Amfa - Plant Maintenance Speaks Out

TWU informer

Veteran
Nov 4, 2003
March 2, 2004

To My Fellow Technicians at American Airlines:

My name is George Hellmer and I am a Plant Maintenance Technician at Northwest Airlines. I have been a Plant Maintenance Technician since 1990. I was recently asked if I felt that switching unions from the IAM to AMFA was the right choice. In a nutshell the answer is “Yesâ€￾. I have not once doubted that I made the right choice in switching to the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association.

Originally, I was one of the guys who wanted to stick with the IAM. As a technician there is a natural instinct to repair verses replace. Well, as we all have found out at one point or another, some things cannot be repaired. I ask each of you to read the AMFA Constitution and then read your current union’s Constitution. The Constitution is the operator’s manual of the union. Which Constitution is more user friendly, easy to read and understand?

Rumors have been spread about AMFA’s track record and that AMFA does not care about anyone but an A&P certificated technician. Well I cannot deny that there have been layoffs at NWA. This is a result of the tragic events of September 11th, along with the struggling economy. You can look around and see almost every carrier has laid off workers and continues to struggle to return to profitability. This epidemic is not unique to AMFA represented carriers.

If you believe AMFA will not represent anyone but A&P technicians, I can tell you this has not been my experience. I was elected to be one of the Shop Committee (Grievance Committee) members in 1999, representing over 2,000 members in one building. In late 2000 I was elected to be an Airline Representative. At the time there were over 5000 technicians, most of them A&P Technicians, that I was responsible for. I currently work in DTW and am a shop representative. I have seen a cleaner run and be elected to be the President of an AMFA local. What I am trying to say is that my experience under AMFA has been that everyone is equally represented, and has the chance to represent the membership fully.

I close with this: If you do the research and make an educated choice in the Union you want to represent you, you will have made the wise choice. I know I did.

George Hellmer
NWA
Plant Maintenance Technician
AMFA Local 5

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Again, if everything you claim is true, then why does AMFA represent eight (8) airlines?

And how many TWU card drives are happening at those carriers?

The way I see it, the RLA allows for changes in union representation, and I don't see any AMFA represeted carrier's mechanics seeking the TWU? Do you?

Yeah your're right!!! :shock:

All the other agreements that have historically represented Auto Shop and PM mechanics provided for license and skill pay even while working in a non-A&P area. Some were there from previous layoff or decided to grow old indoors for a few years.

All the AMFA - supporters :wacko: I know have historically cried about this and pledged to rid the industry of anything other than pure A&P class and craft. That means dumping all the "cling-ons"(amfa term) Auto,PM mech., Fleet service, parts cleaners etc. Amfa :rolleyes: has tried unsucessfully for years to dump parts cleaners, except during election time.

Now here you stand AMFA, with open arms, to all, give us your poor, your amfa needy work groups should embrace you.

Paaa-UUUUUKKKE!!!! :eye:

At United, the AMFA filed a lawsuit in Federal Court over the refusal by United to recognize AMFA as the representative of all parties recognized by the NMB as Maintenance & Related.

At AA, the TWU agreed to eliminate the Fuelers as a classification under the Maintenance & Related-while giving those jobs to the ramp.

At AA, the TWU agreed to eliminate the Title II Cabin Cleaners as a classification under the Maintenance & Related-while giving those jobs to the ramp.

At AA, the TWU agreed to eliminate the Utility Cleaners as a Line classification under the Maitnenance & Related-while allowing those jobs to be outsourced.

At AA, the TWU agreed to eliminate the Building Cleaners as a Line classification under the Maintenance & Related- while allowing those jobs to be outsourced.

At AA, the TWU agreed to eliminate the AMTs' for deicing, while giving those jobs to the ramp.

At AA, the TWU agreed to eliminate the pushbacks for departure aircraft, while giving those jobs to the ramp.

March 31, 2003

James C. Little

Administrative Vice President, Air Transport Division

Transport Workers Union of America, AFL-CIO

1791 Hurstview Dr.

Hurst, Texas 76054

Re: Summary of the 2003 Contract changes

This will confirm our understanding reached during the negotiations leading up to the agreement signed on (DOS), 2003. During these negotiations, we discussed many changes intended to achieve sustained long-term financial relief from the current provisions of the TWU labor agreements. This letter is intended to recap the majority of the agreed upon changes. Changes are listed by Title groups: I (Mechanics and Related), II (Facilities, Automotive, Cabin Cleaners, Utility and Building Cleaners), III (Fleet Service), IV (Fuelers), V (Stock Clerks), T/S (Technical Specials), Disp (Dispatch), Metro (Meteorologists), Sim Techs (Simulator Technicians) and Instrs (Ground School and Pilot Instructors).

