American Airlines is back on course as an innovator

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
Say you're sitting on an American Airlines jet that's stuck at the gate because of a mechanical problem. You can get some work done on your laptop while you wait. At the same time, underneath the airplane, laptops are also helping your plane get fixed more quickly.

American Airlines Inc. maintenance supervisors Gene Blasavage and Gary Carlson can't tell you how much their new computer system has increased productivity. But they can tell you how much faster American's mechanics can put broken airplanes back in the air. And that's the bottom line for them.

"Planes are waiting at the gate, people are on it, and you've got to do stuff," Mr. Carlson said. "We can turn a 45-minute wait into 10 or 15 minutes." They're doing it with laptops and a wireless network that can call up repair manuals, parts lists, airplane records and other information instantly.

Such a system was only a dream 10 years ago, but now it's part of the daily routine for the line mechanics who hustle to keep American's planes flying.

From the time it created the Sabre reservation system in the 1970s, American had developed a reputation for technological superiority in how airlines operate. And it went far beyond just a computer system to help it and travel agents book travelers. It was a leader in revenue management, or pricing tickets to get the most money out of each seat. Its programmers developed software to better schedule airplane crews, ground employees and aircraft for maximum productivity. It produced call center software and hardware to better handle reservations calls; tools to manage AMR's finances, including for its investment subsidiary; and other technologies to help the airline run better.

Nowhere is American's technological innovations more apparent than in its maintenance offices at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, where mechanics use 28 Panasonic Toughbook laptops to provide them almost all the information they need to keep American's 500-plus departures from the airport each day as on time as possible. The system, called Quantum, links the computers wirelessly through the Sprint cellular network with American's mainframe computers, on American's internal Vianet network.

The result is that mechanics can pull up all the information they need to work on airplanes without having to run back to the office to look up information on microfilm, bound volumes or desktop computers. "Before, they might make three or four trips into the office to get on the mainframe," said Mr. Carlson, production manager in maintenance and engineering at D/FW for American.

The line mechanics at the airports are the first-aid workers for broken airplanes, as opposed to the mechanics who do the heavy maintenance and repairs on the west side of D/FW and at Tulsa, Kansas City and Alliance Airport in Fort Worth. A similar technological revolution is going at those bases as American and its Transport Workers Union members compete for heavy maintenance work from other airlines as well as doing American's in-house work faster and cheaper. Mr. Blasavage, a tech crew chief, said the amount of information now available to his mechanics is much greater than just a year ago, when Quantum was launched. And the wireless laptops have untethered the mechanics. "Anything you do on a desktop, you can do through here," he said, tapping his laptop. "The nice thing about it is you can be anywhere in the world and if you have a Sprint connection, you can pull up everything. If you go to another station where they don't have maintenance, you can take this with you and access all the information."

complete story here

Geeze! It sure took 'em long enough. Portable manual readers were suggested long long ago. While every kid upstairs at the departure lounge has a DVD player, I still waste half my time going back and forth to the CD ROM reader for information that could be on a portable reader, let alone a laptop.

And mechs using their own cell phones to order parts from the gate instead of hiking back in.

And to think that they are patting themselves on the back for this.

My guess is that it is not as simple as handing out lap tops and saying 'go for it'. There are compatibility issues, durability, interface, support, security as well as a hot of other issues that needed to be considered.

Just a wag.

Geeze! It sure took 'em long enough. Portable manual readers were suggested long long ago. While every kid upstairs at the departure lounge has a DVD player, I still waste half my time going back and forth to the CD ROM reader for information that could be on a portable reader, let alone a laptop.

And mechs using their own cell phones to order parts from the gate instead of hiking back in.

And to think that they are patting themselves on the back for this.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"WW",

You've 1000% correct, about AMT's using THEIR OWN cell phones !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

I was issued mine a few months ago and it does save a lot of time when it works....seems there are a few "dead" spots around DFW that Sprint's service is iffy at best. My buddy took his on a couple of field trips and had no problem, it was a lot easier than waiting for TULE Tech to fax whatever paperwork was needed. The only thing lacking is we can't order parts directly from the computer and I refuse to use my cell cause AA isn't paying my monthly bill. It's funny though cause AA line maint here at DFW is still in the stone age when a plane has a problem...the issue is called in to production control, the agent then sends a message to the proper maint section, the crew chief then chks his list to see which mechanic is up next, then has to go from breakroom to breakroom to find him or if he has the mechanics cell phone, call and let him know what the problem is, what gate etc etc....I'm not sure but I think Continental has a system in place with palm pilots or laptops that do as much if not more than our laptops...Oh and we had a bunch of guys chk out these laptops, threw them in thier lockers and left them there so now there are no more for those who do want them.... typical.

What's sad is that Monte Ford presented the toughbooks at the fall management conference back in 2002 or 2003. Why the f*** did it take more than four years to roll this out?

I was issued mine a few months ago and it does save a lot of time when it works....seems there are a few "dead" spots around DFW that Sprint's service is iffy at best.

I've noticed that as well. As a f/a, I've found that if I turn my cell phone on right after landing, I have no problem finding service on the A/C side of the airport. Usually have a real problem finding service on the B/D side. It will waver back and forth between Sprint PCS and Analog roam until we get very close to the terminals.

What's sad is that Monte Ford presented the toughbooks at the fall management conference back in 2002 or 2003. Why the f*** did it take more than four years to roll this out?

Did you really expect something to be done in a timely manner that would assist in the efficient operation of the business?

For all of the lip service paid to technology, AA's management "team" is quite the collection of Luddites, terribly afraid they will lose whatever control they perceive they have.

Another reason for delays like this in any business seems that said ideas have to come from the proper people to be credible. Perhaps Monte Ford wasn't the right person and the delay would allow the idea to become that of the right person, racking up the brownie points. Happens all the time in the (mis)management world.

We've been "using them" for the last 2.-3 years. The problem is the airport infrastructure makes it more timely for the AMT to drive back to a Line or Hangar Redbook site for the same info.

Ruggedized Laptops are the way to go, but we need to go much further such as the ephemeral "electronic logbook" that would allow us to digitize work packages and store them locally, regionally and nationally. Quit killing trees and print ink- get rid of printers and the paper: lower the costs.

But for god's sake! Install the repeaters and antenae neccessary to cover the work area.

They have been around for years. I rarely see anybody use them. Why take on the responsibilty if it gets lost (stolen) or broken? Who wants to carry it around? Most people figure "How does it put more money in our pockets? Increased productivity has only brought us paycuts in the past, besides we get paid by the hour, if we rush around we are simply taking money out of our pockets."

The time lag in actually getting the ac at the gate, retrieving the logbook for input, inputing the open items from the logbook, reviewing the logbook, printing the FMR for the workpack, printing the workpack, reviewing both the FMR and the workpack, entering the FMR and the workpack into the data base: all of these are productivity killers.

Electronic Logbboks automate all of these functions and kill a major source of non-compliance.

The tough-books are nice but keeping all of the info onboard is where it's at.