"American Airlines on High Alert...." (Another HB2 Tirade)

Should the FAA deny federal funds to airports in states with laws like HB2? The Human Rights Campaign has asked the FAA to do just that in North Carolina:

Attention, passengers bound for North Carolina: the Human Rights Campaign is now boarding, with a new connection between crucial federal dollars that fund the airports, and the state’s discriminatory anti-LGBT law known as House Bill 2.

The Charlotte Observer is reporting HRC President Chad Griffin wrote a letter to the Federal Aviation Administration last month, claiming H.B. 2’s “discriminatory mandate” that limits the rights of transgender people are a “direct violation” of grant requirements worth millions of dollars. That money helps the state operate and expand its airports, including the major hubs of Charlotte Douglas International and Raleigh-Durham International Airports.

The FAA’s parent agency, the Department of Transportation, issued a statement Tuesday saying it won’t even consider cutting federal funding until that lawsuit and one filed by North Carolina are resolved, according to the Observer.

“We have been coordinating with other agencies and with the Department of Justice to consider a range of policy questions raised by the North Carolina law, including the question of funding,” officials said in the statement. “As this process plays out in the courts, we are not taking action to withhold funding.”
http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2016/06/will-faa-clip-north-carolinas-financial-wings-hb2/

CaptainBigWood said:
Doug Parker speaks of  CLT as it's most profitable hub.  Not likely to go away with the confused bathroom crowd.
And, what did they used to say about PIT.  I doubt seriously that any hub is absolutely guaranteed for the future.  And, compared to AA's other hub cities, CLT is rather small potatoes.  Big banks are no longer labor intensive as they once were.  The computers have taken over whole departments of jobs.  Just need one guy/gal each shift to push the start button.

Reactions: 1 person
They never said that about PIT. Once PHL was built up PIT was doomed.

CLT is one or two in profitability and is the second largest hub with the lowest operating costs.

It's not going anywhere and AA and CLT just signed a new lease.

Yeah, that's right.  And, after AA bought out Reno Air, it was said, there is no way they can close the Reno base.  There are hundreds of flights/day there.  And, when I started with AA in Sept. 2000, there were still 8 or 10 MD-80s a day just from DFW to RNO.  There was also mainline service from LAX and ORD.  IIRC, there may even have been a flight or two from SFO.  Today there are 3xdaily from DFW (2xSat)  and 2xdaily from ORD that are mainline.  There are 5xdaily from LAX...all AE.  And, that's it.  Never say never.

And, just to stir the pot, I noticed on the DFW flight attendant bid sheet for June a lot of what I would call PHL or CLT flying.  Such as, Day 1: DFW-PHL-CLT, layover.  Day 2: CLT-PHL-CLT, layover.  Day 3: CLT-JFK-AUS-DFW.  Or, Following a BOS layover, BOS-JFK-CLT-DFW.  Not judgin'.  Just sayin'.

Just like a PMUS A330 will be flying ORD-DUB, hmm, its called cross fleeting and its been going on and is kicking into high gear this summer.

History will repeat itself. BNA and RDU were dehubbed shortly after AA made Miami a hub. Too many hubs on the east coast. I just don't see PHL and MIA dehubbing to keep CLT a hub. I don't think CLT will dehub totally but flights will shift north and south.

I really am curious if anyone looks at a map before they post in these threads? 

FWAAA said:
The fuel tax exemption is great pocket change for AA, but it's not why the CLT hub is open, and its repeal (which is unlikely) will not cause CLT to close.

Could another SE city host a hub? Sure, if enough hundreds of millions (or billions) were spent. BNA has several empty gates, but not the 30-50 that a hub would require.

RDU has torn down the concourses used by AA for its old hub and rebuilt new concourses designed for O&D and not for connections. RDU has almost as much O&D as CLT, but building 30-50 or more gates would be expensive.

I don't see BNA or RDU funding the construction of new terminals (again) for a theoretical AA hub. Both cities probably learned their lessons last time.

In short, the fuel tax issue is a tempest in a teapot. It repeal won't kill the CLT hub and its continuation won't prevent some right-sizing at CLT in the next couple of years.

exactly this. 

700UW said:
Just like a PMUS A330 will be flying ORD-DUB, hmm, its called cross fleeting and its been going on and is kicking into high gear this summer.
I wouldn't call it cross fleeting.  For whatever reason, PMUS seems to be able to make PHL-DUB work.  PMAA quit the route, just like we gave up on ORD-DEL.  We just couldn't make it work.  Good for PMUS side of the family if they can.

For all it's size, AA couldn't move a lot of people up and down the east coast. CLT does that.

BNA? Go for a stroll down the concourse and see what SW flies out of there.

Reactions: 2 people
Hard to believe the moronic comments in this thread. CLT isnt going anywhere as a hub people. Other than ATL its the only TRUE southeastern hub in the nation. Probably the biggest benefit to the AA merger was the CLT hub.

Reactions: 2 people
Black Magic said:
Hard to believe the moronic comments in this thread. CLT isnt going anywhere as a hub people. Other than ATL its the only TRUE southeastern hub in the nation. Probably the biggest benefit to the AA merger was the CLT hub.
The airline industry can change over night who knows but for now what you see is what you get. Sure some hubs will tweak aircraft types and add express service  they will also try to grow LAX but that's about it for now. Basically  get the full synergies and fine tune

Black Magic said:
So if one comments about CLT being dehubbed or reduced in size, the poster is a moron since the comment is moronic. Ok I got it now. Can't touch CLT unless it's a good touch. Moving along.

Reactions: 3 people

Latest posts