Pay Related

Effective May 1, 2003:

§ Base wage pay reduction, varying percentages (all groups)

§ Elimination of all longevity pay(I & II)

§ Modified longevity pay, start after 17 years, current rates (III, IV, V,T/S)

§ Reduced Sim Tech Coordinator premium by $.75/hour

§ Reduced Sim Tech Skill pay to $.10/hour

§ Reduced Pilot Simulator Instructors premium to $10.00/month

§ Reduced Ground School/Pilot Simulator Instructors standardization coordinator pay to $150.00/month

§ Reduced Pilot/Simulator Instructors work unit experience premium

§ Modified shift differential to $.01, $.02, $.03 (I, II, III, V, T/S, Sim Techs)

§ Elimination of weekend differential (I, II, V, at AFW, TUL, MCI)

§ Elimination of midnight skill retention premium (Sim Techs)

§ Training pay at straight time for off shift and day off (I, II)

§ Elimination of penalty lunch payment (I, II, III, IV, V)

§ Elimination of OT meal allowance (I, II, III, IV, V, T/S)

§ Penalty hours pay for actual time worked @ 1.5x (I, II, III, IV, V, T/S)

§ Reduce OT rate from 2x to 1.5x (I, II, III, IV, V)

§ Work 40 hrs to reach OT rate for day off overtime (III, V)

§ Elimination of debrief pay (T/S)

§ Elimination of Stock Clerk driver premium

§ Elimination of AMT premiums when displacing OSM employee

§ Elimination of Early Call-In guarantees (I, II, III, IV)

§ Elimination of short turn penalty due to shift bids (Art 21 d) (III, IV)

§ Elimination of CC premium when not working as CC (III,V)

Work Rules/ Other changes and effective dates:

Effective April 15, 2003:

§ Combine Systems/Structures into Generals (Title I)

§ Added 7 day labor loan provision (Bases only)

§ Increased AMT productivity through multiple work assignments/training

§ Holidays reduced from 10 to 5. The five (5) observed holidays will be: New Year’s Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day (all groups)

o Holidays- 5 days with roll @ 1.5x (I, II, III, IV, V, T/S, Sim Techs)

o Holidays- 5 days (no roll) @ 1.5x (Disp, Metro, Instrs)

Effective May 1, 2003

§ Reduce annual SK accrual to 5 days @ 100% (all except I & II)

§ Reduce annual SK accrual to 5 days, 1st two at 50% (I & II)

Effective May 3, 2003

§ 4/10s at Overhaul docks/TUL, duration of agreement

Effective within sixty (60) days of ratification:

§ Outsource RON/Ultraclean (II/III)

§ One time System protection credit for headcount reductions realized from work rule changes (all groups except Metro)

Effective thirty (30) days from ratification:

§ Reduce uniform provisioning and eliminate laundering (I, II, III, IV, V)

§ Outsource stores function at HDQ (6 Stock Clerks)

§ Relocate 4 Stock Clerks at ORD/GEM to ORD/M & E hanger

Effective as soon as practicable after DOS:

§ Change work schedule to 5 on, 2 off (T/S)

§ Reduced VC accrual one week (all groups)

§ Modify Crew Chief ratios:

AMT- 1:11.5

FSC- 1:9

Fuelers- eliminated ratio

Stores- 1:12

Benefits:

§ Medical & Dental plan modifications (all groups) Effective 1/1/04

§ SLOA Benefit Coverage reduced from 24 to12 months (all groups)

Effective 5/01/03

§ Eliminate STD Plan (all groups) Effective 1/1/04

§ Discontinue subsidized medical benefits RIF’d employees (all groups)

Effective 4/15/03

§ Modify IOD to 10 days (all groups) Effective 5/01/03 with the following transition:

o If the injury was incurred prior to 4/15/03, remaining applicable salary continuation through the end of the month up to the current 80 days

o If the injury is incurred on 4/15/03 or before 4/30/03, salary continuation for 10 days up to the current 80 days

o If the injury is incurred after 5/01/03, salary continuation for 10 days

Sincerely,

James B. Weel

Managing Director

Employee Relations

Agreed to this date:

