American Airlines announces Miami fare sale

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
AA on Wednesday launched a sale on fares from Miami and Fort Lauderdale to select destinations in the Caribbean, the Bahamas, Mexico and Latin America.

Passengers must begin travel between May 2 and June 25, and complete travel by June 27. Tickets must be purchased no later than May 2. Other restrictions, including embargo dates, apply. Fares do not include various taxes and fees.

One way fares from Miami, based on round-trip tickets, include Freeport, Bahamas, $50; Marsh Harbour, Bahamas, $65; Kingston, Jamaica, $69; Montego Bay, Jamaica, $69; Port-au-Prince, Haiti, $69, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, $89; St. Maarten, $89; Aruba, $119; San Jose, Costa Rica, $139; Guayaquil, Ecuador, $144; and Quito, Ecuador, $144.

One-way fares from Fort Lauderdale include San Juan, Puerto Rico, $89; St. Thomas, $94; St. Croix, $94.

story here

Oh good! And I was worried the whip marks across agent's backs would have time to heal!

Lets see how many vouchers yield is willing to cough up on this sale! However, CNN has been broadcasting the past couple of days DOT regulations that say the airlines must fork over cash instead of vouchers at passenger request. That may change the game a little.

I am rather curious though that after the big story that MIA was reponsible for much of the company's profits last year, why they would want to start giving that away? It appears customers are buying even without a sale.

Takes a moron to lead morons!

Oh good! And I was worried the whip marks across agent's backs would have time to heal!

Lets see how many vouchers yield is willing to cough up on this sale! However, CNN has been broadcasting the past couple of days DOT regulations that say the airlines must fork over cash instead of vouchers at passenger request. That may change the game a little.

I am rather curious though that after the big story that MIA was reponsible for much of the company's profits last year, why they would want to start giving that away? It appears customers are buying even without a sale.

Takes a moron to lead morons!

Heven forbid they have a slow sale during slow travel season to the Caribbean! Seriously...get a grip on yourself.

...get a grip on yourself.

But I have a grip - it's a grip on reality. There is never a need to put Haiti OR Aruba on sale. Those flights are always packed to the rafters. They could easily raise the price on Haiti, and where would they go instead? Nowhere, AA has the market cornered in most of these areas there is no need to piss off even more people by selling seats you don't have. IMHO, of course. ;)

Spirit is starting PAP from FLL.

Oh, Stop it already. Posting facts and all that. There's no room here for informative facts, only for ranting and raving. :D

B6 and Spirit and perhaps other LCCs are slowly moving into the Caribbean, AA runs a spring/summer fare sale (now that Winter is finally over) and Wing gets their panties in a wad that AA is leaving money on the table. How predictable.

My summertime flights to AUA from LAX (about $1,200 return in D via JFK) are never fully packed, and often have vacant seats in Biz. A couple of times last summer the pilots' families took up most of the space in J as they were beginning a summer holiday in AUA. When there's that much room for nonrevs, that tells me it's time to run a sale. But Wing (the poor whipped MIA agent) knows better. B)

But I have a grip - it's a grip on reality. There is never a need to put Haiti OR Aruba on sale.

Really? Have you heard of a little airline called Spirit Airlines, who is now flying between Ft. Lauderdale and Port Au Prince and begins a second daily flight this summer?

Spirit Airlines is undergoing a huge expansion into AA's turf. Look at the cities they have added or will add this year:

Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Baranquila, Colombia (applied today)
Bogota, Colombia (applied today)
Caracas, Venezuela
Chiclayo, Peru
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Lima, Peru
Port Au Prince, Haiti
Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
St. Maarten, Netherland Antilies
San Jose, Costa Rica
San Pedro Sula, Honduras

They are even flying to destinations in the region that AA has entirely ignored, such as Aguadilla and Chicalyo (fourth largest city in Peru; but a huge middle/upper class population).

Considering they're flying a new Airbus fleet, it's likely -- A320's have a strange attraction for trees... ;)

Seriously, Spirit has been around a long time, Bears. They've just stayed under the radar for the first ten years or so they were in business.

Spirit Airlines.

I Seriously (hope to GOD) that NONE of "their" trips, makes an unscheduled stop in the Everglades.

NH/BB's

With an all-Airbus fleet whose average age is 16 months, I seriously doubt they are worried.

Spirit is going to be trouble for AA. They have three dozen more Airbus planes coming, and are working with FLL to redesign Terminal 4 to better be used as a connecting hub. Spirit will be flying 214 weekly flights between Ft. Lauderdale and Latin America/Caribbean. That is more weekly flights than Delta offers between Atlanta and the region.

Latest posts

Back