PRESS RELEASE - LINE MAINTENANCE GOAL

The days of back to back stock splits at LUV are long over, so while you're right about some of the more senior folks having huge 401K balances, you'd better pay attention to what the junior folks are seeing as far as growth.

Also, how does the SWA contract compare for overhaul and backshop mechanics?
Just comparing line mechanics with line mechanics and anyone with 15 plus years at SWA is sitting on 500k in their 401k per a few of their mechanics, along with a much higher compensation package including benefits.

The comparison is such because the company wants line mechanics to exceed SWA in performance. Overhaul has nothing to do with this pledge to be best in class, they already are best in class for wages per the twu.

Hey Guys,

The press release mentioned "10 line stations".

Which ones plz.
NH/BB's
I would assume the class 1 stations, but nobody knows.

No one has addressed the "WHAT IF"

What if the line stations do not
meet these goals?

I think we all know what the answer is!

No one has addressed the "WHAT IF"

What if the line stations do not
meet these goals?

I think we all know what the answer is!

I'm confused. Doesn't The Worthless Union contract contain some limits on closure of line stations at the larger cities? If not, then what the hell have you guys been paying dues for all these years?

If not, then what the hell have you guys been paying dues for all these years?
Tulsa, and then when they finally came along and had their moment of clarity, MCI was brought in. When you finally get both of them on board - no small task, the company adds as many dead, retired, never hired, baggage handlers to a NMB list to make sure you don't have an election.

I'm confused. Doesn't The Worthless Union contract contain some limits on closure of line stations at the larger cities?

http://local567.twuatd.org/LibraryDocument...eement%20MR.pdf

The language is for "twu" represented workers to be staffed at stations with set guidelines. This was already grieved and lost by the twu in the 1993 mechanic layoffs. The arbitraitor ruled that as long as any twu represented worker is employed at that station, the company is in compliance with the contract. So yes, they can shut down any station. The only exception would be the few remaining protected employees who still are at the station they were at in 1983.

Next up would be contracting out. More than 50% of the work is to remain in house and the present contracting out practices will continue, but right below that, the contract states that "nothing in this article requires the maintenance of the present volume of work."

You have job security, but that can be bought out rather easily, or signed away by the twu.

And yes, the mechanics have demanded the change of this language for as long as I've been here.

Just comparing line mechanics with line mechanics and anyone with 15 plus years at SWA is sitting on 500k in their 401k per a few of their mechanics, along with a much higher compensation package including benefits.

The comparison is such because the company wants line mechanics to exceed SWA in performance. Overhaul has nothing to do with this pledge to be best in class, they already are best in class for wages per the twu.
I would assume the class 1 stations, but nobody knows.
The stations referred to are listed on Jetnet - all class ones. This announcement is essentially a continuation of the realignment of AMTs from class twos last spring. The plan then was that AA could utilize more heads at the class ones by doing more work - things like doing some of the work cards or ecos that are normally done at overhaul. This would then help free up overhaul to focus on more work like say UPS etc..

Anyway, with morale at an all time low it may be a tough sell. People are pretty much hardened against the usual threats of job cuts and BK. The company logic will then be to beat the previous years goal of 95 million - so then every year the workload will increase with less and less heads, while our pay and benefits deteriorate lower and lower when figured against inflation.

Hey it's not all bad, it's employee recognition day today! Come get your T-shirt and cookie! :up:

The stations referred to are listed on Jetnet - all class ones. This announcement is essentially a continuation of the realignment of AMTs from class twos last spring. The plan then was that AA could utilize more heads at the class ones by doing more work - things like doing some of the work cards or ecos that are normally done at overhaul. This would then help free up overhaul to focus on more work like say UPS etc..

Anyway, with morale at an all time low it may be a tough sell. People are pretty much hardened against the usual threats of job cuts and BK. The company logic will then be to beat the previous years goal of 95 million - so then every year the workload will increase with less and less heads, while our pay and benefits deteriorate lower and lower when figured against inflation.

Hey it's not all bad, it's employee recognition day today! Come get your T-shirt and cookie! :up:

Don't forget the $50 AIP payout!

Here at Southwest we had exactly 1600 mechanics on our senority list as of June 27th. (That's the most current list I have here at home)

We had 463 airplanes on the property at that time.
(472 aircraft as of today)

So that was 3.39 mechanics per airplane.

The most senior mechanic was hired 5/17/71
Most junior mechanic was hired 6/12/06

This list includes GSE, B/C check mechanics, Structures and Shops mechanics.

Here is a break down of the classifications

GSE = 119
Back Shops = 62
Structures = 338
Line RON = 335
Line Service = 231 (days and eves on the line mx)
Plant Maintenance = 15
Inspectors = 258
B/C Check Mechanics = 242

We have Mx in the following cities
DAL * hanger
HOU * hanger
LAS *
PHX * hanger
LAX *
BWI *
MDW * hanger
TPA *
MCO *
OAK *

SMF **
MCI **
BNA **
STL **
SLC **

* = Line and RON MX
** = just day/eves limited coverage

All of the above are on the Mechanic Senority list. We don't have a break down for different class mechanics.

If you want to have a look at our contract, its very small compared to others I have seen. Mind you that the majority of this was done by the Teamsters. AMFA has added very little but I feel a re-write could be on the horizon down the road just to clean up some language.

Southwest Mechanic Contract

*Personal Opinions are just mine and mine alone, not SWA Company Policy*