AMR Hits Another 52 Week Low

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
Visit site
AMR stock bottomed out at 19.96 today before slowly beginning to rise again, and has risen about 30 cents since the dip.

Personally, I see this stock at about 8 bucks and change by next spring.

AMR stock bottomed out at 19.96 today before slowly beginning to rise again, and has risen about 30 cents since the dip.

If it does go way down as you suggest due to negotiations or some other factor there is a pretty good chance I will
buy some of it. :rolleyes: before everyone ratifies their contracts and it shoots way up like last time.

It pays to not get mad during negotiations but instead to keep your eyes open for Oppertunities that could present themselves. :rolleyes: during shuch a time.

I wish I would have bought a ton of AA stock when it was a $2.00 a share. :(

Great! Another buying opportunity - just like early 2003. That worked out very well. :up:

AMR is certainly not alone; lots of airline stocks are plunging. CAL is just above its 52 week low and JBLU is crashing to new lows for the last couple of days. Nearly every other airline stock is down substantially, although the recently bankrupt aren't yet hitting their 52 week (or all-time) lows.

Republic and Skywest are two examples of why a sale of Eagle makes no sense and probably won't happen. On Thursday, both were up 5%+ on higher earnings when nearly every other airline stock was down. Today, both are down less than most other airlines. Guaranteed profits to independent regionals (cost plus contracts - fee per departure) makes no sense when AMR can fly Eagle commuter flights at cost.

Great! Another buying opportunity - just like early 2003. That worked out very well.

There will be a downside from dilution after the next management payoffs. In addition to losing some of the value purchased now, that should really piss off the FL Group.

Tell you what - I'll buy your stock from you at market late next June.

I wish I would have bought a ton of AA stock when it was a $2.00 a share. :(

I did, at 1.35 and was damned lucky at that price, enough so that I actually took out an equity loan on my house to buy a sizeable chunk. Later, reselling less than a quarter of what I bought paid off the equity loan, my truck loan and I was able to dump a nice pile onto my first mortgage and knock 8 years off the pay-off.

It can indeed be a deal if done right, or if you get lucky. I do believe it will be the union messes that will drive it down so here's hoping you all have some spare cash laying around to take advantage. My best intuition is that it will happen just in time for everyone to be getting tax refunds and it will be a nice place to put it and watch it climb again.

Unless of course AMR decides to bankrupt to kill off the unions or some stooopid nonsense like that.

It seems odd that, with all the idiots at the helm of this company, couple with the fact that I can't stand them, that I should have made so much $$$ off of them. What slays me is the stock I had left over, while worth more than I paid for it certainly, is still worth 50% less than it should be right now. Less than a year ago it was trading at $41 and look at it now.

Good luck to all you day traders!!!

Whatever. I'm sure the exec's will find a way to get it up by then so they can cash in on another windfall. Just wait and see. :angry:

I did, at 1.35 and was damned lucky at that price, enough so that I actually took out an equity loan on my house to buy a sizeable chunk. Later, reselling less than a quarter of what I bought paid off the equity loan, my truck loan and I was able to dump a nice pile onto my first mortgage and knock 8 years off the pay-off.

It can indeed be a deal if done right, or if you get lucky. I do believe it will be the union messes that will drive it down so here's hoping you all have some spare cash laying around to take advantage. My best intuition is that it will happen just in time for everyone to be getting tax refunds and it will be a nice place to put it and watch it climb again.

Unless of course AMR decides to bankrupt to kill off the unions or some stooopid nonsense like that.

It seems odd that, with all the idiots at the helm of this company, couple with the fact that I can't stand them, that I should have made so much $$$ off of them. What slays me is the stock I had left over, while worth more than I paid for it certainly, is still worth 50% less than it should be right now. Less than a year ago it was trading at $41 and look at it now.

Good luck to all you day traders!!!

Congradulations dude you were using your head instead of getting mad, I wish I had done the same.
You can be sure that next time I will be using my head and cashing in like you did.
I did buy a bunch of Northwest stock when it was super low thinking I was going to make out big
time but with them getting hit from so many different directions at once with high oil, hurricanes and strike etc. they decided to go bankrupt on me, I did get out before they actually filed so I did not lose much compared to what I could have gained.

