ALPA will file objection to pension termination

Mlt:

The pilot group does not want to see the other pension plans terminated and there is no "mugging" going on within the pilot group. We simply want what we agreed to becaause we have provided three different concessions to preserve.

Can you tell me how many other employee groups have taken three cuts to fund their pensions? Or asked another way, how many employee groups have taken just one cut to fund their pension?

ALPA has taken three cuts to fund their pension whereas the other employee groups have taken only one. Now the company wants the pilots to take a fourth cut by eliminating the defined benefit plan.

ALPA feels it has taken cuts to fund its pension, but the others employees have not.

According to the June 28 ALPA code-a-phone, "Although the pilots’ pension plan costs have remained the same because of concessions, as in the original plan conditionally approved by the ATSB, the costs for other employees’ pension benefits have increased substantially.

During the second restructuring negotiations, retirement benefit reductions were included in the pilots’ December 13 supplemental cost reduction agreement to help preserve the pilots’ pension plan. This included reducing the maximum benefit multiplier from 65 percent to 50 percent and the yearly multiplier from 2.4 percent to 1.8 percent over the first 25 years of benefit accrual. This, in turn, produced pension cost reductions and saved the Company approximately 77 million dollars average per year for seven years, or 500 million dollars for the seven-year period.

The pilot concessions to the retirement benefits nullified the impact that lower market performance and interest rates had on the pilots’ pension plan. As a result, despite the reduced market value of assets and the reduced interest rate assumptions, the pilot pension plan contribution costs for US Airways only slightly increased by about 38 million dollars over the seven-year period to about 1.69 billion dollars (up from about 1.66 billion dollars calculated in the summer of 2002).

However, the other employee pension plans’ combined contribution costs increased by about 582 million dollars to about 1.44 billion dollars (up from about 860 million dollars) due to the market and interest rate changes.

This cost increased because no other employee group agreed to benefit reductions to preserve their pension plans. The effect was that the 500 million dollar pilot cost reduction agreed to by ALPA was absorbed by the increased cost of the other employees’ pension plans, which to date suffer no benefit decrease.

The total for all employee pension plan contributions in the present plan contribution requirements as of January 2003 was about 3.14 billion dollars (1.697 billion + 1.44 billion). This cost was up from the previous business plan’s 2.52 billion dollars primarily because of the increased cost of the other employee pension plans, not the pilots.

Even after round two, with ALPA’s reduced pension benefits, management took the position that the Company could not meet the increased funding obligation for all employee pension plans and still meet ATSB conditions for a loan guarantee.

In an effort to preserve all employee pension plans, the Company petitioned the PBGC for a deferred payment schedule by requesting the seven-year funding contribution for the pilots’ plan be spread out over 30 years.

This request reduced the Company’s seven-year underfunding requirement for only the pilots’ pension plan from 1.69 billion dollars to about 852 million dollars, again making up for the increased cost of the other employee pension plans, which the Company included in its January 2003 ATSB business plan. The Company added the increased pension contribution of 1.44 billion dollars of the other employee pension plans in the January 2003 ATSB business plan, and promised other employees their pensions were secure as a result of their concessions."

Mlt, with all due respect, can you tell me were the ALPA MEC is wrong in their code-a-phone comments above?

Finally, what is your opinion of Roy Freundlich's comment of "US Airways pilots have provided significantly more concessions that any other employee group—in fact more than all combined—to help this company survive and emerge from bankruptcy. We are now being rewarded by solely facing the termination of our defined benefit retirement plan, while the cost reductions for our pension plan are in effect shifted to preserve the full benefits of all other employee groups’ pension plans at increased funding costs?"

Again, this is our fight and we do not want to see any defined benefit plan terminated for your employee group or for anybody else; however, the MEC believes ALPA has provided three concessions to fund its pension, the other employeees have not taken one cut to fund their pensions, and the pilots will not take another cut.

Chip

Pitguy:

Pitguy asked: How's that other job offer working out? I figured you would be gone by now. Best wishes in your new career.

Chip answers: Pitguy, there is a lot involved with packing up, moving my family and children half way around the world, and starting over. However, if the pilot group decides to strike or the company's pension plan (which has not been provided to the rank-and-file) is insufficent, my wife and I will then make the decision on our next step.

The good news is we have an alternative and will not have to rely on unemployment. You may want to look for alternatives as well because it appears we could be headed for a train wreck.

