Cwa: America West Is Hiring Like Mad

deltawatch

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
CWA reports "America West is hiring like mad while US Airways is not filling vacancies. America West openings should be offered to furloughed US Airways employees before hiring off the street. America West has posted 30+ jobs at the Phoenix Res, 20+ jobs at LAS, and numerous jobs at all their other stations. They are hiring even though they know there will be a major downsizing and displacement right after the merger this Fall. At the same time US Airways is not filling vacancies."

"What's going on? It looks like US Airways is freezing while America West is hiring. If anything, America West should freeze until we all see how many agents their new executives plan to eliminate after Merger."

"To give US Airways furloughees a fair shot at returning to the newly merged airline, ahead of people who don't even work at either airline now, we proposed that US Airways furloughees be allowed to take the America West job openings before the company hires off the street. This would allow our furloughees to come back and eventually bridge their US Airways seniority after the merger. Management said they are willing to discuss this further."

Remember what Parker said?

He couldn't see a furloughed employee displacing an active one, or words to that effect.

Gonna get ugly some more, is my guess.

deltawatch said:
CWA reports "America West is hiring like mad while US Airways is not filling vacancies. America West openings should be offered to furloughed US Airways employees before hiring off the street. America West has posted 30+ jobs at the Phoenix Res, 20+ jobs at LAS, and numerous jobs at all their other stations. They are hiring even though they know there will be a major downsizing and displacement right after the merger this Fall. At the same time US Airways is not filling vacancies."

"What's going on? It looks like US Airways is freezing while America West is hiring. If anything, America West should freeze until we all see how many agents their new executives plan to eliminate after Merger."

"To give US Airways furloughees a fair shot at returning to the newly merged airline, ahead of people who don't even work at either airline now, we proposed that US Airways furloughees be allowed to take the America West job openings before the company hires off the street. This would allow our furloughees to come back and eventually bridge their US Airways seniority after the merger. Management said they are willing to discuss this further."
[post="283072"][/post]​

I think it would be a union issue and not a management issue insofar as displaced US Employees coming on board at HP and retaining any seniority/pay. I don't see the Teamsters (HP) or the CWA allowing joint existence within the same work group at this moment.

As far as HP continueing to fill vacancies, quite frankly, it is a testament to our sincere desire not to punish the Customer or the Employee by leaving positions open and working short.

HP Manager said:
As far as HP continueing to fill vacancies, quite frankly, it is a testament to our sincere desire not to punish the Customer or the Employee by leaving positions open and working short.
[post="283085"][/post]​

This would infer that HP acts when there is a problem and comes up with a solution. US Airways employees are not familar with that type of mgmt. Their mgmt can only react. Followers not leaders. They don't care about the customers - outsourcing to employees with more than a slight language barrier and employees - well, I won't even go there........ Most of the people left are hoping and praying that HP mgmt will be better.

totobird said:
Sounds like they are hiring off the street at lower wages rather than bringing back furloughed employees at the top of the wage scale. :angry:
[post="283129"][/post]​

SpinDoc replies:

And this is bad, HOW? Cost containment is
going to be crucial until the merger is completed
and all workgroups have been fully integrated.
Typical union response.

Well, because the new entity will be called US AIrways, which currently has contracts ( I know, I know, only management contracts are honored) which management signed, granting recall rights to furloughees (unless you're IAM FSA).

Sounds like Parker is going to make sure nobody is recalled anytime soon.

One more reason the new airline shouldn't be called USAirways. That makes an even 10,000. Anyone can apply for a job with HP prior to the merger or they can take their chances on recall.

SpinDoc said:
SpinDoc replies:

Typical union response.
[post="283136"][/post]​

You know something, I think you fell off your wheelchair. Even if cost is a big thing,it is only moraly correct to offer jobs to the furloughed, even though they won't take it. But like I said Moraly. Oppps wrong company.

SpinDoc said:
SpinDoc replies:

Typical union response.
[post="283136"][/post]​

This is going to be AWA fatal mistake. They will end up hurting their own people if they continue to hire off the street.

We have an INVOL list, and its NOT going away. AWA is making their situation much worse.

totobird said:
Sounds like they are hiring off the street at lower wages rather than bringing back furloughed employees at the top of the wage scale. :angry:
[post="283129"][/post]​
Wouldn't you do that if you could get away with it, if you ran a company and were charged with keeping costs loW?

PITbull said:
This is going to be AWA fatal mistake. They will end up hurting their own people if they continue to hire off the street.
We have an INVOL list, and its NOT going away. AWA is making their situation much worse.
[post="283182"][/post]​

Fortunately for the AFA, they have people like you representing their interests. A friend of mine who is a furloughed pilot from U and now at AWA had a chance to talk to some AWA friends that are union people after the joint pow wow last month. One of the AWA union types said he was embarassed for the U pilots when one of the U MEC members inferred that some things in the intergration are definately up for negotiation like seniority of the furloughed pilots. I guess this person was trying to ingratiates themself but actually looked like an a$$ that would sell out his bretheren at a meet and greet type meeting. Of course, it was one of USA320's favorites in the GAG. Is that a suprise or what?

PITbull said:
[post="283182"][/post]​

I still think that many are missing my original point. This has nothing to do with Doug or anyone at HP, other than the fact that we will not sacrifice our service level by working short. There is no union in the world that would allow a scenario where a US Employee was brought back into the HP workforce and provided the US Wage and seniority.

RowUnderDCA said:
What's wrong with hiring temps?
[post="283258"][/post]​

Rate of pay??
Seniority?

Per the contract, The TWU would allow it in Fleet Service for a maximum of 90 days. " The offer of temporary workshall not constitute a recall of that Employee, and the Employee shall be treated as a temporary Employee with NO Accrual and with no award of benefits.

Of course this speaks to HP employees and not Employees covered under another Union. The bottom line answer is the same. Neither Union would allow another unions employee in the same classification to work together.

Of note as well, I don't see to many employees making the trip to an HP city, moving their family, etc.