James C Little

Transport Workers Union, AFL-CIO

Mr. Heller,
The Vermont Plan was very clear. The loss of all Title II jobs. fueler jobs, bus drivers, fleetservice and AMT jobs at over haul bases would number in the thousands.
At the AMFA represented companies, the aircraft mech can displace a plant maintenance mechanic. The aircraft mech with time and passing a test can bump a facilities mech. AMFA can not promise Title II that will not happen to us at American.
The Amfa suppoters are willing to give-up Tulsa, AFW and Kansas City in order to gain better benefits. These individuals are feeding on their own kind. They are willing to let the companies give work to contractors who pay less to their workers. AMFA represents 8 airlines. The contractor companies will grow to meet the demands for all this out sourced work of these 8 airlines. I am thinking of the effect that will have on the fair market wage value of the aircraft mechanic. Negotiate a contract with that in mind.
The aircraft mechs out number Title II and fuelers. The AMFA supporters have not convinced the majority of their own to pull off this petition for representation. These individuals never needed us before. They have gone to the NMB to exclude members. They have writen letters to exclude members. They have had Title II members sign cards and vote for AMFA and within two weeks contract out their jobs.
With Amfa's rationale, I did not give-up 17.5% of my wages. I saved 82.5% of my wages. I did not give-up one week of vacation. I saved five weeks. And so on down the line. What I did not give-up was the right to negotiate. The three Unions retained financial advisors. The term that stands out most in my mind is"the company is bleeding." I had no doubt that Bankruptcy was inevitable and very close. I looked at other airlines. I did not want that to happen to us.
AMFA said we would be better off in bankruptcy. Let he judge decide our fate. I never heard of the financial advisor AMFA used to make that decision. It easy to take a risk if there are no concequences to suffer. Either way it is put, The Monday Quarterback would have made the right call.
I will not try to stop, the officials that we elected, from doing their best to represent all of us. I'm not willing to give away the 60 years that our brothers and sister before us fought so hard to gain. They worked unseflfishly and proudly to pass on to the younger membership what we have today. It is now our turn at bat, to step up to the plate, to respect the gains that we inherit.
No to the short sightedness of AMFA. No to the stand alone association. No to the none politically active association. No to AMFA.
8.5 years Title II
15.5 years Title II
24 years TWU
Ricardo Partida

TWU TITLE II said:
Mr. Heller,
The Vermont Plan was very clear. The loss of all Title II jobs. fueler jobs, bus drivers, fleetservice and AMT jobs at over haul bases would number in the thousands.
At the AMFA represented companies, the aircraft mech can displace a plant maintenance mechanic. The aircraft mech with time and passing a test can bump a facilities mech. AMFA can not promise Title II that will not happen to us at American.
The Amfa suppoters are willing to give-up Tulsa, AFW and Kansas City in order to gain better benefits. These individuals are feeding on their own kind. They are willing to let the companies give work to contractors who pay less to their workers. AMFA represents 8 airlines. The contractor companies will grow to meet the demands for all this out sourced work of these 8 airlines. I am thinking of the effect that will have on the fair market wage value of the aircraft mechanic. Negotiate a contract with that in mind.
The aircraft mechs out number Title II and fuelers. The AMFA supporters have not convinced the majority of their own to pull off this petition for representation. These individuals never needed us before. They have gone to the NMB to exclude members. They have writen letters to exclude members. They have had Title II members sign cards and vote for AMFA and within two weeks contract out their jobs.
With Amfa's rationale, I did not give-up 17.5% of my wages. I saved 82.5% of my wages. I did not give-up one week of vacation. I saved five weeks. And so on down the line. What I did not give-up was the right to negotiate. The three Unions retained financial advisors. The term that stands out most in my mind is"the company is bleeding." I had no doubt that Bankruptcy was inevitable and very close. I looked at other airlines. I did not want that to happen to us.
AMFA said we would be better off in bankruptcy. Let he judge decide our fate. I never heard of the financial advisor AMFA used to make that decision. It easy to take a risk if there are no concequences to suffer. Either way it is put, The Monday Quarterback would have made the right call.
I will not try to stop, the officials that we elected, from doing their best to represent all of us. I'm not willing to give away the 60 years that our brothers and sister before us fought so hard to gain. They worked unseflfishly and proudly to pass on to the younger membership what we have today. It is now our turn at bat, to step up to the plate, to respect the gains that we inherit.
No to the short sightedness of AMFA. No to the stand alone association. No to the none politically active association. No to AMFA.
8.5 years Title II
15.5 years Title II
24 years TWU
Ricardo Partida
Nice job Ricardo!! Nice to have you aboard fighting against amfa!!