Chip

Chip,

Thanks for your partial answer. I really didn't expect one. Just curious what your gut feeling indicated.

btw Chip, your post are not misunderstood or misconstued by all. I get the point loud and clear. Your group is being robbed of EARNED income as I have posted much recently. Perhaps those who disagree would be willing to let Usair raid any net worth they may have accumalated for the sake of suvivability?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/6/2003 8:33:01 PM Biffeman wrote:

Chip you have only taken two rounds of concessions just like the rest of us and you did not take cuts to fund your pension, you took cuts to save your jobs.
----------------
[/blockquote]

WRONG: Protecting our retirement was one of our most important objectives. We lost 1800 jobs in case you haven't noticed. We took an additional 8% paycut January 1 to save jobs.

A320 Driver

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/6/2003 7:56:36 PM fatherabraham wrote:

Chip,

Thanks for your partial answer. I really didn't expect one. Just curious what your gut feeling indicated.

btw Chip, your post are not misunderstood or misconstued by all. I get the point loud and clear. Your group is being robbed of EARNED income as I have posted much recently. Perhaps those who disagree would be willing to let Usair raid any net worth they may have accumalated for the sake of suvivability?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Father, every employee within US Air is being robbed of their earned income in one form or another.

It unfortunate that the pilots are facing the possibility of their pension being terminated. Hopefully everything will work out in the end.

Tug

Tug,

Could you be specific. I am not aware of any other group being looted for $ " they have already earned ". Again...not present or future earnings.

Chip You amaze me again...You never have defended anything the unions griped about when cuts were asked for from this company. I was so "in your court" when i read some of your post. I now see its al about me me me me . Chip you dont have a choice other than like it and stay or fight and die. Its that simple > Good luck We can only hope for the best !

Hi Chip,
Once again, I want to reiterate that I do not want to see ALPA or anyone lose their pensions...Onto the questions-

In November, approximately 3 weeks before ALPA entered concessionary round 2 talks, the labor leaders were called to CCY to discuss the pension issue (ALPA, IAM, AFA). At that meeting all groups were given the same information (amount of underfunding per group and the company's solution-defined contribution plan). The amount of underfunding was: ALPA 2.2 Billion; IAM 550 million; AFA 300 million; others 4%; total=3.1 billion dollars were needed to adequately fund the pensions over the next 7 years. Please remember this meeting took place 3 weeks before the last agreement, so I believe these figures were utilized during the latest concessions. Even with ALPA's reduced formula of 1.8% and the integration factor of 50 that reduced ALPA's pension funding by 500+million, ALPA's underfunded value is still in the neighborhood of 1.6-1.7 billion. That figure is still almost twice the underfunded value of all other pensions.

I appreciate the fact that ALPA has taken 2 paycuts which affect your FAE, as well as a reduced formula for a 3rd cut and now potentially facing the final cut of your benefits. Please realize all labor groups have taken paycuts which affect their FAE's also. Although, to date no one else has had their pension terminated. But there are six weeks left of bankruptcy for mgm't to use as leverage.

As I stated on a previous post, ALPA claims to have suffered a 46% cut in wages and benefits; yet, when anyone mentions the last parity increase of 17% associated with wages, ALPA immediately cries foul because the increase was only in effect 2 months. So with that reasoning the total cut is actually 29%. Still a lot, but proportionately within the range of all groups.

I do feel for your group. Although, I wish the facts were presented fairly. I must admit that I find it suspect that during the 3 week period prior to round 2 ALPA's underfunding was constant, while IAM and AFA's doubled, according to ALPA's spokesperson.

I realize emotions are running strong, and I understand. However, I do not see ALPA as a whole and pilots as individuals gaining anything substantial by insisting that the pensions of all are terminated.

Biff:

Biff said: Chip you have only taken two rounds of concessions just like the rest of us and you did not take cuts to fund your pension, you took cuts to save your jobs.

Chip comments: Biff, in the initial restructuring agreement pension plan costs were reduced for pilots, flight attendants, mechanics and management employees primarily as a result of wage reductions, which reduced final average earnings calculations and thereby reduced pension benefits, liabilities and the underfunding contributions required by US Airways.

Then in the supplemental restructuring agreement the pilots took an additional 8 percent W-2 cut, which further reduced final average earnings calculations and thereby reduced pension benefits.

In addition, to save the pilots defined benefit retirement plan, over and above the $101 million in pay, benefit, and productivity concessions provided in the December 13 supplemental restructuring agreement concessions, ALPA took a third cut.

This third cut included reducing the maximum benefit multiplier from 65 percent to 50 percent and the yearly multiplier from 2.4 percent to 1.8 percent over the first 25 years of benefit accrual.

This, in turn, produced a third cut pension cost reductions and saved the Company approximately $77 million average per year for seven years, or $500 million for the seven-year period.

Biff, that's three pilot concessions to fund our retirement plan.

However, the other employee pension plans’ combined contribution costs increased by about $582 million to about $1.44 billion (up from about $860 million) due to the market and interest rate changes from the time between the restructuring agreements and the supplemental resturucturing agreements.

