American Opposes Pilots on China Flights

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
DALLAS (AP) -- American Airlines has rebuffed a demand by its pilots' union to immediately negotiate terms of the carrier's proposed service between Dallas and China.

On Tuesday, the company made a counterproposal to the Allied Pilots Association, asking that most of the union's requests be discussed instead during regular negotiations on the pilots contract, which are in their early stages.

Sue Gordon, a spokeswoman for American, said the union sought concessions that were unrelated to the China route and would have ripple effects on other contracts and airline operations.

This month, the pilots' union gave American a proposal that included starting the pilot's workday upon signing in for duty and letting pilots fill otherwise empty cabin jumpseats.

Union leaders called them "no-cost items," but airline officials say workday changes could increase American's labor costs.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061129/american_ai...china.html?.v=1

This was a stupid attempt by the pilots union. Their arrogance and willingness to step on the other labor groups surfaced again.

From the "what goes arond comes around" files, and somewhat loosely (but accurately, as to intent) paraphrased from thousands of APFA and AA F/A statments and comments.

A union has only the obligation to fight for everything it can get for its own members.

Karma sucks...for some...doesn't it?

cheerio

This was a stupid attempt by the pilots union. Their arrogance and willingness to step on the other labor groups surfaced again.

Exactly how are they stepping on other works groups this time? I dont doubt that they would but I'd like to get some clarification on this.

From what I heard from an AAF/A the FAs would still have priority for those seats, if there was no FA the pilot could use them, as for starting the workday on sign-in, well that only makes sense, why shouldnt they get paid when they have to be there?

I say good for the pilots to get something out of the company, why shouldnt they? Who says they have to be as dumb as the rest of us.

Exactly how are they stepping on other works groups this time? I dont doubt that they would but I'd like to get some clarification on this.

From what I heard from an AAF/A the FAs would still have priority for those seats, if there was no FA the pilot could use them, as for starting the workday on sign-in, well that only makes sense, why shouldnt they get paid when they have to be there?

I say good for the pilots to get something out of the company, why shouldnt they? Who says they have to be as dumb as the rest of us.

Another item was Deadhead seating priority over flight attendants/other workgroups. Offering a reciprical jumpseat in the cockpit would be great but they only want the agreement one way. The way that only benefits them.

Another item was Deadhead seating priority over flight attendants/other workgroups. Offering a reciprical jumpseat in the cockpit would be great but they only want the agreement one way. The way that only benefits them.

FAA reg. An FA isn't listed as permitted in the cockpit as a rider. I've heard some will allow it under the guise of education, but a seat in back must be available which makes the value essentially worthless.

There is also another issue. the latest amateur "Logbook Cop" pretty much ended allowing FA's in the CP jumpseat for the next 50 years. There is also the issue of the claim of "our" jumpseat in back (a cabin crewmember seat).
The Captain signs for the airplane and is in command and has the end responsibility. I've always giggled at the claims of "my cabin", "seat", "galley". There always seems to be more real estate owned inflight than any FO like me could imagine or is listed on the paperwork :p

FAA reg. An FA isn't listed as permitted in the cockpit as a rider. I've heard some will allow it under the guise of education, but a seat in back must be available which makes the value essentially worthless.

There is also another issue. the latest amateur "Logbook Cop" pretty much ended allowing FA's in the CP jumpseat for the next 50 years. There is also the issue of the claim of "our" jumpseat in back (a cabin crewmember seat).
The Captain signs for the airplane and is in command and has the end responsibility. I've always giggled at the claims of "my cabin", "seat", "galley". There always seems to be more real estate owned inflight than any FO like me could imagine or is listed on the paperwork :p

I think F/A's are more disturbed about the deadheading issue than the jumpseat issue.

Talk about arrogance, they(apa) want free high speed internet access on layovers...

Talk about arrogance, they(apa) want free high speed internet access on layovers...

Is there a reason for wanting the free internet, like for getting on Jetnet or APA website while on layovers, or is it just wanted as a free perk?

They need it for their operational duties. Yeah, right...Have you ever gone to our long MIA hotel and seen one of our pilots working on their free internet? Yes, maybe on their side busineses.

Is there a reason for wanting the free internet, like for getting on Jetnet or APA website while on layovers, or is it just wanted as a free perk?

Like most places, there is much of our information we deal with that is web based. Scheduling, weather, maintenance along with security info are just some of the items. Security info and company reports are best left off public hotel or internet cafes for security reasons.

One example, the company doesn't issue or permit the pilots to print our bids in operations. A 4 day trip with one's own PC makes dealing with that easier when they're issued.

Email with the company in weather events is another gain for the company. When the system goes down, the phones tend to follow.

If anything, I'd just move it up on the priority list when choosing layover hotels. It can take the place of "available shopping", which I'd move way down the list.

Hope this helped