American Airlines Is Too Profitable for Its Own Good

WN has a higher passenger share of the LOCAL market than UA. Even though UA boards more passengers overall because it is a hub, WN carries more of the local market.

And that is precisely the problem. UA is running a hub up against a carrier that carries more of the local market than UA. The economics of carrying connecting passengers on RJs while competing against a low cost carrier who has a higher share of the local market don't work.

That same problem exists across UA's network. It is using RJs to push connecting traffic thru hubs that have significant competition in the local market. UA is having to compete for passengers at much higher costs than other carriers in other hubs and doesn't gain the revenue necessary to support its hubs.

As for AA and JFK, whether AA calls it a hub or focus city doesn't matter. What does matter is that there is no evidence of a carrier operating a competitive operation at an airport competitive with other carriers who have much larger hubs. In most non-hub cities that are in other carrier hubs, such as ATL for AA, AA's flights are to/from AA hubs. But JFK doesn't work that way. AA's flights are not largely to its hubs and are in markets competitive with other carriers that not only serve those markets but much more.

AA's ability to maintain an operation that is significantly smaller than other carriers who have larger hubs is very difficult.
You need only look at what US was at one time at LGA to see how a focus city/niche carrier strategy doesn't work in a large highly competitive market against other carrier hubs.

The difference with LAX is that no carrier is dominant and can't be because of the lack of gates or growth potential. AA, DL, UA, and WN are all within a few percent in terms of size in the local market.

robbedagain said:
fwaa   is bos considered a gate way city or focus city    i remember back in 99 aa was pretty huge in bos
Not anymore. We do have F/A and pilot base here and approximately 33 daily flights (9x DFW, 4x JFK, 3x LAX, 7x MIA, and 10x ORD) along with seasonal CDG flight. The operation is much smaller than you remember it and even smaller than in the 2009/2010 time period.

Josh

737823 said:
Not anymore. We do have F/A and pilot base here and approximately 33 daily flights (9x DFW, 4x JFK, 3x LAX, 7x MIA, and 10x ORD) along with seasonal CDG flight. The operation is much smaller than you remember it and even smaller than in the 2009/2010 time period.

Josh
Seems like someone hasnt been truthful all these years.

You claim to be in the "finance" industry, yet you just said "We Do", seems you just outed yourself and my thoughts of you lying about who you are has just come true.

What little credibility you had is now gone, 700UW: 1, Joshie: 0!

Something is rotten in Denmark.

what is untruthful about him using "we" to refer to AA's operation given that he has repeatedly said that he is a loyal AA passenger and resident of BOS?

Reactions: 1 person
We doesn't mean a passenger when referring to AA, "We" means he is part of AA.

Never heard a passenger say "We" when answering a question about AA.

700UW said:
We doesn't mean a passenger when referring to AA, "We" means he is part of AA. Never heard a passenger say "We" when answering a question about AA.
"We" as in my community and local airport.

Josh

if Josh is an AA employee, he has a whole lot more knowledge about other airlines than what an airline employee typically knows about airlines other than their own.

Further, I don't think anyone would have to look too hard to find other customers speaking with the same possessive tone about the airlines they use.

I'm not convinced you've found the "gotcha" esp. since you two seem to be locked in a continuous game of oneupsmanship (or is downtheothership?).