Just to clerify. . .Delle has now been quoted as saying "that AA would have been better off in bankruptcy"!

Kind of makes what you have posted ring that much clearer doesn't it??

Keep up the good work and keep on fighting!!

TWU TITLE II said:
Mr. Heller,
8.5 years Title II
15.5 years Title II
24 years TWU
Ricardo Partida
Ricardo,

The Amfa suppoters are willing to give-up Tulsa, AFW and Kansas City in order to gain better benefits.

Which AMFA supporter ever said that Tulsa, AFW or MCI should be given up? Just mor lies from a PR firm that the twu hired to protect their dues sucking machine.

They have had Title II members sign cards and vote for AMFA and within two weeks contract out their jobs.

Who laid off these Title II employees? AMFA? Get in touch with reality Ricardo. The company lays people off. The union protects them through contract language. Now tell me where the contract language was at AA that prevented the company from farming out Cabin Cleaners on overnight aircraft. Oh, that's right. The TWU allowed this to happen.

With Amfa's rationale, I did not give-up 17.5% of my wages. I saved 82.5% of my wages. I did not give-up one week of vacation. I saved five weeks. And so on down the line. What I did not give-up was the right to negotiate.

OK, let's continue the AMFA rationale shall we? Where are the snap back clauses that should be in our concession?
And for your information... we did give away our right to negotiate. Just read the judge's ruling that says that sonny hall/jim little can ratify the contract without a membership vote!

"Elected"? Who? sonny hall, jim little, gary yingst, bobby gless? You might not be "willing" to give away 60 years that our brothers and sisters before us fought so hard to gain but it was done! little gave away the farm without a fight and we will have no snap backs. Why? What did we inherit from the twu except erosion of our profession? Step up to the plate you say? How can we do that when the twu is not even in the stadium let alone the plate? I would rather pick up the ball that the twu fumbled and run forward towards the company's end zone instead of taking a safety in ours.

It was nice playing "Point-Counter-Point" with you Ricardo. I thank you for posting under your real name and wish you and our profession the best. And with the twu that will not happen. GO AMFA! :up:

TWU TITLE II said:
Mr. Heller,
8.5 years Title II
15.5 years Title II
24 years TWU
Ricardo Partida

The Vermont Plan was nothing more than an outrageous threat. The company could claim that they would seek the moon, it does not mean they would have recieved it, all the court could of done is abrogate the contract, and we could have struck. Thats what unions do, they fight, maybe someday you will find out that being in a union involves more than just paying dues.

At the AMFA represented companies, the aircraft mech can displace a plant maintenance mechanic. The aircraft mech with time and passing a test can bump a facilities mech. AMFA can not promise Title II that will not happen to us at American

Neither can the TWU. THats their contract language, language that they inherited from the AFL-CIO affiliated IAM. We have no such language in our agreement and if Title I had wanted it what would stop them from getting it?

The Amfa suppoters are willing to give-up Tulsa, AFW and Kansas City in order to gain better benefits. These individuals are feeding on their own kind.

Rediculous. Line guys would be displaced by overhaul. As far as feeding on their own kind please look at the TWUs history of B-scale, and the outsourcing of whole departments. Talk about feeding on their own!

They are willing to let the companies give work to contractors who pay less to their workers.

And the TWU is willing to lower wages to the level of those contractors, supposedly in order to keep the work.

AMFA represents 8 airlines.

AMFA, unlike the TWU does not represent any airline, it reprents M&R at 8 airlines.

The contractor companies will grow to meet the demands for all this out sourced work of these 8 airlines. I am thinking of the effect that will have on the fair market wage value of the aircraft mechanic. Negotiate a contract with that in mind.

Once AMFA finishes organizing the airlines then they can go after all those service providers too. Then we can work together as a class and craft to restore our wages. This will never happen with the TWU where the average member earns just $15/hr.

