America West Arena

BMIBABYgirl737

Advanced
Oct 22, 2003
I know this is probably a silly question, will America West Arena be renamed US Airways Arena this season, and if so when will that take place? I am a HARDCORE Phoenix Suns Fan and furloughed US Airways Flight Attendant. I hope for nothing best for AWA and US people! :D

LUV2FLYHIGH said:
From what my understanding is we only have name rights till 07, so I'm sure it will change and the team will probably want a NEW Arena....

Not exactly correct.

The deal goes at least until 2015 and maybe 2020 I forgot .
The suns (Gerry Coangelo) owns the stadium and just spent like 40 million to upgrade it. The valley now has 2 big multi use stadiums no more will be built.
They have said the naming rights will continue I just assume it will become US AIRWAYS ARENA.

On a pearsonal note when I moved here from Texas in 1996 I new of America West Arena from the Suns (The Rockets and Suns had a couple of great playoff series) but I always assumed it was a regional moniker. I had never heard of AWA (HP).

UPNAWAY said:
LUV2FLYHIGH said:
From what my understanding is we only have name rights till 07, so I'm sure it will change and the team will probably want a NEW Arena....

Not exactly correct.

The deal goes at least until 2015 and maybe 2020 I forgot .
The suns (Gerry Coangelo) owns the stadium and just spent like 40 million to upgrade it. The valley now has 2 big multi use stadiums no more will be built.
They have said the naming rights will continue I just assume it will become US AIRWAYS ARENA.

On a pearsonal note when I moved here from Texas in 1996 I new of America West Arena from the Suns (The Rockets and Suns had a couple of great playoff series) but I always assumed it was a regional moniker. I had never heard of AWA (HP).
[post="289416"][/post]​
the number 30 sticks in my memory. As in 30 years. That would be a good research project for someone willing to dive into The Arizona Republic archives.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the merged company sell back those naming rights. It just seems to me that a company doesn't get back much from all it spends just to name a stadium. Companies name stadiums in their home town, where their name is already well known.

I could be wrong; but I think the $800,000 they spend every year (http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/stadiumnames.html) could be better spent.

Thanks for all of the information about the arena. I had no idea that they spent $800,000 a year to use their name! PHX-FA, I'll never forget that Rockets-Suns series, isn't that when the Rockets were "Clutch City?" Horry, Cassell launched all of those 3's. The Suns either kick a$$ in a playoff series or get their a$$ kicked hard(05 conference finals vs. Spurs).

rjh,

I would have to disagree. The arena is a huge marketing tool. And it it is $800,000 a year then it is a bargain. Just think bout it, everytime they show the name on the floor or on the back of the seats it get the name out there. And when a nationally televised game is being played it's even bigger. Having to pay for commercials with that much exposure would cost millions and millions.

I think the Suns have several nationally televised games scheduled for the 05-06 season on ESPN, ABC and TNT. The Suns were pretty exciting during the 04-05 season and have pretty much everyone back for 05-06 except Joe Johnson and Q Richardson, so they should draw a good viewing audience. Maybe if Amare or Steve Nash started dating Eva Longoria we could pick up passengers from the Desparate Housewives viewing crowd.

BMIBABYgirl737 said:
I know this is probably a silly question, will America West Arena be renamed US Airways Arena this season, and if so when will that take place? I am a HARDCORE Phoenix Suns Fan and furloughed US Airways Flight Attendant. I hope for nothing best for AWA and US people! :D
[post="288296"][/post]​

Sorry your furloughed, but maybe we can get this thing turned around and you can get your job back (that's assuming you'd take it back). I would think that shortly after the merger you would see the Arena name change to US Airways Arena. I'm a HARDCORE fan too...GO SUNS!

Jerry Colangelo is actually mostly out of the Suns, Robert Sarver is the new owner, and the team don't own the arena, the city does, but guess who paid for it to be built?

The taxpayers!

Guess who makes all the profit off of it?

Not the taxpayers!

I'm sure Jerry and Brian C. saw lots of $$$$ from the arena. I remember when the place opened back in 92, it was the gem of the league. Not to mention the Barkley hype that season.Watching Suns games in the early 90's is how I found out about America West Airlines. I remember when they played at the Madhouse on Mc Dowell the chairs had AW covers on the backs of them.
Yeah, I'll probably take my job back if offered, I think the new US Airways is going to be a better place. How do we get the SUNS to come work our flights instead of SOUTHWEST flights?????

See I knew someone would find the answer for us!

Oh and as far as hockey goes... We (taxpayers) just built a place for them out in Glendale, its next to the Football stadium (soon to be finished) for the Cardinals..

I'm sure we can stamp our name on to something if we wanted too!! :up:

Latest posts

Back