Job cuts are coming

The prospect of moving from Fort Worth or Tulsa to high-cost of living cities where real estate (and the property taxes) cost several multiples of DFW or TUL levels will probably slow the movement of base mechanics to the line even if the company did pay for the move. And I agree that part of the contract may not exist when those decisions are made.

Horton was in MIA a few days ago and saig we will get smaller!!! No assurances on OH only that if we can do it competively they would look at it. Time for OH to step up to the plate!!!! The days of sat/sun off are over!!!! Be lucky you keep your jobs!!! Even if you came to the line you would be working weekends!
Most of the aircraft dcks are already working SAT/SUN. It is a M/F scheule, but there are many who work anyway.

Why is it time for OH to do anything for the line? The only thing the line has done for OH is give us broken aircraft to fix.

Apparently you have no clue what your talking about? The line is the backbone of the operation. I was hired in Tulsa and know how it is there. Isn't it your job to fix broken airplanes or do u want to come to work and do nothing? 7 day coverage doesn't mean Mon to Fri and work ot on weekends. I bet you have never worked any other airline before because you don't know how good you had it!!!

Most of the aircraft dcks are already working SAT/SUN. It is a M/F scheule, but there are many who work anyway.

Why is it time for OH to do anything for the line? The only thing the line has done for OH is give us broken aircraft to fix.

You're not doing anything for the line, you'll be changing your work rules to save yourself!!!! I doubt during this round of layoffs that all the TTown guys will be able to all just head to DFW.

Remember 500+ a/c fly everyday, the line mechs, pilots, FA's, agents and FSC's must be doing something to keep the airline going wtihout OH, and it's remarkable that the airline still operates during the Christmas week that OH is shut down. Not to mention that AA still operates on the weekends with OH operating a 1/7th work force. It's also remarkable that UAL, Delta, SWA, FedEx, and UPS, are able to operate without a OH facility like TUL.

That said, you need to realize that AA is not bluffing and I'm thinking the BK laws aren't there to protect the working men/women.

Everybody in M&E is focused on overhaul. What about line? I am thinking that a number of small Class Is and Class IIs are vulnerable. What's going to happen to the station and system protection? Formerly that was a blocker for a lot of small Class IIs. Will AA attempt to through provisions like that out?

Those are *exactly* the sort of things you guys should be watching for...

Reactions: 1 person
You're not doing anything for the line, you'll be changing your work rules to save yourself!!!! I doubt during this round of layoffs that all the TTown guys will be able to all just head to DFW.

Remember 500+ a/c fly everyday, the line mechs, pilots, FA's, agents and FSC's must be doing something to keep the airline going wtihout OH, and it's remarkable that the airline still operates during the Christmas week that OH is shut down. Not to mention that AA still operates on the weekends with OH operating a 1/7th work force. It's also remarkable that UAL, Delta, SWA, FedEx, and UPS, are able to operate without a OH facility like TUL.

That said, you need to realize that AA is not bluffing and I'm thinking the BK laws aren't there to protect the working men/women.
Duke787 and amt66, you made that so easy, do not be so gullable. I expected to have to wait overnite for a response. Quit worrying and trust the TWU to take care of you in court.

Reactions: 1 person
Duke787 and amt66, you made that so easy, do not be so gullable. I expected to have to wait overnite for a response. Quit worrying and trust the TWU to take care of you in court.

Owens isn't quite the Perry Mason he trys to sound like. I'm thinking the TWU will have as much power as the IAM had with UAL in BK.

Exactly!!!! Well said duke!!!
Just as with many issues where are livelihoods are in jeopardy, we will not have a choice in what takes place. After losing the seperate negotiations to the bankruptcy, now we are truly one. I still am having trouble finding the loaf of bread the union keeps talking about.

Hate to disagree with you but I have flown with many senior flight attendants that are in their 70's and have
no desire to retire. They feel this job is a part time job to go and have dinner in fabulous cities all over the world.
While your statement makes sense to the average individual it doesn't to some of these dinosaurs.

You are assuming an abrogated contract would allow full timers to still be able to work part-time... or to exclusively fly international... or avoid reserve, being qual'd on narrow bodies, etc.

Throw out what I recall is a rule ending a sequence when an intl FA flies into their domicile, and add on a BNA or ELP overnight to a sequence involving LHR or NRT, and dinner out suddenly takes on a different meaning.

One rumor I did hear repeated from a scheduler at another airline is that DFW might see cuts of 20-30%. It is the one market where AA has little risk of a competitive response, and also has the most MD80s and a terminal lease (B or maybe A?) which might be better rejected.

The fact that DL's empty terminal still sits largely vacant might even allow DFW to bulldoze one of the older buildings and finally start putting their gas well money to use, ans start on a domestic terminal renewal program, ie a more efficient layout like D has. A, B, C, and E have been patched up enough to look good, but are still horribly inefficient operationally and architecturally...

No one should be surprised by job cuts in all areas...I can't speculate what will happen in other areas, but as far as maintenance goes, I think you might see Class 2 stations closed and those people moving to the 5 focus cities as noted by the company..(LAX, MIA,DFW.ORD, AND NY). As for OH, I truly feel that remains but with major changes to work rules. At worst, AA may only outsource the heavy checks.
As noted in a few posts, AA is still hiring mechanics as we speak, but I assume that will stop. If you watch AATV with Tom Horton and a Q & A session following the bk filing, he did say in so many words that all issues regarding high costs can be negotiated rather than outright slashed or terminated. Sounds to me as if the unions can agree to the changes the company wants, certain aspects of the contracts might not take as much of a hit as feared.
But make no mistake, there are those issues that company wants to alter or eliminate permanently.

But of course, I am speculating, as is everyone.

However I think the job cuts wil happen.

Hate to disagree with you but I have flown with many senior flight attendants that are in their 70's and have
no desire to retire. They feel this job is a part time job to go and have dinner in fabulous cities all over the world.
While your statement makes sense to the average individual it doesn't to some of these dinosaurs.

I agree with you. I fly with them monthly to China. Since the bankruptcy announcement, only one person in that seniority group had a discussion about the state of affairs. with me. The rest are still shopping and stocking up on knockoffs. None of them are retiring any time soon.

I agree with you. I fly with them monthly to China. Since the bankruptcy announcement, only one person in that seniority group had a discussion about the state of affairs. with me. The rest are still shopping and stocking up on knockoffs. None of them are retiring any time soon.

Exactly they are all acting like if the filing was a non event. They won't even talk about it.