dumbfounded every time I read a post that says "more work for less". Hell, 5 years ago, 1 year ago, the company was lucky to get 2-3 good works hours out of most but now that you are required to put in 8 hours of actual work you bi*ch and moan that you're overworked. Boo hoo, cry on someone elses shoulders and grow a pair. It's pathetic really.

But I thought we saved 12000 jobs and three maintenance bases with the ILC, (industry leading concessions). Now all of the sudden an additional headcount loss of over 1000 is no big deal to you.

Wipe that dried white substance from your bottom lip, it looks like you have been a little close to the corporate boss and indulging in some illegal behavior.

I didn't read anything about someone bitching about being over worked, I think the complaint is under compensated, not over worked. It is isn't the "MORE" part, it is the for "LESS" that is the problem.

You trust Carmine more than you do your own Mother or Father. And he was one the 46 recipients of the SERP and recent Management Bonuses.

You and Jerry Sowells are obviously twin brothers from different mothers. You dont have an ounce of "fight" in you, and if and when someone does provoke a fight, you will be the first across the picket line.
I remember you calling AMFA supporters "SCABS" all the while you were paying loss time and travel expenses to a SCAB to be a TWU spokesman against AMFA. WAY TO GO BILL!

Looks like you nicked yourself when you shaved your head.

Maybe you should go to the next union meeting, stand up and ask if it is true or false that there is some agreement between AA Management and TWU at the Tulsa Base regarding a certain attrition rate. Report back to us what the answer is.

You want proof, go to the retirement page on Jetnet and start counting. The number is 10% of the system number and that does not include layoffs which are over 4,000, including those TWA guys you keep forgetting about. Yeah I know, another 5 years and you can forget about them.

But I thought we saved 12000 jobs and three maintenance bases with the ILC, (industry leading concessions). Now all of the sudden an additional headcount loss of over 1000 is no big deal to you.

Wipe that dried white substance from your bottom lip, it looks like you have been a little close to the corporate boss and indulging in some illegal behavior.

I didn't read anything about someone bitching about being over worked, I think the complaint is under compensated, not over worked. It is isn't the "MORE" part, it is the for "LESS" that is the problem.

You trust Carmine more than you do your own Mother or Father. And he was one the 46 recipients of the SERP and recent Management Bonuses.

You and Jerry Sowells are obviously twin brothers from different mothers. You dont have an ounce of "fight" in you, and if and when someone does provoke a fight, you will be the first across the picket line.
I remember you calling AMFA supporters "SCABS" all the while you were paying loss time and travel expenses to a SCAB to be a TWU spokesman against AMFA. WAY TO GO BILL!

Looks like you nicked yourself when you shaved your head.
Maybe you should go to the next union meeting, stand up and ask if it is true or false that there is some agreement between AA Management and TWU at the Tulsa Base regarding a certain attrition rate. Report back to us what the answer is.

Your "debate" is no "debate at all Imformer. You have no idea how to talk rationally or maturly for that matter, to anyone when you're on the defensive. Attriton does not ruffle my feathers...never has.

I'm not buying your "more for less" crap either. You're paid to do 8 hours work....do it! Prior to concessions you were being paid for about 3-4 hours work....that's your (and disgruntled others) whole problem. You have to be accountable now, when before you weren't, so now it's boo hoo we have to do work....we're tired....we don't get an hour lunch anymore....boo hoo poor me. Do you think you are the only person who deals with sh*t in the workplace? Your idea of a fight is vigliante and distructive not only to yourself but to thousands of others. One advantage I is I know who you are and you have no clue who a I am. You think you can generalize me with others but that is your mistake. But to try to debate or even discuss anything with you is almost impossible because of your juvenile responses.

Like I said you and your buddies can't stand that what is being accomplished at AA is working. Will it pull us out of any threat of BK I don't know, it has worked so far, but the real thought of recalls right now is proof that I made the right decision. Ask your local union officer about that.

I don't like furloughs any more than the next person, but the reality is that your massive concessions saved thousands of heavy airframe overhaul jobs at TULE, MCIE and AFW, regardless of your constant reminders that some are on furlough.

How much heavy airframe maintenance is UAL still doing at IND and OAK?

How much heavy airframe maintenance is NW still doing at MSP or DTW?

DL? US? CO?

If I remember correctly, AA is all alone in its (perhaps misguided) belief that it should still employ proud American Union men and women to maintain its airplanes instead of all the foreigners and scabs employed by ALL OTHER airlines for heavy airframe maintenance.

Yes, we know that some of those fine AA mechanics have been furloughed. BTW, you weren't really expecting that AA would hire replacements for all those who retire, quit, die, or otherwise terminate their employment, did you? Attrition due to death, retirement, etc. is natural, given how much the fleet has shrunk since early 2001. Weren't there nearly 900 mainline jets on the property at the close of the TWA deal? How many now? About 670?

Even outsiders like me know that it takes fewer mechanics to maintain 670 airplanes than it did 900.

I agree that the TWU mislead you. But unlike UA, US, NW, CO, DL and all the rest, AA still employs thousands of overhaul mechanics. Including you, no?

I don't like furloughs any more than the next person, but the reality is that your massive concessions saved thousands of heavy airframe overhaul jobs at TULE, MCIE and AFW, regardless of your constant reminders that some are on furlough.

How much heavy airframe maintenance is UAL still doing at IND and OAK?

How much heavy airframe maintenance is NW still doing at MSP or DTW?

DL? US? CO?

If I remember correctly, AA is all alone in its (perhaps misguided) belief that it should still employ proud American Union men and women to maintain its airplanes instead of all the foreigners and scabs employed by ALL OTHER airlines for heavy airframe maintenance.

Yes, we know that some of those fine AA mechanics have been furloughed. BTW, you weren't really expecting that AA would hire replacements for all those who retire, quit, die, or otherwise terminate their employment, did you? Attrition due to death, retirement, etc. is natural, given how much the fleet has shrunk since early 2001. Weren't there nearly 900 mainline jets on the property at the close of the TWA deal? How many now? About 670?

Even outsiders like me know that it takes fewer mechanics to maintain 670 airplanes than it did 900.

I agree that the TWU mislead you. But unlike UA, US, NW, CO, DL and all the rest, AA still employs thousands of overhaul mechanics. Including you, no?

"Perhaps" it it is other airlines that are misguided in their beliefs that outsourcing heavy maintenance boosts the bottom line.