American looking to "right-size" the company and staffing levels for the Fall and 2021

If you're an AMT, sign an AMFA card - if you haven't already.
LOL! ....... Sure!!! Send me one! I'll sign it! ......... Oh! By the way, does it matter if I retired in 2008? I'll file it with all the others I've signed over the years!

help now for a couple years or suffer through decades of concessions. I’m just going by history.
And what happened last time? Oh please help us and give back to avoid bankruptcy. And then what happened? Bankruptcy anyways. Any kind of concessions won't avoid bankruptcy.

OK Boys', this should make for some good ol' ' Back and Forth ' !

Here's the question :

What current TWU stations will be closed to AA rampers, come Oct. 1st.

(I thought I just read recently, that DSM was or just already has been re-staffed with TWU ramp)

OK Guys, Have-At-It !

Take note of the part that all the airline union contracts are all mostly equal and close to each other. This is really good going into this come Oct. In other words; for example only, lets say That AA decided to not allow a vote or the new contract to continue forward. Then AA would be sitting at a better savings level than other airlines with their new contracts already enacted. Then we would have seen United looking for concessions on their contracts to better compete with AA, then Delta would also probably follow suit with some changes as well. But, here we all are pretty much all at or around the same and they cannot use that excuse this time.
Also; This new change will help all airlines affected by this new change. Every little bit helps...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/american-airlines-others-given-ahead-083954748.html

Thought you guys would like to see this

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/american-airlines-coronavirus-travel

I found it rather informative.

I especially found this part interesting.

"In connection with this funding, UAL will issue warrants to purchase approximately 4.6 million shares of UAL common stock to the federal government."

Yes. Indeed. I found it encouraging.
Our CEO does daily videos with questions from the employees. One question was about the Load Factors currently. The LF's have tripled and even more in a lot of cases from Aprils LF's to now in May. Also said June month was looking even better. May LF was right at the same as AA just reported May in the above article. Hopefully each and every month gets better and better moving thru the summer and into the ever awaited month of Oct.

I heard >50% of employees in one of the groups agreed to reduced hours. Whether or not it's enough to avoid layoffs, who knows.
I'll be damned if I would take a financial hit for someone else's benefit.

My first responsibility is to myself and my family, not my coworkers.

For the most part coworkers are not friends, they are just people your stuck with for 8.5 hours a day (or more). People would do well to not forget that. It's not my job to see to someone else's financial security. In fact any topped out employee exceeds the median household income for the United States. They know they work for a volatile industry. If they don't have anything set back for a rainy day (especially if they live in a two income household) they are both living beyond their means and spending their money foolishly.

You don't cut hours and pay. You lay off and get your headcount to be sustainable. When things improve you call back workers as needed.
Indeed.

But if we can avoid bankruptcy with working 30 hours a week I’m all for it.
You would think people would learn but they just keep doing the same stupid thing over and over and over.

Perfect example.

You actually would trust Parker and Co to do this and not layoff. They'd reduce hours and layoff anyways. These guys are snakes and should not be trusted. Just like the Association.
And what happened last time? Oh please help us and give back to avoid bankruptcy. And then what happened? Bankruptcy anyways. Any kind of concessions won't avoid bankruptcy.
Exactly.

Mechanics have sacrificed pay and benefits in the past to maintain headcount, How has that worked out for them?

Last edited:
I think your right about bankruptcy setting off a chain reaction in airlines. We could see serious changes in how airlines are dealt with and regulated. Since this is a national disaster I think airlines will be dealt with much better than if they caused the problem themselves. If this goes on much longer all the airlines will be bankrupt. Sets up major changes in how governments handle public aviation.

yes..i believe that's why the govt. got involved right away.

the rest is up to science and nature. i'm surprised that a therapeutic drug hasn't been developed yet, but, the vaccine timetable has been moved up a bit.

need to get intls. going, those alone support 2-3 banks in hubs with a lot of intl flying.

Take note of the part that all the airline union contracts are all mostly equal and close to each other.

this is true and united has been the biggest squawker about layoffs.

it all depends on the next aid package - if there is one. if the airlines are allowed to layoff, look out. there's the cost advantage and if united does so, then everyone else will also layoff, including aa, despite parker's public hopes and wishes that aa won't need to layoff.

to me, it looks like aa has put itself in a position to layoff for oct. a few dozen ramp C/C jobs in my station were eliminated for a bid coming up - all that inside the fog of this crisis. mngt. will do the work once done by LAA C/Cs.

is this temporary (i believe the union will protest this once it occurs) or permanent (iam language)???

if permanent, there go a bunch of C/C jobs..i believe the ratio in the contract is 1 C/C for every 12 FSCs. if they get rid of FSCs, they can eliminate C/C positions.

domestic is coming back..legacy airlines need intls. back in the air.

Its clear.. the deregulation of the airlines has been a failure, to passengers and employees. Re regulation cant come soon enough...

It's been 40 years. You really think the industry (or the country) will want to go that far backward?

it all depends on the next aid package - if there is one.

That's a pretty big if. The DC insiders I've been in touch with all say it ain't happening, same thing with the journalists and talking heads I know. The airlines certainly don't want to continue waiting on a recovery that might not happen as long as international borders remain closed, so aside from those getting laid off, who is in favor of another aid package?

The only possible relief airlines might see would be taxes/fees or perhaps putting the repayable portions of the original CARES grants on the same terms as the PPP loans which were foregivable.

to me, it looks like aa has put itself in a position to layoff for oct. a few dozen ramp C/C jobs in my station were eliminated for a bid coming up - all that inside the fog of this crisis. mngt. will do the work once done by LAA C/Cs.

is this temporary (i believe the union will protest this once it occurs) or permanent (iam language)???

if permanent, there go a bunch of C/C jobs..i believe the ratio in the contract is 1 C/C for every 12 FSCs. if they get rid of FSCs, they can eliminate C/C positions.

i need clarify...a few dozen specific C/C jobs were eliminated on a bid. the result will be all those C/Cs going into 'pool'..and the rest is up for debate.

those former specific C/C jobs will be done by mngt.

That's a pretty big if. The DC insiders I've been in touch with all say it ain't happening, same thing with the journalists and talking heads I know. The airlines certainly don't want to continue waiting on a recovery that might not happen as long as international borders remain closed, so aside from those getting laid off, who is in favor of another aid package?

The only possible relief airlines might see would be taxes/fees or perhaps putting the repayable portions of the original CARES grants on the same terms as the PPP loans which were foregivable.

fair enough, no argument here...could be lots of scenarios playing out.

i did see that lufthansa and the german govt. agreed to a 10€ billion aid package. i do believe this is somewhat a factor, all the way around the globe.

hard to walk away from an airline(s) that you have already pumped money into.