ALPA files suit against US

flyingcat

Veteran
Oct 10, 2005
US Airways pilots sue airline

The suit, filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia, said the carrier plans to eliminate America West's "HP" designator code from reservation systems on Sunday morning, enabling it to list all flights as US Airways flights.

The lawsuit contends that integration plans must be halted until the airline signs a single pilots' contract, as required by the Railway Labor Act and the transition agreement negotiated in September 2005 with Air Line Pilots Association chapters at both previous carriers.

US Airways pilots sue airline

The suit, filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia, said the carrier plans to eliminate America West's "HP" designator code from reservation systems on Sunday morning, enabling it to list all flights as US Airways flights.

The lawsuit contends that integration plans must be halted until the airline signs a single pilots' contract, as required by the Railway Labor Act and the transition agreement negotiated in September 2005 with Air Line Pilots Association chapters at both previous carriers.
By George I think they found the balls :shock: they lost!

I don't understand what harm the pilots' allege is being done to them by the reservations computer doing away with the HP sign. Their dispatch paperwork and everything else will remain the same, as will their paycheck. I just don't see where this causes an action to accrue and I damn sure don't see any reason why any judge would enter any temporary restraining order, which is the only thing that would stop the integration of the reservations system this weekend.

ALPA seems to be worried about losing leverage. Doesn't surprise me since the biggest sign to the passenger that there are two airlines, the two res system, will be gone.

It will be harder for the public to be sympathetic to a schism they don't see.

I don't understand what harm the pilots' alledge is being done to them by the reservations computer doing away with the HP sign. Their dispatch paperwork and everything else will remain the same, as will their paycheck. I just don't see where this causes an action to accrue and I damn sure don't see any reason why any judge would enter any temporary restraining order, which is the only thing that would stop the integration of the reservations system this weekend.

Are you serious? This is huge and you should be thanking ALPA. As long as management can continue on the course of merging these two companies they have no reason whatsoever to negotiate a single contract. Don't forget, West flight attendants need and deserve a raise! East flight attendants want something in return for the sacrifices that have paved the way for this companies success. If management can continue to merge they will do so. Even Doug has said he can operate this airline under different contracts if need be. Why let him do that? Ask Doug if he is still receiving the same pay for running this company as he did America West. The answer will be no. He is getting more. This is in everyones best interest. While the flight attendants are worried about powdered creamer versus liquid, ALPA is actually worried about the future of their workgroup. Thank you ALPA. And BTW, I am a flight attendant.

Are you serious? This is huge and you should be thanking ALPA. As long as management can continue on the course of merging these two companies they have no reason whatsoever to negotiate a single contract. Don't forget, West flight attendants need and deserve a raise! East flight attendants want something in return for the sacrifices that have paved the way for this companies success. If management can continue to merge they will do so. Even Doug has said he can operate this airline under different contracts if need be. Why let him do that? Ask Doug if he is still receiving the same pay for running this company as he did America West. The answer will be no. He is getting more. This is in everyones best interest. While the flight attendants are worried about powdered creamer versus liquid, ALPA is actually worried about the future of their workgroup. Thank you ALPA. And BTW, I am a flight attendant.
I am a F/A as well...thank god you have a brain as well...way to go ALPA...I have my black band on my wrist...
guess the F/A's will get wrist band's soon will they be rainbow colors...RELAX just kiddin... :lol:

It is, indeed, nice to see ALPA finally playing Chess instead of Checkers. Please note....these court filings were done at the ALPA National level. Looks like we are finally getting more than just a magazine for our dues. Bravo. Greeter.

Very interesting. I have'nt read the case but would losing the "HP" designation affect the IAM members and would it be legitimate for the IAM or other unions to file 'similar' suits about the "HP" designation?

regards,

Tomorrow would be the day to do it. Spring it on them at the 11th hour like Mr Glass. Who cares if it has merit, make US run around and spend a ton on lawyers to fight it.

With a little bit of cooperation, Organized Labor could put up a VERY effective fight. One strong enough to get the current team ousted, which may or may not be a good thing.

You go Bob..... :up: :up: :up:

Are you serious?

Play judge a second. You will have parties' briefs in front of you that tell you all about the merger and the existing labor contracts. You will also have the plaintiff's Complaint and defendant's Answer in front of you and a Motion For A Temporary Restraining Order. You as the judge are going to hear that the company, in the process of continuing to integrate the operations is merging two airline reservation systems into one system. However, whatever evidence that the plaintiff places before you that the plaintiff claims shows that the company is not honoring the plaintiffs' contract(s) is going up against either a witness or an affidavit from someone at the FAA that will state, under oath, that the FAA treats HP and U as seperate entities for all operational matters. Operationally, LCC does not exist today, nor will it the day after the reservation system is merged. Operationally, LCC will only exist once the FAA fully signs off on all the issues regarding mergers of flight ops, inflight, maintenance, dispatch, etc.

Now, as judge, do you think that under these quickly presented circumstances you can infer that it is highly likely at a full trial that the plaintiffs will prevail as well as irreperable harm will be done to the plaintiffs that justifies the issuance of a temporary restraining order?

You tell me Mr. Judge, because to grant the extrodinary relief to have a TRO issue, the plaintiffs need to prove both the likelihood of prevailing and that irreperable harm will be done absent the issuance of a TRO.

It's a shot across Dougs bow, not going to hit anything but used to get his attention! Nice work.

It's a shot across Dougs bow, not going to hit anything but used to get his attention! Nice work.

If both you and I are correct, then by definition it is a frivilous lawsuit and the attorneys and the plaintiff are subject to court sanctions for filing it.

If both you and I are correct, then by definition it is a frivilous lawsuit and the attorneys and the plaintiff are subject to court sanctions for filing it.

Frivilous lawsuit or not if there is a real dispute regarding the contract being broken the court will have to decide if it is a major or minor dispute. I can't see it being ruled a major dispute when all is said and done. But will the court rule right away or issue a TRO while they decide? Even if ruled a major dispute initially it will most likely get overturned. If ruled a minor dispute the company can do what it wants while it moves through the grievance procedure. If it is ruled a major dispute then the company must halt whatever it is that ALPA filed about and must negotiate with ALPA.

Latest posts