American-US Airways merger proposal expected to come soon

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
American-US Airways merger proposal expected to come soon

DALLAS (Dallas News) - The merger discussions between American Airlines Inc. and US Airways Inc. may heat up to a boil this month.

Mod note: Please do not post full articles. A link & fair use excerpt is fine.

Reactions: 2 people
<<<That meeting was supposed to have taken place this past Tuesday at the midtown Manhattan offices of American&rsquo;s bankruptcy attorney, about five miles from the U.S. Bankruptcy Court where American and parent AMR Corp. have been slogging through their Chapter 11 bankruptcy case since last Nov. 29.
However, the meeting was postponed after superstorm Sandy roared through New York and New Jersey, flooding lower Manhattan, closing the courthouse, the New York Stock Exchange and many other buildings and disrupting lives and commerce in New York.>>>

Is the reporter saying that the attorneys and bankers involved in the meeting, most of whom are residents of the New York area, didn't abandon their homes and families with the storm approaching, and relocate the meeting? Didn't they have the sense to read and heed USA320Pilot's timely thread, "If I was Doug Parker," which called for the meeting to be relocated? What is the world coming to?

Am I missing something with your post above that contains a link to a topic of another thread?
Call him clueless if you will, but I'm willing to bet that he brings home a bigger payday than yourself as well as most that belong to this forum.
Do I like and agree with everything that he does, absolutely not. Like it or not, he is the one that got the industry consolidation ball rolling, and the industry needed for that to happen. I prefer that he does somthing in order to better the position of US instead of sitting idle while the other airlines push US out of the marketplace.

He started the consolidation ball rolling? Like united and capital? Delta and western? Southwest and muse air? Yea, he is such a prodigy..... Such a visionary that guy..

Have you noticed Delta is starting mainline flights between lga and pit?

Your wonder boy couldn't make a go of LGA and seems stuck in a rut absent major help from elsewhere...

Did he invent the Internet too?

The only consolidation he's touched is still incomplete.

Am I missing something with your post above that contains a link to a topic of another thread?
Call him clueless if you will, but I'm willing to bet that he brings home a bigger payday than yourself as well as most that belong to this forum.
Do I like and agree with everything that he does, absolutely not. Like it or not, he is the one that got the industry consolidation ball rolling, and the industry needed for that to happen. I prefer that he does somthing in order to better the position of US instead of sitting idle while the other airlines push US out of the marketplace.

Yeah you are missing something, wings. My post was not meant to Doug Parker your CEO, but I was refering to a post where USA320Pilot wanted to be Doug Parker! I'm referring to him as DP.

He started the consolidation ball rolling? Like united and capital? Delta and western? Southwest and muse air? Yea, he is such a prodigy..... Such a visionary that guy..

Have you noticed Delta is starting mainline flights between lga and pit?

Your wonder boy couldn't make a go of LGA and seems stuck in a rut absent major help from elsewhere...

Did he invent the Internet too?

The only consolidation he's touched is still incomplete.
Your in no position to talk about poor leadership. I seem to recall that AA "unloaded" a bunch of JFK flying over to B6, correct?
How many " Boy Wonders" has AA gone thru in the last 10 years? Where did they lead you? Into BK, correct? Who is your visionary? Are you one of the ones looking to dust off Crandall so he can undo your mess?

Yeah you are missing something, wings. My post was not meant to Doug Parker your CEO, but I was refering to a post where USA320Pilot wanted to be Doug Parker! I'm referring to him as DP.
Gotcha, my bad on that one.

uh...what consolidation did he accomplish, pray tell?

With all the BK(s) US Airway went through post 9/11 and 3 restructuring agreements, shouldn't they havea stand alone business plan by now that is forward moving??? Or is the only strategy for US Airways since emerging from BK in 2005 is "mergers"?????

What U labor should be doing is pushing to fire Doug Parker and management. Maybe new blood would bring in new culture, and folks would pay attention to what US Airways might be selling.

Reactions: 3 people
Your in no position to talk about poor leadership. I seem to recall that AA "unloaded" a bunch of JFK flying over to B6, correct?
How many " Boy Wonders" has AA gone thru in the last 10 years? Where did they lead you? Into BK, correct? Who is your visionary? Are you one of the ones looking to dust off Crandall so he can undo your mess?

You got me scratching my head with your response.. You first spew about DP's industry prowess in being the mother of consolidation, then back track to "poor leadership" I've never graced the pulpit proclaiming greatness from our leadership, unlike you. Both Carty and Arpey in my opinion were the wrong guys for the job. Carty has stayed in the leadership positions post AA, but look at Arpey... Fund manager.....

As for B6, well yes, they've done well with their lower cost structure, product, AND market.. (We'll do well to merge with them!) imagine if B6 had set up shop in PHL.. You guys would have been gone for about 5 years now.

But back to your industry prodigy... How is it Delta can take two past LCC strong holds and make them work WITH a higher cost structure???

PIT and LGA... I read somewhere that DAL is now larger than LCC in PIT. NOW, DAL mainline is entering the LGA-PIT market.. How long will USExpress hang in there? Boy, wait until DAL gets the 717's on line...

As for our visionary, Horton is making some moves Arpey never did. The fetal position in corner with his thumb in his mouth doesn't appear to be his style.. He hasn't gotten a honeymoon period due to the timing of the BK and his re-appearance.. His history wearing the AMR senior management underwear is biting him-right or wrong- right now. Our future, in design will be made public in time.. I only hope that there is nothing more than a code share with LCC in the NYC market.

So, wings, If you're going to make claims, try and stand by them.. Don't try to change the subject to something we already know. AA has had a leadership team that has failed, and we are in BK. You've got a firm grip on the obvious my friend...

Everyone said US was finished when SWA moved in but the reality is SWA has made cutback in phl they all said us was finished back in the 2nd ch11 but here we are 7 yrs later though the merger may not be complete but US is making money AA has been losing money for the last 10 yrs B6 has stated as has Alaska air that they are not interested in a merger. now i must ask if swa cant make US go away i have doubts that b6 would. bottom line is the creditors are the ones who will decide the merger for aa and us we are just along for the ride

Reactions: 4 people
From a former AWA non-union employee's perspective, Doug has done more than respectable job keeping AWA afloat, and making the marrige of AWA and US Airways PROFITABLE. That being said, had I been a union employee my perspective would probably depend on which side of the fence I was on (AWA or US Airways). And I doubt the fact union contracts at the merged US Airways are still not settled are completely Doug's fault.

How well would have the Boy Wonder done if its employee rates were industry norm?

Kinda like being the tallest midget eh?

Reactions: 1 person

Latest posts