These costs increased because no other employee group agreed to benefit reductions to preserve their pension plans.

Biff, according to the January 24 ALPA code-a-phone the net "effect was that the $500 million pilot cost reduction agreed to by ALPA was absorbed by the increased cost of the other employees’ pension plans, which to date suffer no benefit decrease."

Biff, with all due respect can you tell me where I am wrong in this discussion?

Chip

Usflyboi:

Usfliboi said: You never have defended anything the unions griped about when cuts were asked for from this company. I was so "in your court" when i read some of your post. I now see its al about me me me me . Chip you dont have a choice other than like it and stay or fight and die.

Chip comments: Each employee group has taken two cuts, on a proportional basis, to keep US in business. Each of us have sacrificed and we all did our part to help our company survive.

However, with all due respect, only one employee group has taken three cuts, with management filing a motion in court, in violation of the S.1113 letter, to impose a fourth cut on the pilot group.

Moreover, according to ALPA pilot pay and benefits have been reduced by 46 percent and 10 percent of hte employees, who respresent about 30 percent of the total labor expense, have provided 60 percent of hte givebacks. Now we are being asked to provide even more, while no other employee is being asked to sacrifice again.

How is that fair?

I do not want to see any employee group take a thrid cut or lose their pension, but it's not fair to ask ALPA to take a fourth cut while all other employees do not sacrifice to fund their pensions, especially management.

ALPA's official position was discussed on the January 28 ALPA code-a-phone when a pilot spokesman said, "Although the pilots’ pension plan costs have remained the same because of concessions, as in the original plan conditionally approved by the ATSB, the costs for other employees’ pension benefits have increased substantially."

In addition, the ALPA code-a-phone said, "This cost increased because no other employee group agreed to benefit reductions to preserve their pension plans. The effect was that the 500 million dollar pilot cost reduction agreed to by ALPA was absorbed by the increased cost of the other employees’ pension plans, which to date suffer no benefit decrease."

ALPA has taken three cuts to fund its pension and now management is petitioning the court to terminate the pilots pension plan, to impose a fourth major concession, to help pay for other employee pensions, RJ orders, and other initiatives.

How is that fair?

Meanwhile, the February 5 ALPA code-a-phone said, "ALPA has filed a grievance challenging the company's unilateral action to terminate the pilots' plan, and intends to file an objection in the bankruptcy court by the required objection date and vigorously oppose the debtors' motion at the hearing."

Regardless, it will be interesting to see how this plays out, especially since the MEC has activated the Strike Preparedness Committee.

Usflyboi, with all due respect, can you tell me where I'm wrong in anything I said above?

Chip

Chip, Its not that i dont agree , but who said bk was fair? Were talking yours and my company here and will it survive? The 46% pay cut you refer to i think is inflated but even if true, is alpa willing to fight a battle that neither can afford? Its not about fair chip. I agree the pilots have taken their fair share, but this is coming from a guy who constantly talked of daves honesty and how smart he was, how you trusted him. The same arguement you use is the same type argument that cwa and others yelled because they had all ready given Dave.. Back then you were saying u understood but the company had to do certain things to meet requirements set up by rsa and the loan board. Im not bashing you chip im just saying none of this is fair ....

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/7/2003 7:30:51 AM Biffeman wrote:

Your logic is wrong, $500 million of the ATSB loan goes directly back to RSA to pay the DIP loan off.
----------------
[/blockquote]
......And so is ALPA's. That's my point!

Excuse me! But, if you must continue this implication that the pilots' pension cuts are funding the other employee funds, this emerges. Why is it OK for ALPA to use this "fuzzy logic" but not others, as demonstrated in the following? Seems the ATSB loan is primarily to fund the pilots' pension!

Even though all employee groups and subsidiaries have already made extreme concessions to allow the company to survive, the outlook is bleak.

Almost all of the ATSB 900 million dollar loan appears to be slated to go to the funding of the revised pension plan for the pilot group. David Siegel stated, "Under that agreement with ALPA, the company will contribute $850 million over the next seven years to a new defined contribution plan." Amazingly, this appears to leave only 50 million of the proceeds for the restructuring process.

Even though the sacrifices made by all employee groups seem to be for the sole purpose of obtaining a loan to fund the pilot pension plan, ALPA will not agree to the new plan. Their creative response is, "We are angered by the company's shifting of the funding that was supposed to go into our plan being transferred into the plans of other employees," said Roy Freundlich, a spokesman for the US Airways Master Executive Council of Air Line Pilots Association. "We find that, plus the desire to terminate our plan completely unacceptable, and we will be challenging it on all fronts."