American A321Touched Down Short of CLT Runway

There are plenty of pics out there, no one is willing to post them... Aircraft is pretty banged up...

thanks... I haven't seen any but I'll take your word at this point.

It is a testament to how well engineered modern aircraft are.... for a substantially damaged 321 to fly for another 15 minutes or so while going around, for the 777 at SFO to remain as intact as it did.....

I am equally as amazed at the level of engineering that is going into cars and how rapidly technology is improving there as well.

I hope people here never lose the awe that comes from watching a plane takeoff or land.

It truly is a gift that we should all enjoy and pinch ourselves that we get to be a part of.

US had a A321 about 12 or so years ago have a bad tail strike in PHL, plane was ferried to CLT and fixed at the line hangar, there was significant damage then, and it was fixed.

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that a similar close call happened to an AA aircraft at DFW this June.

the article can be found by googling "American Airlines Had Serious Close Call in Texas in June"

interestingly, I believe this is the 30th anniversary of Delta 191, the L1011 that crashed on landing at DFW due to windshear and which accelerated significant improvements to airport weather monitoring systems.

Airbus-A321-US-Airways-damaged-Charlotte-Aug.-15-2015-reader.jpg

This doesnt look as bad as the one US fixed over 10 years ago.

That's not too bad.  I wouldn't want to pay the repair bill, though.  I doubt the crew could even feel or hear the difference (except MAYBE for the flight attendants stationed in the aft cabin) since it probably didn't affect the pressure bulkhead back there.   Doesn't even look like there's much of any hole in the skin.

Empanage needs to be replaced and probably a few other things.

The one that struck in PHL did have rear pressure bulkhead damage, but was fixed in house at the CLT line hangar.

All the damage appears to be in front of the empannage in the pressurized area. Very extensive damage. Looks like a write off depending on the value of the aircraft. Empannage looks unscathed from the pictures. Further investigation will find more damage. Sad but no one was hurt or killed.

1AA, US had a A321 over 10 years ago have more damage than this one and it was ferried to CLT and fixed in the Line Hangar with some assistance by Airbus Engineering, but all the work was done by US mechanics.

Thanks for the pic 700UW. Looking at it is sobering, This was close to being tragic.

700UW said:
1AA, US had a A321 over 10 years ago have more damage than this one and it was ferried to CLT and fixed in the Line Hangar with some assistance by Airbus Engineering, but all the work was done by US mechanics.
The decision between scrap and salvage is worth value. Insurance companies always have the last say unless AA wants to repair it beyond insurance pay off if that is the case. Who knows what the outcome will be until the engineers and AMT'S evaluate the damage. Narrow bodies are a dime a dozen. A 747 or 777 will still be scrutinize the same way if damaged. Depending how bad AA needs the aircraft might be a factor if the insurance pay off is not enough to repair. AA just sent two 757's to Roswell. Not sure if it's a reduction in schedule or retirement. Doing so in the middle of the summer might mean we have too many aircraft flying the schedule. How this affects this A321 is unknown.

Back