America West, Us Airways May Consider Code-share I

jB-Rocks

Jan 20, 2004
America West and US Airways do not merge, they could at least form a beneficial code-sharing agreement, analysts say. High costs and labor unions make airline mergers difficult to complete. However, code-sharing agreements allow airlines to sell each other's seats and are considered an easier way for airlines to grow. The Charlotte Observer (N.C.) (free registration) (4/25)
See Story

If US does anything to jeopardize its Star membership, management is dumber than I ever thought. That being said, US can codeshare with HP out of PHX and even LAS without really affecting the UA-US codeshare. They just need to pick the routes so as to limit overlap. Besides, the DOJ will require such limits; they did with the NW-CO-DL partnership, too.

UA doesn't really have a competitor hub to PHX. I suppose LAX, SFO and DEN to certain extents, but I think HP's network out of PHX to Mexico and the like beats UA hands down. And, with Mexicana no longer in Star, HP might actually be a good addition if the three go down that path. Star is also missing a "southern" hub, which PHX would help fill to a certain extent; DFW and IAH would be more ideal but obviously that's not going to happen.

Code share? How is a code share agreement with anyone going to save US Air? Who is U going to steal traffic from with a code share agreement? How is a code share going to reduce U's costs, how is a code share going to wipe out U's debt payments?

Latest posts