Alcoa Signs Agreement With American Air

Sounds like ALCOA is D.O.A. at MCI
<_< ----Mike, rumor had it that if ALCOA had got that contract, it would have gone to TUL, and we would have ended up doing what's left of the 757 winglet mods!--- But now we can concentrate on finishing the rest of the C.I.P. Aircraft!----Yes, it sure sounds like AlCOA is dead in the water!---- Hey! It's a paycheck!---- ;)

Well Ken, I certainly agree that some AA FSCs have made mistakes. On the other hand, so do mechanics. Although aircraft mechanics get it right 99.999999% of the time I can clearly remember an instance at EAL where they royally screwed up. They forgot to put the O-rings on the chip detectors on the 3 RB-211s (these are engines on the L-10-11s). During it's flight, the oil in ALL 3 engines was lost and the aircraft barely made it back to MIA on one engine. Not knocking aircraft mechanics, but they are not absolutely perfect either. I and other FSCs have spotted lav leaks, water leaks, hydraulic leaks when the system is pressurized just before pushback, and other items. I AM NOT SAYING I AM AN AMT OR TRYING TO DO HIS JOB but if I see anything on my pre push walk around I report it and they call the AMT. If the cockpit has a problem during a push, which is very very rare considering how many pushes I have done, the plane goes back to the gate and mx is called. As for the Alaska incident, they hire contractor people for rock bottom wages and the one who put the belt loader in the side of the plane either didn't know of the possible consequences or didn't care. Also, the end of the belt should not have been that high in the first place.
<_< ---- aa why don't you tell them the rest of that story?---- You know! The part where the 1011 was on approach SJU, and was given clearance to land, but was instructed by EAL, to turn the Aircraft around and bring it back to MIA, because they didn't have spar engines, or mechanics, there to change them!----- :shock: Now you know the rest of the story!

You are partially right, the plane did indeed return to MIA after the first engine (#2)quit because there were no EAL maintenance in Nassau, which was where the flight was going, not San Juan. EAL had a big presence in San Juan and I am almost certain they had their own maintenance there.

You are partially right, the plane did indeed return to MIA after the first engine (#2)quit because there were no EAL maintenance in Nassau, which was where the flight was going, not San Juan. EAL had a big presence in San Juan and I am almost certain they had their own maintenance there.
<_< --- And the second died in flight, and the thrird, and last, as he was taxing to the gate!---- ;)

<_< ----Mike, rumor had it that if ALCOA had got that contract, it would have gone to TUL, and we would have ended up doing what's left of the 757 winglet mods!--- But now we can concentrate on finishing the rest of the C.I.P. Aircraft!----Yes, it sure sounds like AlCOA is dead in the water!---- Hey! It's a paycheck!---- ;)
Looks like someone else is doing them because they already delivered one.
http://www.alcoa.com/alcoa-SIE_cargo_conve..._redelivers.asp

BTW...Per this months Overhaul and Maintenance magazine, Alcoa charges $3.75 million per a conversion, ST Mobile charges $5.5 to $5.7 million per a conversion.

Well I just looked into this more and I'm told that we bid a lower price but would not do more than one line at a time. This compares to:
I guess that would of resulted in recalls. :eek:
<_< ----- You know, it's a little ironic that aa would through away a $450-$470Mil., seven year, contract, just because of Union politics! There would have been a massive recall here at MCI, but TUL, and the TWU, just couldn't have that! Now would they? But frankly ---- working with aa's engineering, and seeing the lack of leadership here on the CIP program, I get the feeling that maybe it wasn't that, but a reluctance to take on a project of that size along with the C.I.P.!!!-- ;) But damn! $470- MILLION!!!!? ;) Or is there something on the back burner we don't know about? Like maybe a posible merger/buyout? :shock:

While $65 million a year sounds huge ($470 million over 7 years), if it was gonna cost AA $66 million a year to do the work - then it ain't gonna happen. Perhaps it wasn't gonna be profitable.

Besides, as MCI points out, maybe the impending purchase of NW might mean there will be plenty of work once NW's scabs are tossed to the curb. :p

While $65 million a year sounds huge ($470 million over 7 years), if it was gonna cost AA $66 million a year to do the work - then it ain't gonna happen. Perhaps it wasn't gonna be profitable.

Besides, as MCI points out, maybe the impending purchase of NW might mean there will be plenty of work once NW's scabs are tossed to the curb. :p
An older article that I can't find said AA got $1.5 million per a plane for the labor. So with even 21 mechanics spread over 3 shifts for 90 days at an overly inflated rate of $80 an hour would come up with around 300k a plane profit. Knowing the way MCI works, they would of got them in out in 60 days with less manpower and the company could of made 500k+ a plane. ;)

Looks like someone else is doing them because they already delivered one.
http://www.alcoa.com/alcoa-SIE_cargo_conve..._redelivers.asp

