American Airlines Cuts 200 Pilot Jobs

Additional details.

The Dallas Morning News:
“The company's proposal would provide financial incentives for senior captains ready to voluntarily leave and create advancement opportunities for junior pilots,â€￾ American said in a statement.

“If accepted by the APA, this agreement could significantly minimize the number of pilot furloughs,â€￾ American said. “It would also provide the company with the flexibility to recover from heavy retirement periods and greater ability to manage the short-term operational demands we are facing.

Cable News Network:
As with its other unions, AMR said it is working with the Allied Pilots Association to limit the number of involuntary layoffs. Early retirement of older pilots would also help the airline by cutting the ranks of the airline's highest-paid employees.

"If accepted by the APA, this agreement could significantly minimize the number of pilot furloughs," the airline said in a statement. "It would also provide the company with the flexibility to recover from heavy retirement periods and greater ability to manage the short-term operational demands we are facing."

While the company didn't reveal specific plans, it is offering incentives to workers 50 years of age or older, and with significant seniority.

Spokesman Tim Wagner said that "any pilot reductions are regrettable." But, under the proposal to the APA pilots, "eligible senior captains would have the opportunity to separate with additional money, junior pilots could move upwards to higher-paying positions and some, or even all, of the bottom 200 pilots [on the seniority list] may not need to be furloughed."

APFA has certainly taken a good lead on working with the company (not always a bad thing!) on the furlough issue. I hope APA and TWU will do the same.

Good Luck to all affected by this. Hopefully enough senior guys will retire which with the B-Plan I could see, I know get the hell out of there if I was a pilot and was able to.

Good Luck to all affected by this. Hopefully enough senior guys will retire which with the B-Plan I could see, I know get the hell out of there if I was a pilot and was able to. EDIT: On the otherhand I found this on the APA Website http://www.alliedpilots.org/Public/PublicR...ine/hotline.asp
Here are parts of it, I am not Copying and Pasting the whole thing. Now I am not sure if I'd take it after all...

APA’s negotiators are now studying management’s proposal. Among its more notable provisions: providing “a severance incentive equal to the amount of furlough pay a pilot would receive in accordance with Section 17 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (maximum of 4 ½ months).â€￾ The proposal calls for a total of 200 captains to be offered the severance incentive as follows: 40 B777 captains, 20 B767 captains, 60 A300 captains, 80 MD80 captains and no B737 captains. Management confirmed to our negotiators that those captains who accept the offer would waive the right to set their own retirement date and be terminated with no ability to lock in their B-Plan unit value.

The proposal also calls for an increase in the monthly maximum up to 82 hours. In addition, it would enable management to increase the monthly maximum up to 95 hours “in the event the Company experiences greater than forecast attrition beyond the number of pilots who accept the FMSP.â€￾ Bear in mind that increasing monthly maximums would generally be inconsistent with the goal of mitigating furloughs.

The proposal also states that “In the event the Furlough Mitigation Program causes the number of Small Widebody and/or Narrowbody Captains in SLT to fall below the required minimum in accordance with Supplement CC, the Company will not be required to provide pay protection to Supplement CC protected pilots for a period of one hundred and twenty (120) days following the departure date of the last SLT pilot accepting the FMSP.â€￾

The proposal also calls for an increase in the monthly maximum up to 82 hours. In addition, it would enable management to increase the monthly maximum up to 95 hours “in the event the Company experiences greater than forecast attrition beyond the number of pilots who accept the FMSP.â€￾ Bear in mind that increasing monthly maximums would generally be inconsistent with the goal of mitigating furloughs.

.â€￾

[/quote]

If a pilot works 87 hours a month - I know that they put in more doing pre-flights - sitting on the ground etc...how many hours on the job does 87 flying hours equate to?

Just curious not trying to make any point...

Interesting that with the APFA/TWU, the company said nothing about the VBRs until agreed upon. In this case, the company is speaking publicly about its proposal to the APA. Does that indicate the APA could be stonewalling a deal that the company believes the membership may like?

Interesting that with the APFA/TWU, the company said nothing about the VBRs until agreed upon. In this case, the company is speaking publicly about its proposal to the APA. Does that indicate the APA could be stonewalling a deal that the company believes the membership may like?

The company has not released details of the offer publicly, the APA has via their website on the hotline.

APA Hotine

And from the quotes to the press and the hotline, yes the APA seems to be balking in extending the offer to the membership.

There has been a shortage of pilots all this year and summer. But with the drawdown of 40 + mainline airplanes this fall and next year, that shortage will turn into an overage in about 6-7 weeks.

The company has not released details of the offer publicly, the APA has via their website on the hotline.

APA Hotine

And from the quotes to the press and the hotline, yes the APA seems to be balking in extending the offer to the membership.

There has been a shortage of pilots all this year and summer. But with the drawdown of 40 + mainline airplanes this fall and next year, that shortage will turn into an overage in about 6-7 weeks.

Exactly. A union spokesman mentioned that there were recalls in June. Of course he didn't point out that AA is speeding up the S80s and A300 retirements once the peak summer season ends.

Exactly. A union spokesman mentioned that there were recalls in June. Of course he didn't point out that AA is speeding up the S80s and A300 retirements once the peak summer season ends.

Since every other workgroup is going to be affected by capacity cuts, what makes APA think pilots should be immune to it?

Since every other workgroup is going to be affected by capacity cuts, what makes APA think pilots should be immune to it?

They're not, but they are woefully short of pilots now, which is why they were still recalling in June. It would seem that management's failure to strategically plan has left them stuck with 300 fuel in-efficient MD-80s and a bunch of Repair Bus' while oil has spiked in cost. When it comes to management bonuses, I guess you don't get what you pay for.

Just wait until you see how many early pilot retirements there are in the next several months.

If the membership were offered the proposed early out provision, there would definitely be zero furloughs. Might even be able to get some more guys brought in from furlough faster.

From your lips to God's ears, as they say. What I still don't understand is how could we go from (according to the company) a serious shortage of pilots in the 1st quarter to an overage of 200 in just 3 months. With the (as I understand it) much higher than normal retirements in the first 3 months of the year and with the cancelling of 777 flights because of those retirements, it seems to me that the Flight Academy should be running 3 shifts training recalled furloughees and upgrading people to the next seat.

I don't see how grounding 30 MD-80s and some Airbusses would cause an overage if we were already short. Of course, I was an English major so math is not my strong suit, and I do realize that what I have just posted may be too logical for the airline industry. :lol:

Latest posts

Back