AMR ready to hit a new 52 week low?

Barfbag

Veteran
Oct 30, 2006
AMR hit 5% below yesterday's closing price.

Current Price: 4.89 (Tue Jul 1 09:40:06 2008 EDT)

Volume Day High Day Low Year High Year Low
164622 5.04 4.83 29.32 4.79

:shock:

I expect AMR stock to hit double digit prices by late fall, unless the price of fuel comes down drastically.

Their stock is definitely something to seriously consider holding on to. There are some pension funds shaking in their boots right now and it doesn't look to get any better for them.

I expect AMR stock to hit double digit prices by late fall, unless the price of fuel comes down drastically.

Their stock is definitely something to seriously consider holding on to. There are some pension funds shaking in their boots right now and it doesn't look to get any better for them.

Stock Alert

AMR hit a new 52 week low.

Current Price: 4.77 (Tue Jul 1 11:48:14 2008 EDT)

10354833 5.12 4.76 29.32 4.79

I expect AMR to hit double digits again someday (not necessarily this fall), but what are you saying with the second phrase "unless the price of fuel comes down drastically?" My guess is that AMR only hits double digits if fuel comes down drastically.

Please explain why pension funds are currently shaking in their boots because of the price of AMR - I don't follow your post.

Unless fuel prices come down drastically, the stock will hit double digits. If it comes down, the stock will most likely fare better.

As for the pension funds - there are more than a few that are heavily invested in AMR stock by and through their pension fund investment companies. They thought they were sitting pretty at $40/share, imagine the look on their face when it hits 99 cents!

Stock Alert

AMR hit a new 52 week low.

Current Price: 4.77 (Tue Jul 1 11:48:14 2008 EDT)

10354833 5.12 4.76 29.32 4.79

Symbol AMR 4.60/share 01jul08 @1234 [Common Stock]

Symbol AAR 13.50/share 01jul08 @ 1234 [Exchange Traded EETC, pays .491 dividend per quarter/share]

Evidently, there are a few that believe AMR will still be able to pay its bills for a while.

Any pension fund manager who invested heavily in airline stock should be tarred and feathered.

I agree! However, a lot of these huge stockholders are investment funds that do the investing for a lot of large pension plans.

RE: The Goose: Symbol AAR 13.50/share 01jul08 @ 1234 [Exchange Traded EETC, pays .491 dividend per quarter/share]

AAR isn't their commonly traded stock, in fact, most brokers won't sell it. On top of that, less than half a cent in dividends isn't exactly something to click your heels over.

RE: The Goose: Symbol AAR 13.50/share 01jul08 @ 1234 [Exchange Traded EETC, pays .491 dividend per quarter/share]

AAR isn't their commonly traded stock, in fact, most brokers won't sell it. On top of that, less than half a cent in dividends isn't exactly something to click your heels over.

AAR is AMR debt - the quarterly interest payment is 49 cents, not half a cent. For those who want ordinary income and high yields, it's attractive.

Any pension fund manager who invested heavily in airline stock should be tarred and feathered.

What about those who bought AMR at less than $1.50/sh in March, 2003 and sold for 20 to 30 times as much less than four years later? I would want them managing my funds, not tarred & feathered.

What about those who bought AMR at less than $1.50/sh in March, 2003 and sold for 20 to 30 times as much less than four years later? I would want them managing my funds, not tarred & feathered.

I am referring to airline stock in general...and the high risk of bankruptcy...
And what about those who bought AMR at $1.50/sh and held on to it thinking it would go higher?

There up about $3.35 as of today...

I am referring to airline stock in general...and the high risk of bankruptcy...
And what about those who bought AMR at $1.50/sh and held on to it thinking it would go higher?

There up about $3.35 as of today...

True, the "buy and hold" crowd has held on too long (should have sold in Jan 2007), but even in your hypothetical example, that holder is still up over 200% in those five years, outpacing most money managers. A five year return over 200% is enviable.