Once again Congradulations I always like to hear a fellow day trader doing well. :up: :up:

It doesn't always work though. I took some butt-puckering losses on both United and USAir. I looked at Northwest also but for some reason I chickened out. Thats the downside of day trading - within minutes you can take a hit. I also advocate using more than one investment source, such as Scottrade, Etrade and Sharebuilder. I know many have less than nice things to say about Sharebuilder but so far they have worked well for me.

I'm still an advocate of a changing of the guard so to speak. I can't help but think that if AMR had a shake-up in top management, such as all the O's (CEO, COO, CFO, etc) it would start a nice turnaround in the financial picture. All they are doing now is scaring off new investments, and severely injuring those who are locked in.

Remember, their bonus money next year will be based on this year's performance. It's been a good year for the airline in many ways but that fuel is just killing them all. But what the hell, at least all of Bush's oil holdings being held in trust are performing magnificently and if the NYT is even half correct, he'll be leaving the white house a multi billionaire.

Remember, their bonus money next year will be based on this year's performance. It's been a good year for the airline in many ways but that fuel is just killing them all.

Next year's bonus is based largely on how AMR stock performs this year relative to the peer group. Since AMR is down a larger percentage than the peers, the PSP payouts will be much smaller next spring.

It doesn't always work though. I took some butt-puckering losses on both United and USAir. I looked at Northwest also but for some reason I chickened out. Thats the downside of day trading - within minutes you can take a hit. I also advocate using more than one investment source, such as Scottrade, Etrade and Sharebuilder. I know many have less than nice things to say about Sharebuilder but so far they have worked well for me.

I'm still an advocate of a changing of the guard so to speak. I can't help but think that if AMR had a shake-up in top management, such as all the O's (CEO, COO, CFO, etc) it would start a nice turnaround in the financial picture. All they are doing now is scaring off new investments, and severely injuring those who are locked in.

Remember, their bonus money next year will be based on this year's performance. It's been a good year for the airline in many ways but that fuel is just killing them all. But what the hell, at least all of Bush's oil holdings being held in trust are performing magnificently and if the NYT is even half correct, he'll be leaving the white house a multi billionaire.

Sorry to hear about your losses on United and USAir, I use Scottrade for my trading and various other sources for Information on potential buys.

I keep hoping another oppertunity like the AA one will come up, I could use a big score to pay off my house just in case everything does go to hell at AA someday soon.

Good luck on your trading if you get any really hot leads send me a message I will look into it.

Sadly, almost all carriers stock will probably be going down as long as oil is going up. Speculative traders may be looking at some of the stronger carriers like WN when oil hits what they hope is its peak and might see that as a time to buy hoping to make a quick buck but who buys airline stocks for the long term anyway? I remember cashing out my US Airways stock sometime between the first and second bankruptcy when it was in the tanks ( I was an employee and it was free to me ) and transfered my funds from my etrade account to my bank account and I think it covered a pizza from Papa johns (and some bread sticks) , seriously..... that sucks. LOL....

Sadly, almost all carriers stock will probably be going down as long as oil is going up. Speculative traders may be looking at some of the stronger carriers like WN when oil hits what they hope is its peak and might see that as a time to buy hoping to make a quick buck but who buys airline stocks for the long term anyway? I remember cashing out my US Airways stock sometime between the first and second bankruptcy when it was in the tanks ( I was an employee and it was free to me ) and transfered my funds from my etrade account to my bank account and I think it covered a pizza from Papa johns (and some bread sticks) , seriously..... that sucks. LOL....
I agree NEVER buy Airline stocks for long term get in and out, the good thing about Airline stocks is
the volativity of it, you can't make any money on a stock that does not move up or down. :rolleyes:

The Airlines will have to figure out a way to beat this fuel problem or everyone will suffer, the Employee's the passengers Everyone.

Personally I would like to see Hydrogen take off, then we could get rid of foreign oil altogether.

There may be a "silver lining" to the stock dropping like a rock, and oil going well above $100, and that is(as my fellow, very SMART AA posters know), it will SURELY start the M + A's snowball rolling down the hill.
Something that is Soooooooooooooooo long overdue !

When the Sh!t hits the fan, and the sea gets very rough, I like the AA row boat(A BIG part being A/E) during these, sure to come, .....times !

Could be some very nice "bargains" floating around, and I don't mean stocks !

Time will tell(as it always does)

Well if Bonuses are paid on stock price increases, does the management we are preventing from leaving have to give back the bonus when the stock price tanks?

Latest posts