The aircraft mechs out number Title II and fuelers. The AMFA supporters have not convinced the majority of their own to pull off this petition for representation.

Wrong, AMFA had just about 60% of title I over a month ago. However I have to admit that the majority of Title II did not submit cards with the exception of the Northeast and SJU, union country, there the card rate was very high.

These individuals never needed us before. They have gone to the NMB to exclude members. They have writen letters to exclude members. They have had Title II members sign cards and vote for AMFA and within two weeks contract out their jobs.

How could AMFA have done that? Could you provide evidence to back up that statement?

With Amfa's rationale, I did not give-up 17.5% of my wages. I saved 82.5% of my wages. I did not give-up one week of vacation. I saved five weeks. And so on down the line. What I did not give-up was the right to negotiate.

???????

With the TWU you do not have the right to negotiate, you dont even have the right to pick who negotiates and you dont even have the right to observe negotiations!

The three Unions retained financial advisors.

And the TWU hired the same guys that the company hired to try and sell the concessions to the union leaders.

The term that stands out most in my mind is"the company is bleeding." I had no doubt that Bankruptcy was inevitable and very close. I looked at other airlines. I did not want that to happen to us.

Perhaps, but that is nothing new in this cyclical industry. Things may turn around for the company in a short period of time. However now we are all bleeding and we will continue to bleed until at least 2009. Unlike the company however our bleeding is real, it is not from intangible, unidentifyable assetts like Goodwill-$988 million, or from the fact that we prepaid leases or accellerated depreciation or any of the other accounting tricks that are perfectly legal and normally used to reduce the company's tax burden.

AMFA said we would be better off in bankruptcy. Let he judge decide our fate. I never heard of the financial advisor AMFA used to make that decision. It easy to take a risk if there are no concequences to suffer.

Its also easy to ask others to take a cut that you dont have to take, especially when the company is paying you monies that you shouldnt be accepting.

Either way it is put, The Monday Quarterback would have made the right call.
I will not try to stop, the officials that we elected, from doing their best to represent all of us.

But were they representing you, or their own interests? Besides the members never voted for Jim Little or Sonny Hall.

I'm not willing to give away the 60 years that our brothers and sister before us fought so hard to gain.

Well we just did, thanks to the TWU. Al Blackman, the only employee who was here beforethe TWU was on the property said, as he filled out an AMFA card "We had more 60 years ago before we got the TWU than we have now".

They worked unseflfishly and proudly to pass on to the younger membership what we have today. It is now our turn at bat, to step up to the plate, to respect the gains that we inherit.

So what are saying? We should put in a B-scale again? What have we inherited?

Mr. MacTiernan, Mr. Owens,
I have to clear up an error in my sign off. I have 8.5 years in title III.
Please note the petition AMFA filed with the NMB, 4NMB,1965 WL 1841(NMB), a letter MR. Lee Sheeham wrote to the NMB August 11,1994 at United arguing that AMFA should not to represent cleaners" The professional lives and collective bargaining aspirations of skilled craftsmen cannot be dictated by individuals who preponderantly wipe tray tables, dispose of trash or clean the exterior of an aircraft with a mop. Forcing this unnaturual lliance guarantees instability." and the cleaner representative that had to obtain a temporary restaining order to remain on the negotiating committee to represent her people at NWA. these are the three strikes that affirm I my mind the fact that AMFA needs and wants only my vote.
We do live in a cyclic industry. We were all sitting fat with a great contract (my own belief). The contract In 83 was the birthplace of "B" scale. That makes all the TWU members hired on or about that time have senority of about 20 years. I do not believe that is a bad thing.
9-11 put a whole new prospective on cyclic industry. The airline industry suffered in my opinion the worst. I liken the AMFA philosophy to that of the Monday Morning quarterback and the traveling magic elixir salesman. With the saying of "if AMFA was there this would happen and AMFA would have done this instead of that." And take a swig of this magic AMFA elixir and all of you ailments will be gone. The claims of better represtation have not, in AMFA's history,been sustantiated. There fore gentlemen, I stand firm with my brothers and sisters of the TWU at American Airlines.
Title II TWU

But why has every contract since the B-scale of 1983 been a recurrence of that same concept? Every contract has been concessionary either to those who have yet to be hired or those who are currently employed, or both.

Latest posts

Back