American laying off corporate travel personnel.

I worked with Mike Albers years ago when he was an agent at O'Hare. Must have over 40 years of seniority.

Normally I would agree that getting rid of people is a bad idea, but sales has always been a little bit overstaffed and reliant on face-to-face interactions versus having self-service options available for the agencies to do routine updates.

It's not unlike customers wanting to be able to manage their own bookings online versus having to always talk to a res agent.

I worked with Mike Albers years ago when he was an agent at O'Hare. Must have over 40 years of seniority.

Normally I would agree that getting rid of people is a bad idea, but sales has always been a little bit overstaffed and reliant on face-to-face interactions versus having self-service options available for the agencies to do routine updates.

It's not unlike customers wanting to be able to manage their own bookings online versus having to always talk to a res agent.

I recognize in life that jobs come and go. I just hate how corporations word those losses where they make it sound like it’s a good thing. I’m not immune myself from having lost a job. Sure it was a long time ago but it was still life altering.

See here’s that bullcrap again.

“While the decision was not easy, it reflects our broader strategy to strengthen our poultry business by optimizing operations and utilizing full available capacity at each plant,” Tyson said in a statement to CNBC.

Tyson Foods to close two chicken plants, lay off 1,700 workers
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/14/tyson-foods-layoffs-chicken-plant-closures.html?__source=iosappshare|com.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard

No way agencies come out of this stronger. The demise of the business traveler is driving this, as is the desire for airlines to spend less on GDS fees and force more agencies into NDC and direct connect, which has been a 10+ year battle.

AA's making a bold move. Industry observers are saying its going to backfire badly. As long as my pension check keeps showing up, I don't care if it works or blows up Vasu's career.

Weez, seeing all that flooding in FLL, are you OK?

Yea Bob. We got stuck overnight and I had to sleep in the back of one of our parked planes but everyone eventually got out ok. Thankfully where I parked in the Employee lot was even good. A little hairy driving through a couple of yards of flooding outside the lot though but the car made it. Here’s a few pictures. Water came up to about halfway to under our parked planes and even took the chocks out from under the wheels.

The last picture I took at around 9:30 AM and the water had started draining.

7FCA3A68-E35D-4AAC-8C42-D1B47BD6660C.jpeg7EF62132-DF1D-4D39-8FA1-398232295569.jpeg41BC145B-8AC1-457B-A6FB-28F8018BB992.jpeg64AC998B-CECD-4579-B67E-5F4CD19A8AD0.jpeg