US Air enters code share with Brazil’s TAM Airlines

SparrowHawk

Veteran
Nov 30, 2009
Read, Talk, Tell us what you think.

Storry here

Tempe-based US Airways will start flying to Rio de Janerio from Charlotte, N.C. in December. The code share agreement could launch as early as July.

TAM serves the U.S. from Brazil with flights into Orlando and Miami, Fla. as well as New York’s JFK International Airport. The new code share must be approved by U.S. and Brazilian regulators.

Read more: US Air enters code share with Brazil’s TAM Airlines - Phoenix Business Journal:

Tempe-based US Airways will start flying to Rio de Janerio from Charlotte, N.C. in December.

:blink:

Well, except for the fact that the service has already launched, I think this is great. Hopefully this will attract more traffic now that we can offer connections beyond GIG.

I don't think it means much of anything except there will be connections on both sides of the CLT-GIG flight.

I think it may also signal that US intends to stay in Star into the forseeable future, despite the seemingly cold shoulder from United, and the ugly girl comment ...In the last year, they have added several codeshares with Star partners such as ANA and TAM.

I don't think it means much of anything except there will be connections on both sides of the CLT-GIG flight.

I think it may also signal that US intends to stay in Star into the forseeable future, despite the seemingly cold shoulder from United, and the ugly girl comment ...In the last year, they have added several codeshares with Star partners such as ANA and TAM.

It is interesting that last week and this week we carried considerable cargo out of GIG on the flights I worked. The pax load was okay last night too (102) with Envoy being full. Over the past couple of months we did not carry any cargo out of GIG; maybe the code share is the reason.

I think this announcement just means that US is really making a concerted effort in gaining traction in the Brazilian market. By code sharing with TAM we gain access to the largest air market in South America and more visibility to Brazilian customers. I'm glad they are actively searching for new code share partners in markets in markets where we have a limited presence.

The code share hasn't started yet so the cargo you see most likely has nothing to do with TAM. Cargo is always an added bonus for any long haul flying. Additional revenue for space that would be flying empty anyway. Let's hope we see more!

I can only see this as being a positive for US, and hopefully increase the profitability of the CLT-GIG flight. It will also enable CLT-based customers who are headed to S. America (albeit not GIG as their final destination) to fly their hometown airline for the longhaul........instead of flying DL through ATL. (Not that I have anything against DL. :D )

The USAirways/TAM codeshare is a win-win for both airlines and will certainly help both carriers in expanding their coverage. US should be able to extend the reach of TAM out of MIA and MCO and TAM will definitely open ALL of Brazil up to US passengers. TAM is the largest carrier on the South American continent and serves many destinations with a young fleet of aircraft.. As TAM expands, I am sure they will open more gateways in the US (currently they only serve JFK,MCO and MIA). I have flown on TAM and they are definitely a carrier worth checking out if your travels take you SOUTH.