BTW...Per this months Overhaul and Maintenance magazine, Alcoa charges $3.75 million per a conversion, ST Mobile charges $5.5 to $5.7 million per a conversion.
<_< ---- AMFAMAN, That Aircraft was their prototype plane. They must have got the pressurization problems worked out on it. Seems the people who did it didn't do too well on the fit and finish! That's why we got the contract to begin with! They're also doing two aircraft down in South America some where, as a condtion of sale! First I've heard about cost, but did hear that ALCOA's conversion weight is higher than the competition, so that may make a difference also. But the main problem is that there are just so many 757's out there! And with S.T. doing 90, finding more will be a problem!---- ;) Oh! I also heard Boeing may put the 75's back into production! :up:

Knowing the way MCI works, they would of got them in out in 60 days with less manpower and the company could of made 500k+ a plane. ;)
That's for sure! Some of the 762's are fully blown out in the cargos! Looks like somebody was in a hurry and Dinol was sprayed right over the corrosion! (Hint; that doesn't stop it!) I wonder who is doing the inspections, 'cause they must be blind!!!! (Note, the effect of all the !!!!! is.....well, over the top. )

That's for sure! Some of the 762's are fully blown out in the cargos! Looks like somebody was in a hurry and Dinol was sprayed right over the corrosion! (Hint; that doesn't stop it!) I wonder who is doing the inspections, 'cause they must be blind!!!! (Note, the effect of all the !!!!! is.....well, over the top. )
<_< -----Hackman, if you haven't figured it out yet, the767-200's are "old" Aircraft! "Old" Aircraft, like "Old" people, have corrosion! But I'll tell you what! You send us those old 767's, and we'll take care of them! We'll send you the C.I.P. program! Maybe you can do better on them! We've only got it down to about 22 days, with about 65 people! They're not happy with that! They want them in 18! But I'm sure you'all can do better!!!!

<_< -----Hackman, if you haven't figured it out yet, the767-200's are "old" Aircraft! "Old" Aircraft, like "Old" people, have corrosion! But I'll tell you what! You send us those old 767's, and we'll take care of them! We'll send you the C.I.P. program! Maybe you can do better on them! We've only got it down to about 22 days, with about 65 people! They're not happy with that! They want them in 18! But I'm sure you'all can do better!!!!
Right, they are old, doesn't mean the corrosion should be ignored. Explain how the Dynol got sprayed right over the corroded stringers, J-caps, and nutplates in the cargo areas??? It certainly looks like somebody in MCI was in a hurry to get the aircraft out the door instead of repairing them the right way. The last heavy checks on these 762's were done in MCI, and now they are a real mess. Dynol does not stop corrosion progression if its already started.

<_< ---- What Hackman!? No Deal???-- What is it? You don't want the C.I.P. back??? :shock: My! My! My! You dump this project on us, because you knew you couldn't handle it, and brag about doing it! Now you've got the balls to cry about having to go to work for a change!--- ;) Don't lecture me about corrosion son! I was dealing with it when you were still on your mamy's knee!!!

<_< ---- What Hackman!? No Deal???-- What is it? You don't want the C.I.P. back??? :shock: My! My! My! You dump this project on us, because you knew you couldn't handle it, and brag about doing it! Now you've got the balls to cry about having to go to work for a change!--- ;) Don't lecture me about corrosion son! I was dealing with it when you were still on your mamy's knee!!!
Trade cabin work for blown out cargo's??? I don't think your back could take it. Must have been the problem before. If you MCI hitters want to get rid of CIP, I'm sure some easy cabin work would be welcomed here. I'm sure that some of the guys stuck in the cargos might trade you out. Not crying about the work at all, just that it's a wonder how all the blown-out aluminum was missed 18 months ago. Aluminum doesn't turn to white powder that fast, even if it is sprayed over with Dynol.

I don't know how you "deal" with corrosion, but you might want to re-examine your program.

Ok gramps, let all those !!!!!!!! fly.

Trade cabin work for blown out cargo's??? I don't think your back could take it. Must have been the problem before. If you MCI hitters want to get rid of CIP, I'm sure some easy cabin work would be welcomed here. I'm sure that some of the guys stuck in the cargos might trade you out. Not crying about the work at all, just that it's a wonder how all the blown-out aluminum was missed 18 months ago. Aluminum doesn't turn to white powder that fast, even if it is sprayed over with Dynol.

I don't know how you "deal" with corrosion, but you might want to re-examine your program.

Ok gramps, let all those !!!!!!!! fly.
<_< ----Hackman, This last post of yours tells it all! I can see by it that, when you want to avoid an issue, you tend to try to demean, and, or, exaggerate! The emphasis is on "exaggerate"! By inferring that the C.I.P. program is simply "cabin work" tells me either that your ignorant of what the program really consists of, or your trying to belittle it! The program consists of 70% Avionics, 20% General AMT, and about 10% Metalwork! And 100% awareness of what your doing! Let me point out that AFW had their crack at it, and couldn't hack it! They gladly let it go to MCI because they thought it was a red hearing, and wanted no part of the political pressure that went along with it! -----I hope that I don't bore you with all these !!!, but sometime they can express exactly what I'm saying!--- As for the "Gramps"! Yea! I'm a Grandfather, and proud of it!!!